The Wednesday Thread

dan_tm

Definitely a case of "left it too late", but it's fucking ace to see a strong top-half finish is likely. Laws could do us some good next season, as long as we manage to get out of the habit of winning-streak/losing-streak and replace it with actual consistency.

It's a case of keeping hold of Whelan, Brunt and Simek - in that order.

They had an excuse with Bougherra, he wanted a quick route into the Premiership by whatever means necessary and made it clear he would prefer to play for Charlton or Everton than us - although strangely dismissed Reading didn't he?

With the three players I mentioned it's pretty clear that they have quite a bit of affection for the club - Whelan especially, I feel. I don't think they will be handing in transfer requests if a mid-table Premiership team came in for them, put it that way. This time it's all down to Allen, if he sells any of those three players he's a dead man. He couldn't possibly say we're strengthening to push for promotion with a straight face next year if we let any of those gems go.

I would be delighted if we can keep MacLean and Burton too, being out of contract this year. They've proven themselves to be goalscorers and would be preferable than anyone else who we'd be gambling on fitting straight into the team to get us some wins next year. I'd also be happy for Bullen if he got a new deal even though I don't think he's had the best of seasons this year, he's the heart and soul of SWFC and always seems to wear his heart on his sleeve. We love him and he loves us.

What we need to do in the summer is use the majority of the Bougherra money to bring in a QUALITY keeper, not someone who used to be good and coming to the end of their career so we can get them on the cheap, we need a quality Championship keeper. Providing we manage to keep the three players mentioned earlier all I think we need after a keeper is a centre back to play with Wood and a left back as Hills hasn't been too reliable this season, Spurr would be a great backup.

As nice as Billy Sharp would be, we don't need him.

• 4 weeks later...

You've gotta love some of the e-mails doing the rounds at the minute, like this one I got.

Now on sale!!

1961179152290py3.jpg

Can you guess who is to blame?

1961179152334as2.jpg

Was it……………………

Benitez at the Cottage with half the reserves,

Fergie at Old Trafford with the (Barely) weakened side,

Or Tevez’s Agent Round the Back with the Brown Envelope?

Other pieces include…...

Unsworth on Our Side with the Badly Missed Penalty,

Sky on the Telly with the need to pay for that Stupid Contract,

Unsworth on Their Side with the Well Taken Penalty,

The Premiership on the Make with their need to keep Sky happy,

Or Warnock in the Premiership without a Clue?

Only £30,000,000 while stocks last

Now Reduced (To Tears)

• 1 month later...

As a Cardiff fan - I assume we've nabbed a good player here as you are all unhappy about him leaving.

Ridsdale has probably offered him £20,000 a week and a £5,000 goal bonus (for every goal scored in the Championship each week)

Just a bit.

He was easily the best striker at Wednesday, he's the sort of player teams pay millions for - someone that can put the ball in the net.

What I don't understand is why Deon Burton got a new contract and Steve didn't? No offence to Deon, he's got great hold up play and every once in a while he shows touches of genius, his finishing has even improved through the season. By why, why would you keep him and not MacLean when the latter is obviously the better player, and by several times the better finisher?

The stats speak for themselves, MacLean played half the number of games Burton did last season (God knows why) yet still finished joint top-scorer with him. Even going back to 3 seasons ago in League One, when Burton was at Brentford: MacLean was our top-scorer with 20 from 39 games (missing the last 2 months of the season through injury), and even though Brentford finished above us in the league Burton only managed 10 goals from 48 appearances.

More recently, this season: MacLean got 13 from 23 games, Burton got 13 from 37.

It doesn't make sense.

Strange how we can somehow find 1.5m to splash out on Billy Sharp - a player not proven at Championship level - but not come up with the 50k we needed to hand over to Rangers and offer MacLean a well deserved new contract.

Let's see how the club spins that one when it comes to light that our actual bid for Sharp was a second hand copy of Blade Runner, and a half eaten bar of Galaxy.

As a Cardiff fan - I assume we've nabbed a good player here as you are all unhappy about him leaving.

Ridsdale has probably offered him £20,000 a week and a £5,000 goal bonus (for every goal scored in the Championship each week)

Yeah, I'm pleased with this deal. Still not as good as that guy from Hibs who signed for Celtic after agreeing to join us. And we lost out on Kris Boyd to Rangers a few years back. Damn Old Firm.

Just a bit.

He was easily the best striker at Wednesday, he's the sort of player teams pay millions for - someone that can put the ball in the net.

What I don't understand is why Deon Burton got a new contract and Steve didn't? No offence to Deon, he's got great hold up play and every once in a while he shows touches of genius, his finishing has even improved through the season. By why, why would you keep him and not MacLean when the latter is obviously the better player, and by several times the better finisher?

The stats speak for themselves, MacLean played half the number of games Burton did last season (God knows why) yet still finished joint top-scorer with him. Even going back to 3 seasons ago in League One, when Burton was at Brentford: MacLean was our top-scorer with 20 from 39 games (missing the last 2 months of the season through injury), and even though Brentford finished above us in the league Burton only managed 10 goals from 48 appearances.

More recently, this season: MacLean got 13 from 23 games, Burton got 13 from 37.

It doesn't make sense.

Plus you've not mentioned age either - Burton might only have a couple of seasons in him, Maclean could have a decade left.

MacLean always looked a class act whenever he played against us, right back to him scoring a hat-trick for Scunthorpe when they pummelled us 6-2 in the dark days of League 2. I'm surprised you seem to have let him go so easily.

Jesus. I was expecting him to go, but Cardiff? Jesus.

JESUS.

Are we really a less desirable club to play for than Cardiff?

To be fair, first few months of last season Cardiff were easily the class of the Championship. I think the club is only a few players away from maintaining that all season. Strength in depth counts and our strikers last season were awful. If Chopra wasn't scoring no one was. Hopefully Maclean can change that.

To be fair, first few months of last season Cardiff were easily the class of the Championship.

And Wednesday were easily one of the top form teams of the second half of the season...

Whatever way you look at it, Wednesday are a bigger team than Cardiff have ever been and that is unlikely to change anytime in the near future. However hard Wednesday try and ruin it.

It was obvious he wanted to stay though, with his 'actions' towards the end of the season when contract offers weren't forthcoming. He ran into the crowd several times after scoring towards the end of the season too, you could tell he knew he wouldn't get many more chances to show his appreciation to the fans.

I'm as surprised as everyone that he went to Cardiff though, it'd be good to improve his profile playing week in week out I guess, but I expected a team like Fulham or Wigan to snap him up - he could do a good job in the Premiership.

I'm still bemused why we didn't get him on another contract though. Even if they didn't think he was good enough for the team (which he blatantly is), they should have at least given him a year. They would have had to pay Rangers £50k sure, but they'd have been able to offload him in January for several times that amount. We'd have some extra goals and points too, maybe they'd even realise the error in their ways trying to ship him off.

No wonder we're in debt.

Whatever way you look at it, Wednesday are a bigger team than Cardiff have ever been and that is unlikely to change anytime in the near future. However hard Wednesday try and ruin it.

I don't really think size of clubs matters much to players. He was clearly offered more money and must think Cardiff offers him the quickest route into the top flight. Forest are a bigger club (TWO European Cups!) than, say, Wigan. It's not helping them much.

Wednesday set for talks with Billy Sharp

So we've managed to agree a fee with Scunthorpe then, that must mean we've just about matched Norwich's £3M offer. In a way I'm not that surprised, we offered them £1.5M so I don't see why we couldn't just say "we'll give you another million or two when we get into the Premiership". Once we're in there it's not like it's going to be that much money, he could really help us achieve it though.

At least the sale of MacLean is starting to make a little more sense now...

Hmm...

For some reason I had it in my head that he was a Wednesday fan, turns out he's a blade. I doubt he'll want to come to play for us then, especially considering United seem to be interested in buying him as well.

it'll be interesting to see where Sharp ends up. I've read he's a Sheff Utd fan, can you see him joining Wednesday with that in mind?

I'm still hoping he'll join our lot, but it looks as if Norwich are front runners at the moment, only because they've bid the most.

Apparently he really liked the setup you've got as well. Hopefully he likes floodwater, he might enjoy his talks in Hillsborough too.

The only real edge we have is our manager, who obviously brought Sharp up in the Scunthorpe side, plus we've just signed another Scunny defender so he can hook back up with some old team mates by coming here.

Wednesday have been forced to close their Hillsborough ground after heavy flooding left the pitch submerged.

The nearby River Don has burst its banks, leaving the immediate area without electricity and working telephone lines.

A club spokesman said: "We're waiting for the assistance of the fire service to get the water pumped away, then we can assess the damage to the playing surface and the undersoil heating.

"We're maybe looking at the cancellation of the pre-season game against Birmingham on 4 August, but we're still five weeks away from the first home game of the new season on 11 August.

"The water rose as high as Row F in the main stand, probably up to 6ft and there is probably about 3ft of water still on the pitch which does not seem to be draining very quickly at all."

0,,10304~3301177,00.jpg