The Wednesday Thread

dan_tm

this is great, i didn't even know we had a wednesday thread. this season's proving disappointing, i really didn't think we'd have to be looking at another scrap down the bottom.

i'll do my best to help by staying away from hillsborough. seriously, i'm cursed. i generally manage to get along once or twice per season, what with uni and all that, and the odd away game: and i haven't seen wednesday win in ten years.

ten years, guys. and the last game i went to see was wrexham in the carling cup.

i'm cursed.

Don't even go there. :(

It's things like this that knocks 2k off the attendances, which is exactly what we don't need right now.

I just wish Uncle Dave would either put some serious money where his mouth is, or swallow his stupid pride and flog it to someone that's got the bollocks to do so.

:unsure: and again :(

I just wish Uncle Dave would either put some serious money where his mouth is, or swallow his stupid pride and flog it to someone that's got the bollocks to do so.

:( and again :unsure:

Agreed.

I don't know what to think, we still have our injury problems as an excuse. What else could be done except bring in the cash? How wealthy is Allen anyway and would he consider any cash of his added as a 'loan' to the club?

He's not that wealthy, with respect to footy chairman. 70mil or so? And it'd take what to get us a serious promotion challenging squad? 5? But then...how much more do you have to spend to stay up, as we've seen the other side of the city (spit) struggle already due to not spending enough.

I think to him it's a bit of a stature thing. He's obviously not in it to make any money, otherwise he'd have speculated more. He's just raking in his interest, waiting for the right offer to come along. All the while upsetting people with his, frankly abominable way of handling the media.

I don't understand all this Wednesdayite/shares stuff and nonsense, and I don't particularly want to. All I want is someone (Dave or A.N.Other) to invest a bit of cash so we're not stuck in the hellhole that is League One again.

Edit: You bloody got me started, you shit! :unsure:

I've been cynical of the man - possibly unjustly as maybe it was more hype generated by others calling him a 'saviour' - but I remember when he first invested some cash into the club all those years ago. It seemed he might be a 'saviour', yet allegedly when asked if he'd give Wednesday some money to spend he said "I'm not going to waste my money" or something to that extent.

I'll admit I don't know what other chairmen do, but apparently he's 'loaned' money to the club rather than invest it. I think he wants to sell it at some point but no bugger must have met his demands, or worse no one's interested. He's been lowering the debt bit by bit and probably when it's gone he'll sell

I think at the moment we should be realistic about our money. If we have naff all to spend then we can't expect much except time to build a team from what we have. I don't know whether our constantly large injury list is due to the quality of players we have, the backroom staff/facilities or bad luck. We have to take that into account though. It'll take a while in our current state though and any talk of expecting to be promotion contenders at the moment is ridiculous. Maybe we could pull off something similar to Charlton, I thought they were supposed to be sensible in the beginning and took things easy and went down and up a few times to get it right. Maybe that could be done for us?

There you go, I think I beat your rambling with something less coherent Mitchell. :unsure:

Ooh, never noticed this thread. I'm another Owl, albeit a Southern poofta Owl. It's my dear ol' dad's fault. He's from Sheffield see, and my first ever live match was the '93 FA Cup Final replay against Arsenal. So, kinda set the tone for the next 13 years of misery...

I genuinely thought this season would be less traumatic. I saw us against Burnley and we did ok, but then MacLean got injured and it's all gone tits up. I saw that Hull match on Sky and, my God, we were shit.

Apparently we had a good go against Sunderland. Tudgay should've scored (again) and Sturrock was full of praise for the team's effort. But it seems that confidence is shot all over the team. Throwing away leads, missing chances - it's all too familiar.

Worst thing is, I also follow Barnet (where I live) who have conceded in the last minute something like four times already this season. Sheff Wed, Barnet and England. Lucky, lucky me!!

Allen needs to go.

Where's this two million we were promised at the start of the season? How come we could alledgedly afford to loan in England's third choice 'keeper in the guise of Scott Carson, yet we didnt have the funds to bring in a striker on loan when we were down to the bare bones?

I just hope the fans dont get on Sturrocks back in we lose against Barnsley. Look at how many managers we've been through during this downfall. Surely it's blatantly obvious to even the most stupid fan that the trouble's at the very top?

Allen needs to go.

Where's this two million we were promised at the start of the season? How come we could alledgedly afford to loan in England's third choice 'keeper in the guise of Scott Carson, yet we didnt have the funds to bring in a striker on loan when we were down to the bare bones?

I just hope the fans dont get on Sturrocks back in we lose against Barnsley. Look at how many managers we've been through during this downfall. Surely it's blatantly obvious to even the most stupid fan that the trouble's at the very top?

That much has been obvious since Trevor Francis left. (Although David Pleat certainly didn't help matters...). But if Allen hasn't gone yet, what is going to make him go? He clearly wasn't happy being lower than the Championship but seems happy enough to aim for fourteenth and stay there (which obviously isn't helping).

The only thing Sturrock can do to improve his performance is inspire a bit more self-belief and confidence but god knows how he could go about doing that. I certainly don't want to see him go though, although I'm sure Dave Allen will fire him at the first opportunity - he does seem to get a sexual buzz out of firing managers. It's the only explanation.

Anyone want to bet how long it will take for Nigel Worthington rumours to appear?

Now usually I'd say no way would any talk be made since Sturrock got a contract renewel, but you never know...

I want Sturrock to stay, he's been hindered so much by powers beyond his control. There needs to be a drastic overhaul in the board room and maybe even backroom staff. Something needs to be done. I'm sure at some point there'll be an escape from the drop zone though.

No offence to you guys, but I was at Hillsborough last week (Derby) and you were poor. Poor enough to lose to us (who were dire for 70 minutes). Pretty sure youre the only team to have not won at home now in the league. Hope you dont go down, I always enjoy going to Hillsborough.

I've heard we (Sunderland) were pretty decent. No idea how the Owls played in comparison.

Was at the game, Sunderland were ok, and to be fair i really didnt think Sheff Wed were that bad certainly the better team in the first twenty minutes or so, lacked maybe a bit of cutting edge up front but then so did Sunderland, Dwight Yorke missed an absolute sitter that even i could have scored.

The Sheff Wed away fans were cool though, the most i have seen so far.

Getting rid of Sturrock would be a big mistake. Wednesday is basically an unmanageable club. What Sturrock's done so far is pretty impressive. Look at Paul Jewell. He's been fairly successful wherever he's been apart from the Owls.

I did notice in the paper a few weeks ago that, out of the Championship managers, Sturrock is one of the favourites for the chop. And that was before Derby and Sunderland. Not good.

I really don't think we should get rid of him either - however I know a few fans who do.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried at the moment and he has made some bizzare decisions. However I think we need to stability, too many managers have been and gone recently.

The squad is average at best even arguably our best player can be frustratingly lazy sometimes, but with no money in sight... well, I wouldn't want the job.

Edit: Also with him just signing a new contract, could we even afford to get rid of him now. Heh.

I'll admit I've not been keeping track of it but we've been having trouble shifting the £27-odd million debt from the Premiership days. Some expenses were adding to that until a few years ago. Seems Allen and co have balanced the sheets they just need to keep chipping away at the debt now.

EDIT: Admittedly it's from May 2005 but here's an annual report from then http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s375/st82342.htm

• 2 weeks later...

So then, was that the best half-time entertainment of all time?

I was hoping that the video would be up on youtube/myspace by the time I'd got home but it looks like they've been arrested!

Club Statement:

Sheffield Wednesday are aware of an incident involving the group TWIN, who provided the half-time entertainment for their match against Barnsley on Saturday.

The girls had been fully briefed by club officials not to interact with supporters during their performance. The club apologises unreservedly to any fans who were offended by the actions of the group, who have been arrested and charged with public disorder.

Since the matter is now the subject of a police investigation, the club will not be making any further comment.

Basically it was just two girls hurling abuse at the Barnsley fans while singing a song. It was really quite surreal.

They said that they'd be uploading a video of it to their myspace site, I hope the cops don't confiscate the recordings!