The Wednesday Thread

dan_tm

I reckon we'll lose Bully. He loves it here [Keegan] Loves it! [/Keegan], but I think he'll bite the bullet and go back to his wife and kids in Jockland. Which will be a darn shame, he's a beacon of professionalism to the rest of the squad.

I can also see us losing/sending back: Rocastle, Graham, Gilbert, Best, Partridge and Diallo. I think the youngsters (Corr, McAllister, Collins et al) will be given a chance. Whether Corr can cut it is doubtful. Especially now we have an abundance of strikers.

JP. Hmm. That's a toughie. I can see us offering him a half season contract, and him not accepting it. There's no way it's good business sense to offer him a year/two year contract when he's not been able to prove himself at this level at all this season. And I can see him wanting to try out elsewhere. Leeds were sniffing at one point, remember? Can't afford to be sentimental in this game.

Saturday? I don't care if we get hammered. I'm going to thouroughly enjoy myself. I don't think we will though. Well over 30k there (will we beat Norwichj in the race to be the best supported team in the championship? We only need to gate 32k Saturday to top the table!) will spur the lads on to a result. A score draw, methinks.

As Carson said, "We're home and dry. We're just going to go out and enjoy ourselves."

:)

Cant disagree with what you say about Bullen. We really need characters like him and Coughlan in the squad to show the young 'uns the right path. Cant really blame him mind you. I mea, his families still up in Scotland, and he's barely going to get a game. Be sad to see him go. As for the others you mention, I doubt we'll miss any of them. Graham's been shite, Diallo's a crock, and the stupid amount of abuse Rocastle recieved means Sturrocks nevr going to inflict us on him again! I'd say get rid of Corr. He's never really looked the part, and we really should be looking at a class above.

To be honest, I doubt Leeds will touch JP with a particularly lengthy pole at the moment. Too many injuries this season. I reckon we'll give him a year.

Hooray!

A draw against Premiership opposition in our last game of the season, after an injury after 5 minutes meaning we have to field a debutant at left back, in a wrong position, and still manage to shade the game!

Macca looked pretty good, but you can tell him and JP haven't had a lot of games this season. Diallo looked great, considering he hasn't played for something like 10 weeks and only trained for 3 days! Carson again saved our skin. I do hope we can get hgim on a season long loan next season....even though looks extremely doubtful.

Good atmosphere, just a shame Readin weren't really up for it, very quiet bunch of fans, and we didn't crack to 30k barrier to take the 'best supported team in the championship' accolade. Well, unless Norwich get a really poor gate next week.

Anyway, chuffed. Bring on Derby!

Come on!

Great match against the top team, we were quite unlucky not to have won it as well I feel, especially with that MacLean double chance towards the end.

I'm extra pleased though as I was going to put a bet on at the start for us to win 2-1 with MacLean as the first goalscorer. Fortunately I arrived a bit late so I didn't have time. At half time I decided to stick a couple of quid on him getting the first goal of the 2nd half, thankfully he did! :D

I took a few pics as well from the end of the match and the 'lap of honor' or whatever you want to call it...

17lc1.jpg

23je.jpg

39xi.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't manage to get a good picture of Sturrock in his kilt, just as he came over to us I took a picture but someone stepped infront of me :(

45cp.jpg

Can just see him here though:

59qv.jpg

Who needs Mourinho? :unsure:

Anyway, chuffed. Bring on Derby!

Im a Derby fan, you going?

You've sold 4,000 tickets apparently, must admit Wednesdays travelling support are always there in numbers.

Should be a good atmosphere being the last game as well, were playing Rangers in ted mcminns testimonial the day after (bank holiday monday) apparently a load of them are down for the weekend and are going to the wednesday game, so there might be a few jocks knocking about.

• 2 weeks later...

BREAKING NEWS

OUT

J.P McGovern (SHOCKED TO THE CORE OF MY VERY BEING)

Drissa Diallo

Patrick Collins

Richie Partridge

Craig Rocastle

IN

Lee Bullen :lol:

David Lucas

David Graham loan extended until after playoffs.

I'm....stunned. No more JP. I'd have thought at least a 6 month, 'see how you go after the of season and first few games' contract would've been offered. The fact that the official site says 'discussed at board level' leads me to believe Sturrock doesn't want a crock, and Uncle Dave tried to talk him out of it.

Big decision that. Big decision. Let's hope Sturrock has made the right one in not being sentimental. I'm just nervous that he may come back to haunt us...it's a sad day for SWFC. Good luck and bye bye, JP. I'll never forget that day.

jp_mcgovern_470x470.jpg

Sad to see him go, but it's the right move for the club. We just cant afford a player who might only manage half a dozen games next season, when we could spend those wages on someone who'll really benefit the team. I know, JP could have been completely injury free, and some new guy break down first game, but it's a much smaller risk.

Glad to see Bullen sticking around. Great back-up player to have, and a great bloke to have in the dressing room. Nice guy to chat to too, so I hear.

Means we need to sign two wingers during the summer. Apparently Sturrock watched one last weekend who he was impressed with.

Sad to see him go, but it's the right move for the club. We just cant afford a player who might only manage half a dozen games next season, when we could spend those wages on someone who'll really benefit the team. I know, JP could have been completely injury free, and some new guy break down first game, but it's a much smaller risk.

Glad to see Bullen sticking around. Great back-up player to have, and a great bloke to have in the dressing room. Nice guy to chat to too, so I hear.

Means we need to sign two wingers during the summer. Apparently Sturrock watched one last weekend who he was impressed with.

If you remember, JP rejected a contract when he was offered one alongside Brunt and...Whelan was it? Unsure, but still...it seemed then that he was angling for a bit more cash....Leeds were apparantly sniffing about...not exactly being particularly 'loyal', as it were.........it seemed back then that he was after more cash. Then he got injured, and didn't play until the last couple of games....I think he may well regret that decision now. People have seemed to forget that little incident...

From what I heard (a girl I work with is best friends with JP's girlfriend.......no, really!) he was offered a bog standard contract at the start of the season just gone, which he rejected. Brunt and I think Whelan accepted. JP was after more cash, and let's face it, he was our 'star player' so probably thought he'd get a bit more than the norm. Now, to be fair to him, he was pretty good in the run up to the playoffs, but over the season, he was no better than anyone else. He turned it on in the playoffs, had a few good games, scored in the semi, scored in the final, lalala. I loved him , I really did, but let's face it....he wasn't amazing, was he? His crossing was shite. He could get past people, fine. But his final ball was terrible. Don't get me wrong, I'd have loved to have seen him be hammered by our coaches, to see what we could eek out of him over a season in the Championship...but, as Sturrock said, there's no room for sentimentality in this game. Especially not with our shitty budget.

I am a bit gutted, but a player that's non-proven in the Championship, with a dodgy back, no pace, and a shit final ball?

Ta-ra, JP. You gave me memories that I'll never, ever forget. I really hope he does well and finds somewhere that he can be appreciated and turn on his little bit 'o' skill. But we must move on. *bows*

And now where? Bullen is a top, top addition to the squad. I can completely see why Sturrock has decided to give him another year. He is Mr Wednesday. :angry: The fact that he played in all 11 positions (an excelled in most) doesn't come into it in my eyes. What does, is.....well, just look at his face when that whistle blows and we've scraped a draw/win. He loves it. More than anyone. He really, really wants us to succeed. And that's a big, big benefit to all of our younger players. I mean, look at some of our line up's recently: Wood, Simek, Whelan, Folly, Brunt, Corr, Adamson, Collins...Tudgay to an extent. All youngsters. And for them to see how much Bullen has it, goes for it and loves it when we scrape something....how many points is that worth a season?

He had a cracking end to the campaign at centre half. He's been a bit dodgy there before...a bit erratic in the season we were promoted...but he seems to have got his 'David James' erraticism out of his head now! Our 9 run of form co-incided with him settling at centre half for 5 games....chuffed for him, I really am.

Now. We need a winger. It seems as if Brunt will be forever played down the right (no matter what you or me think of that) so we need a left winger. But...then we all hear rumours that Eagles may come back...but that's bollocks, surely?

A: Why would Sir Alec loan him for another year?

B: What if Watford get promoted? Will he stay with them? Does Sir Alec think that he's not good enough and that he should stay in the Championship another year?

C: If we've let JP go, surely we must have someone lined up?

We can only wait and see.

Whatever happens, I'll continue to go and watch us bunch of reprebates. Who, I may add, deserve a big fat round of applause for becoming 2nd the best supported club in the Championship behind Norwich. I'll shut up now *.....gasp.....* I have rambled far too much about our mighty Blue And White Wizards.

And as long as we've got this left foot playing for us, anything is possible. The last goal you will see on this clip, is the goal of the season, out of all the fucking leagues by a country fucking mile. I dare you to disagree!

• 2 weeks later...

So then, our first signing...

0,,10304~2911716,00.jpg

Wade Small

I've never heard of him either, although Sturrock has lots of positive things to say about him and we all know that Sturrock is a genius.

Sturrock admitted that Wednesday fans may know little about Small, and could have been expecting a higher-profile first signing of the summer but he urged Owls supporters to trust his judgment:

"It would have been nice if this was my fifth signing of the summer but there were other clubs chasing him and I had to move in pretty quickly. People may ask "Who?" but they've said that about ten of my signings over the last two years and a lot of them have done well. I'm very confident Wade will be a benefit to us in the long term."

He also said this about Small:

"The potential is there for him to be an exciting player for us and a saleable asset as well. I feel he's got the potential to be great for us and either come with us to the 'Promised Land' or be sold there as the seasons unfold."

Sounds promising!

And our second signing is Madjid Bougherra. Or Magic Bugger as I like to call him, after seeing this video...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pA_Qw9u5qdY&sea...eld%20wednesday

He's not afraid of getting forward is he?! Looks like he can play anywhere accross the back four, accorind to that footage. Sturrock mantions he can play centre mid too. Reagrdless, to beat Leeds and Sheff *** to his signature is a definite coup. :blink:

And our second signing is Madjid Bougherra. Or Magic Bugger as I like to call him, after seeing this video...

He's not afraid of getting forward is he?! Looks like he can play anywhere accross the back four, accorind to that footage. Sturrock mantions he can play centre mid too. Reagrdless, to beat Leeds and Sheff *** to his signature is a definite coup. :blink:

I was just coming here to post that link. As a Crewe fan, I can tell you that Bougherra is an absolutely outstanding signing for your boys – and a snip at the supposed £300,000. There's no coincidence that we went on our little run at the end of the season when he came into the team. Gutted we couldn't keep hold of him, but it was never likely once we went down. If only we'd had him from the start of the season. Good luck next season lads.

He's not afraid of getting forward is he?! Looks like he can play anywhere accross the back four, accorind to that footage. Sturrock mantions he can play centre mid too. Reagrdless, to beat Leeds and Sheff *** to his signature is a definite coup. :D

:unsure:

Sweet Jesus, looks like one of those Brazilian superstar compilations.

More importantly, new Owlettes have been added!

owleett.jpg

http://www.owlettes.com

:D

Sweet Jesus, looks like one of those Brazilian superstar compilations.

• 3 weeks later...

"The Club are pleased to introduce the new mascot 'Barney Owl'. After we were inundated with entrants to design and name the new mascot we finally chose the winner who was Thomas Fisher aged 9 from Worksop.

Thomas is a massive Sheffield Wednesday fan who attends most matches; he was extremely excited when we contacted him to congratulate him on his winning entry. Thomas is looking forward to seeing his design run out at the pre-season home match against Middlesbrough on Saturday 29th July."

0,,10304~2926729,00.jpg

He's got fucking sausages for arms! And his legs wouldn't support Kate Moss. He's going to end up looking like this:

newmascot7cg.jpg

• 1 month later...

BREAKING NEWS.

Wednesday finally sign a keeper! Brad Jones has joined from Middlesborough on a 3 month loan deal. A keeper that played in the UEFA Cup Final. A long way from the pleasure all Wednesday fans would've felt if we'd managed to secure Scott Carson on a season long deal, but that was not meant to be....£££££.

http://www.mfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/N...0.html?ptvParm=

Anyone up for meeting on Tuesday for a couple before the first home game? Yawdib?

• 2 weeks later...

Uh-oh, there could be trouble ahead.

First, the *cough* great chairman Dave Allen says Sturrock's contract will only be discussed at Christmas time. Then after the game today, Sturrock basically says in the post match interview he's unhappy that "a private matter" has gone public and that this kind of thing destabilises the club.

Will he stay or will he go?

Plus we have McLean possibly injured again :(

• 4 weeks later...