The Wednesday Thread

dan_tm

Apparently he really liked the setup you've got as well. Hopefully he likes floodwater, he might enjoy his talks in Hillsborough too.

The only real edge we have is our manager, who obviously brought Sharp up in the Scunthorpe side, plus we've just signed another Scunny defender so he can hook back up with some old team mates by coming here.

That's true enough. Although we signed his strike partner Andy Keough last season, so that may influence him slightly. Are you guys in for any other strikers or are you happy with Leon Clarke? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Blasts from the pasts:

David Hirst's Puma advert!

Chris Waddle chipping Dave Beasant from the halfway line with the outside of his left foot in an MTV five-a-side tournament!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84WknW52eYw

Michele Di Piedi's, the Sizzling Sicilian's*, extra time overhead kick to send Premiership Sunderland crashing out of the League Cup!

*I just made that up.

Michele Di Piedi's, the Sizzling Sicilian's*, extra time overhead kick to send Premiership Sunderland crashing out of the League Cup!

*I just made that up.

I'm pretty sure we came 1st and 2nd in that year's 'best goal in the Worthington Cup'.

I can't remember if Michele's was top but the other was the pitch-long run (by Hamshaw I think), taking on about 6 players against Watword in the 4-0 quarter-final drubbing we gave them.

There's no video of that on YouTube though :)

Oh, and a rumor I've heard... We're the English club that has a bid in for Naismith, has anyone else heard this?

Kilmarnock haven't said anything other than an English team has a bid on the table that they've considered, they're expecting to hear back from whoever it is in the next couple of days. The only other team interested (as far as I know) were Rangers and they've just pulled out because they think he's overvalued after having their 4th bid rejected. From what I've heard Kilmarnock were holding out for a £1.5M bid, seeing as we bid almost £2M for Sharp the other week I think it could actually be us...

I'd take Naismith as a replacement for MacLean any day, he seems to have a bit of skill and is a quality finisher - he's on penalty duty up there too, so he could basically fit right into Maclean's ex-role. Plus he's only 17, he won the young player of the year in the Scottish Premiership last season. I reckon he'd play alongside Burton for his experience and Tudgay would be kept wide right in midfield - even though I think Tudgay's much more effective up front I think that could work really well for us. He can always stay forward to make a front 3 when we're needing a goal.

Here's a few clips of Naismith in action:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jk9ueGcM0c

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rhufedme4rY

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye7JtkA5hqs

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=A_moyN7KJBE

Rsdio: He does say 'inept chip'. :)

Dan: *sigh*. Wherever Wednesday are concerned recently I've been expecting the worst. To pull off the Naismith signing would be the coup that get me out of my duldrums bought on by:

Macca leaving. For nothing.

Coughlan leaving. For nothing. While we give Bullen a contract.

And the only signings we have made so far, in our apparant "going for it" season, have been a utility player and two keepers. Glad about Watson though.

I just want Allen to fuck off and us to be taken over. Still. Let's hope this fella is still here to light up another mid table stint. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmg5WFdeIVA

Well the takeover is looking more and more likely if you believe what you read in the papers, Allen's supposedly been talking to that ex-Everton investor (I forget his name) since January. Hopefully he can bring us some much needed investment if he gets in.

One thing though, either Allen really does care about us or we're probably not going to get taken over. If he knew he was on his way out and didn't really care about us he'd have sold off Brunt/Simek/Whelan etc. surely? They would probably bring in 4 or 5 million quid for him to take as a leaving present.

Regarding the transfer dealings; it looks like it was Kenwyne Jones we were after again, according to the official website we had an improved bid of £2M rejected and were specifically told he's not for sale apparently. I don't think we have the spending power to get them to back down on him to be honest.

It's also reported on the official site we have another £2M bid in for another striker, but according to Laws he has a "good vibe" that this one is going to be successful. To me that means Naismith is out of the question because in an interview I listened to last night he said he didn't want to move to England for at least another season or two.

So who else could it be?

Well.... Maybe it isn't an offer to a club?

£2M could pay Fowler £18k a week for 2 years, not that I'm sure he'd be the right option for us - and with a wage the size of that in comparison to our current players it could add a bit of unneeded tension. Would Fowler even accept wages of £18k p/w, what was he on at Liverpool?

If it's not Fowler, which I doubt anyway, who else is on the market for £2 million?

[edit]

I really don't know if Robbie would fit in with us either... I know we need some experience with a pretty young squad overall - but he would make our front-two pairing a combined age of 64.

I'd put good money against Fowler appearing at Hillsbrough, it'd seem very odd.

As for the takeover, meh, it gets discussed regularly and he hasn't pissed off yet. If it is happening then I'm sure he wouldn't sell off the best players as that would put the deal in real jeopardy instantly, whether he wanted to or not. But I do think he likes the club a lot, he's just (relatively) poor and (very) inept.

The rumour is the £2m bid is for Richard Cresswell.

If that's the case, we're bloody idiots. Anything more than 750k for him is a complete waste of cash.

Christ, it better not be. Didn't we let him go on a free?

[edit]

That'd be more than Healy. It can't be true, surely.

Christ, it better not be. Didn't we let him go on a free?

[edit]

That'd be more than Healy. It can't be true, surely.

Course it can be true, logic doesnt come into it when we're talking about the current board!

Another name I've heard is Rowan Vine.

Though in all honesty, I cant see any REAL £2m bids being made.

Sounds like the bid has been accepted and we're allowed to talk to the player now.

Still no idea who the player is or what club they're from but I'm sure Radio Sheffield will be watching Hillsborough for any new faces arriving during the week.

So, we (Blackpool) signed John Hills last week after you released him. Obviously we've had him (twice) before, but a few years have passed since then, so what's he like these days? Do you guys rate him? Where did he predominantly play for you? He played anywhere down the left side for us when he was here last.

He's gone on record here as saying that Laws rated him as your best left-back, but released him simply because he was out of contract and the other left-backs weren't. Is this bullshit?

Any feedback most appreciated. We look forward to beating you 4 times in one season once again, should cup competitions give us that opportunity.

:)

If I had the choice of keeping either Bougherra or MacLean last season I would have taken MacLean every time, and we got £3 million for the former.

Letting Maclean go for nothing is one of the most retarded things Wednesday have done in a good few years, that's quite an achievement even for our board. It was a similar situation with JP McGovern last season, I still think he could have done a great job for us. MacLean certainly could have given the chance.

Just looking at the stats from last season on the Wednesday website; MacLean scored 13 goals from 17 shots on target.

There wasn't really much doubt in my mind that he was the best finisher at the club, but wow.

Press Conference On Friday

Posted on: Wed 18 Jul 2007

Sheffield Wednesday have called a press conference for Friday afternoon at Hillsborough with regard to the club's takeover.

Accredited members of the media should report to the club's main reception with the press conference set for a 2pm start.

We will bring you details of this press conference shortly after it is concluded on swfc.co.uk

They wouldn't call a press conference if it had fallen through would they?

Regarding Rasiak, I've always liked that guy for some reason so I'd love to see him at Hillsborough, but £2m seems a bit on the steep side.

So, we (Blackpool) signed John Hills last week after you released him. Obviously we've had him (twice) before, but a few years have passed since then, so what's he like these days? Do you guys rate him? Where did he predominantly play for you? He played anywhere down the left side for us when he was here last.

He's gone on record here as saying that Laws rated him as your best left-back, but released him simply because he was out of contract and the other left-backs weren't. Is this bullshit?

Any feedback most appreciated. We look forward to beating you 4 times in one season once again, should cup competitions give us that opportunity.

:)

I liked Hills. I rated him, he was slightly injury prone, but no more than your average 29 year old. He's lost a little bit of pace and does tire a bit easily, he'll sit back so he doesn't have to run very far as he knows his weaknesses...He mostly played at left back for us under Laws, and left midfield under Sturrock before him. He was better at left back, and was the best in our squad in that position. Which isn't hard though, to be fair. We've only got 2 players that can play there, and one of them is a left footed centre half...it's our weakest position by a mile.

So the reason as to why we've let him go? Well, we're skint, have a knob for a chairman, are probably on the verge of a takeover, so our chariman isn't going to go splashing out when he can sit back, watch mid-table mediocrity and then cash in and fu*k off. In other words, exactly what he said Laws told him.

Good luck for the season, I'm sure he'll do alright.

Sounds like it's not only the championship that gets the shit referees then...

Ten Against Ten After Bizarre Incident

Posted on: Wed 18 Jul 2007

Sheffield Wednesday's pre-season match against SC Heerenveen took a strange twist when Deon Burton was red carded late in the first half, resulting in both teams starting the second half with ten men.

Burton was effectively sent off for dissent in what appeared to be a ridiculous refereeing decision at Leek's Roodenburg ground.

Referee, Mr R Bossen, blew up for a foul by Wade Small on Heerenveen goalkeeper, Brian van dem Brussche. Burton made a comment about the decision but when Mr Bossen demanded the striker come to him he did not walk directly to the man in charge.

The referee immediately flashed the red card at the Owls joint top scorer from last season to the amazement of almost everyone in the ground.

Players and coaching staff protested to the referee for the decision, which seemed incredibly harsh, especially in a friendly match.

Brian Laws asked the referee to rescind the red card because he did not want to field ten men and risk injuries so early in pre-season but the referee refused.

Coaching staff from Heerenveen also expressed displeasure at the decision because they did not want to play against ten men. However, the referee would not back down so the two clubs decided to play with ten men on each side to make the game even after the break.

Wednesday had taken the lead in the fifth minute from Chris Brunt's penalty and there had been little ill feeling to speak of in the match prior to Burton's dismissal.

If the referee reports the red card to the footballing authorities Burton could face a suspension.

Following the decision to red card the striker, Mr Bossen blew the half time whistle early and there was a prolonged period of half time before the game resumed with a noticeably slower tempo.

Wade Small extended the Owls on the hour-mark but Heerenveen pulled one back with 15 minutes remaining and another in the dying stages to make it 2-2 at the final whistle. We will bring you a full match report in due course.

Away from the sending offs, I see we're still planning on carrying on our tradition of conceding late goals for next season.

Has anyone been following the recent goings on?

Basically, Allen blames the fall down of a potential takeover on the 10% of shares owned by Wednesdayite (shares gifted to fans of the club) and states that without them being handed back to the club, there's no chance of any future takeover. However, Wednesdayite have continuesly been prepared to discuss any potential takeover bids, and how these shares can come in good use, but Allen has refused to talk.

At the press conference yesterday, Allen called Wednesdayite members 'cretins' and 'scum' in addition to branding us as 'yobs' in the past.

Add all that to rumours that he's fallen out with large numbers of the Sheffield based press, in addition to persuing lawsuits against Wednesday fans for daring to speak out against him via certain messageboards, and safe to say that the club will not get a single penny from outside match tickets until there's a change at the top.

So now we have brought him to the attention of wealthier Championship Clubs, I'm sure he will be going elsewhere. When I first heard this news, my first comment was.. 'Can we even afford his wages?'.

We'll see.