The Wednesday Thread

dan_tm

It's voting time!

kit_1.jpg

kit_2.jpg

kit_3.jpg

Go here to vote: http://www.swfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/...~961673,00.html

Personally, I'm not too fond of any of them really. I like the green one the most but the stripes on the arm put me off. I might vote for the orange one...

PS. Good result yesterday, despite the fact we should have won it and also should have been playing 10 men for 80 minutes.

Ditto, I'd go for the green if it wasn't for the stripes on the arms. So orange it is.

Also what a game. Second half was amazing, definately should have been a red card for the body slam and glad our heads didn't go down after the penalty (as imo, we deserved a win).

What is it with G Poll and controversy, the corner flag incident was amusing to say the least. When the guy ran on with a new corner flag it was like the carrying of the olympic torch. Let the games begin!

Hm, yes, it was a decent result yesterday, but to be honest I'm still smarting a bit from that home loss to Hull. I was beginning to get complacent, expecting us to win games, so that loss brought me down to Earth with a bang.

It's results like that which haunt you when you miss out on the play-offs by a couple of points. Still, better than being relegated eh?

Voted for number 2!

And definately agree with the sentiments of what happened Sunday. Poll is an attention seeking twat. He got the Pen wrong, the Micah Richards incident wrong, didn't card Samaras for celebrating right near our fans, but carded Macca for jumping into our Kop? Faffed about when the corner flag got broken, etc. It's a shame that if he didn't have such a big ego, he'd be a good ref.

Anyway. I do hope we put in a decent performance in the replay. I'm a bit worried that the chance to beat City has passed, as we'll be very lucky to see them play so averagely again. We can but hope. At least it's televised, so if we can't get to the match, it'll be on Sky.

Oh, and have you seen this mock up for a new Lotto manufactured home kit? It's a piss take, but it's based on Udinese's Lotto kit...you never know.

shirtgx2lm7.jpg

I agree regarding the Hull game. I went to Barnsley away and was in such a buoyant mood going into the Hull match - boy was I certainly brought back down to earth. Not suprising really, but it is difficult not to get excited.

Any one trying to get tickets for Man City away then? Hopefully will be getting some this friday, £15 as well, bargain. Heres hoping they actually are as bad as they were at Hillsborough and it wasn't just an off day.

I told the Utd fan next to me that the Lotto mock up was real. Let's see where he goes with this. ;)

Any of you lot coming to Derby on Saturday, someone reckons you have sold 5000 tickets which I find hard to believe.

Im worried you might get a result, we've had 2 chances already this season to do the 'double' over teams but failed both times. So after already beating you away im wary.

To be fair, we didn't deserve to lose against you at our place! :lol:

And I'm pretty certain that we sell out at the vast majority of our away games, Derby's only just down the road anyway so it doesn't seem that surprising if we have.

To be fair, we didn't deserve to lose against you at our place! :(

I was there, so will be the first to admit it! :lol:

Having said that, I think that was the last game of your really bad spell I think? So maybe being robbed did you a favour.

I reckon I might go Saturday then. Say what you want about Sheff Weds there away support is always good I agree.

Owls Confirm Bougherra Offer

Sheffield Wednesday chief executive Kaven Walker has EXCLUSIVELY told swfc.co.uk that the club has rejected Charlton Athletic's bid for Madjid Bougherra.

The Algerian international has been a hit at Hillsborough since signing in the summer, remaining ever-present in the Championship, and scoring in the wins over Ipswich Town and West Bromwich Albion.

On Wednesday morning, media reports suggested that Charlton had made a £1.3 million offer for the 24-year-old. And, while Mr Walker has confirmed the bid has been made, he said the offer was rejected.

He told the official Sheffield Wednesday website: "We have rejected a £1.3 million offer from Charlton Athletic for Madjid Bougherra. He is not for sale."

There's no doubt that this guy is one of the best signings that we've made for several years but for all the good he does he gives at least 1 clear goal-scoring opportunity to the opposition every single game.

£1,300,000 is a lot of money...

Well he wasn't able to play against Man City because of his suspension but the replay is going to be live on Sky, if he performs well against them I'd expect Charlton to up their offer or maybe we'll even see other clubs try and come in for him...

We do have Richard Wood coming back from 11 months of injury but it looks like we're going to be selling Coughlan too. Even if Wood can instantly get back into good form we wouldn't have much backup in central defence - it's also pretty clear that our recent (excellent) form is due to the competition for places which we would no longer have if we did let those two go.

So what do you guys reckon to Leon Clarke? I must admit, as a Wolves fan, I'm very happy to see the back of him, and I'm amazed we managed to get 250k.

To be fair though, the two goals he got against your lot at Molinuex this season were quality.

We need a big lad. Simple as. And to be honest, I doubt it was as much as the 250k that was reported...and our strike force isn't as healthy as many believe. Macca and Tudgay, fine. Burton may be a good footballer, but he can't bloody score. Talbot? Untried and injury prone. Graham? No confidence and a bit workshy. Corr? Rubbish.

Anyway, onto last night!

I'm proud of them, they played well. The only big problem being our fucking rubbish attempt at an offside trap, which was always going to be difficult when trying it with 2 centre halves with a combined age of 67! And as pacey as my Grandad.

Who's dead.

Vassell had a field day, as did the runners from midfield. Anyway, it was a fun match to watch, and won't have done the lads confidence any harm. It's just a shame that the soulless City Of Manchester, Ikea built New Wave lego stadium is completely devoid of any atmosphere. Give me Hillsborough any day. I'd rather have to queue for a pie and stand in a bit of piss and enjoy my day than be bored stiff in a deathly silent Prawn sandwich eating monster. The noise just disappears into thin air.

Bring on the Black Cats!

Edit: I just saw last nights scorer Lee Bullen in Meadowhall and completely bottled saying something to him like a little frightened schoolgirl. I'm 31 for Gods sake. :P

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bougherra.com/video.php?video=madjidaller0607.wmv

Bye bye Madjid, we will miss you.

A story on the official site was up this morning claiming that Everton had agreed a fee with us for him, but had then pulled out after negotiations for personal terms........

And then the story disappeared! Mysterious...looks like it's back on then? Either way, we won't see him in a Wednesday shirt again. *Sniff*

Not will we see the young scamp Talbot, off to pastures new with the 'mighty' Luton for 1/4 mil. Good luck lad. Ta for the memories. :lol:

_41198291_talbot-getty300.jpg

Bit of a blow, that. From what I've seen, they've both been performing. Then again, the money's a boon too - sharpen up the squad in crucial places, and push for the playoffs (next year maybe, I don't reckon we're in with a realistic shout this season).

Nor do I.

My two penneth? No money will be spent in this tranfer window, but it will be promised to be spent on players in the summer and we'll get two players on loan.

Allen will have then sourced his takeover consortium and ride off into the sunset without having touched any of his 2-3mil raised by the sale of Madjid and Drew. Leaving us with a weak squad and fighting relegation until we are saved by a Chinese multi millionaire and storm the Premiership, taking a Champions League spot in our first season.

Nor do I.

My two penneth? No money will be spent in this tranfer window, but it will be promised to be spent on players in the summer and we'll get two players on loan.

Allen will have then sourced his takeover consortium and ride off into the sunset without having touched any of his 2-3mil raised by the sale of Madjid and Drew. Leaving us with a weak squad and fighting relegation until we are saved by a Chinese multi millionaire and storm the Premiership, taking a Champions League spot in our first season.

This is almost entirely correct.

Can you guess which bit isn't?

For me, this 2.5 million we'll be receiving for Madjid is the first piece of decent business we've done for a fair old while. When did we last buy a player for a measily amount of cash, and flog them on for massive profit? Though it does indeed smack of a lack of ambition (though remember that Madjid isnt the finished article - remember all those mistakes he made?) we've got to remember that to survive, we've got to become one of those mid-table Championship 'selling clubs' in the short term.

Shame about Drew, but other than 'that' goal in the play-off final, he's not really performed that well. Hope he manages to do well at Luton and put all his injury problems behind him.

As much as I love Magic I really hope he can't pull it off in the Premiership now, especially at Charlton. The way this has all been handled has been a farce, I've no doubt that Pardew and probably Bougherra's agent were the main reasons the deal with Everton fell through. I get the feeling that his agent probably told Madjid to tell Everton exactly what he told Wednesday, he doesn't want to play for anyone except Charlton - presumably because the agent would be getting a bigger pay cheque. No sane player would rather go to Charlton than Everton at the minute, especially if they're as desperate for Premiership football as Bougherra seems to be.

I now have a new team to hate in the Premiership, although not for too long :lol:

See you next year Madjid!

I've read a few things about the deal that smacks of his agent wheeler dealing. But he himself has said that the the reason he's gone to Charlton is that Everton wanted him to play in midfield while he prefers to play in defence. Also, that he'd get first team football at Charlton, not at Everton. And that he respects Alan Pardew as a manager and a man.

But do we believe that? Do we fuck. I mostly believe that the deal clinche was the £16k per week he's getting at Charlon, while Everton were only offering £10k, and he get's to ponce around London in his and not Albert Dock. Nobody in their right mind would choose fucking Charlton over Everton right now.

And that's why we'll see him next season.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes the expected descent into shite has materialised just as we all knew it would. Great idea selling Madjid. We seem incapable of conceding less than 2 goals a game since his departure.

Scraping a home win against relegation fodder with a dodgy last minute penalty doesn't exactly fill me with hope. But hey, beggars can't be choosers.

Has anyone seen any Wednesday news in the papers today or on Monday? They usually have all the reports from the weekend's games on the website but they've posted a report on Chris Brunt from a couple of months ago for no aparrant reason. Seems a bit strange.

I just wondered if they're tyring to hide anything about this MacLean business.

• 1 month later...

Sooooo, with Sunderland winning earlier in the week we're still 2nd in the recent form table and edging point by point closer to the playoffs every week. 6 more to go as it currently stands, if only we didn't succumb to Wolves in injury time after Simek got his marching orders a few weeks ago... In fact, if only we didn't conceed last minute goals every other home game to throw away victories, we'd be top of the league!

Anyway, I just filled in the last few fixtures of the season using the BBC's score predictor, completely truthfully as well - not 'fixing' games just so we could catch up to the playoffs. I marked us down to thrash Birmingham away which is probably a little bit optimistic but we're out for revenge, we can take them!

Here's what I came up with:

playoffsjl0.png

I think I'll have to show my faith by going out to get a ticket for Brum tomorrow now...