The Wednesday Thread

dan_tm

Take over imminent

They've already declared interest and offered to invest £50m to wipe out the debt, buy up all the shares and build a new squad. Dave Allen's already agreed to sell his shares if Wednesdayite also agree to do so but I wouldn't be surprised if those chancers screw up the deal somehow. I'll go mental if they ruin this, I despise that Wednesdayite guy.

I'm not getting my hopes up yet though.

Take over imminent

They've already declared interest and offered to invest £50m to wipe out the debt, buy up all the shares and build a new squad. Dave Allen's already agreed to sell his shares if Wednesdayite also agree to do so but I wouldn't be surprised if those chancers screw up the deal somehow. I'll go mental if they ruin this, I despise that Wednesdayite guy.

I'm not getting my hopes up yet though.

Which Wednesdayite guy is that? All Wednesdayite members have an equal say as to whether the shares get sold or not. My vote is worth just as much (or little) as that of the W'ite chairman, or any of the W'ite board.

You do realise that W'te and the members cannot benefit financially from any sale? The constitution forbids it - any money raised from the sale of the shares (should it go ahead) will HAVE to be ploughed back into the club/ local community. It's just that this point doesn't get raised as often in the local Sheffield media as it should - i think a lot of non-W'ite fans seem to think that we as members stand to gain from any sale, which is absolutely not the case.

Yes, after doing some research into the dealings of Wednesdayite I'll take back those comments I made earlier. Unfortunately it seems that lies/inaccuracies fed to us from BBC Radio Sheffield over the last few months have clouded my vision regarding Wednesdayite and what they aim to do for the club and local community. I'll still more than gladly accept their demise if this investment is forthcoming though, there's nothing stopping them from continuing their work for the community without the 10% stake in the club. All the directors are avid Wednesday fans so I have faith they'll do what is best for the club rather than their own egos, which is what I previously feared.

In other news, I just spotted this. According to that (it's the Daily Mail so take it with a truck-load of salt) the investors are looking to put in £50 million a year for the next 5 years, minimum, as part of the takeover deal.

*tries really hard not to get sucked into the speculation*

It's amazing how the media can show things in such a skewed light, as proven by the Wednesdayite example.

I talk to people back in Sheffield, and almost NONE of them have ANY idea of the cloud thats been surrounding the club. No idea about the legal action taken against fans. No clue as to Dave Allen's comments about us fans. Or the outright *alledged* manipulation of the Sheffield based media, which have given certain employee's of the club to spout whatever bollocks they like, yet neglect to allow talk from the other side. No-one seems to have heard of the letter posted on The Star website from one of the fans currently suffering from cancer who is still being persued by the current regime. Or the fact that it was oddly removed hours later for no reason.

Anyway, let's hope this all goes through. Then we can never be forced to mention Dave Allen or Kaven Walker EVER again with regards to Sheffield Wesnesday Football Club, and get back to supporting a club that we deserve. Not the joke that the folk currently running things have turned us into.

By the way, you can hear of the offer for the Wednesdayite shares as soon as it happens at the website

I remember when all the black balloons were being given out and I refused to take one and the man giving them out called me a cunt. I can't remember if Wednesdayite or The Owls Trust as it was known then were responsible for the black balloon protests but they were a disgrace. I refuse to get excited about the takeover talk, especially when I read about a possible change in the management.

No matter how badthings get at Hillsborough though I only have to look at Leeds and thank the Lord that Tory tax dodger Ken Bates never got his grubby little hands on our club.

Yes, after doing some research into the dealings of Wednesdayite I'll take back those comments I made earlier. Unfortunately it seems that lies/inaccuracies fed to us from BBC Radio Sheffield over the last few months have clouded my vision regarding Wednesdayite and what they aim to do for the club and local community. I'll still more than gladly accept their demise if this investment is forthcoming though, there's nothing stopping them from continuing their work for the community without the 10% stake in the club. All the directors are avid Wednesday fans so I have faith they'll do what is best for the club rather than their own egos, which is what I previously feared.

In other news, I just spotted this. According to that (it's the Daily Mail so take it with a truck-load of salt) the investors are looking to put in £50 million a year for the next 5 years, minimum, as part of the takeover deal.

*tries really hard not to get sucked into the speculation*

As long as you've seen the light, that's all that matters! ;-)

I agree with you that the Wednesdayite can survive without the 10% - after all, if rumours are to believed if we sell (and I'll be voting to do so if and when the time comes), there will be £1m to spend on SWFC/ the local community.

I too am trying really, really hard not to get carried away with all the speculation (Christ knows we've had enough false dawns before now), but reading around it seems like it really could be the real deal this time.

But I'll be gobsmacked if it's £250m.

as a Barnsley fan! Looking forward to beating you guys on Saturday.

You never beat us!

Oh, so much to talk about.

Wednesdayite: I think what backdrifter and Mirodo have said sums it up and there's no need for me to stick my two penneth in. They have the club and it's fans at heart, they really do. As for yoraths mullet being called a 'cunt', I can only assume that it was a mindless volunteer that they got to help handing balloons out that day, (as I know they do with bucket collections sometimes). Or let's hope so anyway...who knows, maybe he is a cunt? :huh:

But yeah, I'm much like the rest of you: Cynical, downtrodden but still a tiny, tiny bit optimistic. I am trying so hard to not get exited about any of this news of Champions League in 5 years (we've all heard that before, haven't we Mr Turner?), 250 million pounds over 5 years, Bahamas/Italian investors and being debt free.

But.....I must admit that a little bit more wee comes out each day more news is leaked. I just want it to all be confirmed, officially on the website, by Wednesdayite, by Allen letting his 10% go, By Kaven knobbing off somewhere else, by a new Director, by a big press conference and fanfare, and finally, by staying up this year.

*fingers crossed*

*wee*

Well, I'm cynical/cautiously optimistic at the moment too.

There's nothing wrong with the whole Champions League in five years talk, at least that's some ambition and money to back it up, especially if it's £250m. Thing is, what if it doesn't go to plan - which you'd think they go some way to with Premiership status at least - will they cut and run and leave things in a mess or will they stay the long haul if we were only mid-table at the time?* We know it's not about the money spent as much as how sensibly it's spent and whether we get the right man as manager and build a team over time. I'm thinking about other clubs with too high expectations in too short a time period.

So many questions I hope will be answered soon. So far so promising anyway.

*head explodes*

*This is being speculative and not an expectation that we'll trounce everyone and make it to the Premiership. More like slightly pessimistic/realistic best case scenario. As a Wednesday fan I've learned my lesson about that kind of thinking.

Wednesdayite: I think what backdrifter and Mirodo have said sums it up and there's no need for me to stick my two penneth in. They have the club and it's fans at heart, they really do. As for yoraths mullet being called a 'cunt', I can only assume that it was a mindless volunteer that they got to help handing balloons out that day, (as I know they do with bucket collections sometimes). Or let's hope so anyway...who knows, maybe he is a cunt? :huh:

*fingers crossed*

*wee*

Oh, I am a cunt, just don't need a muppet witn a black balloon calling me one when I am at the match supporting the team I love.

It does look more and more concrete, but look at the Birmingham takeover to see how things can stall and mess up. I hope tyhis comes off and they give Laws the cash to spend for next season. Give him a team where he isn't forced to sell his best players and let him have a chance. i would hate it if we ended up with a big name ex player who has never managed a side before and floods our team with imports.

Thing is, what if it doesn't go to plan - which you'd think they go some way to with Premiership status at least - will they cut and run and leave things in a mess or will they stay the long haul if we were only mid-table at the time?*

Surely there will be some sort of safeguards in place so as not to jeopordise the long term safety of the club? I dunno.....certainly a lot of questions need to be answered. Question: has it ever happened before, with someone aking over a club, spending money and then knobbing off when it doesn't go to plan, leaving them in the crapper?

I hope tyhis comes off and they give Laws the cash to spend for next season. Give him a team where he isn't forced to sell his best players and let him have a chance. i would hate it if we ended up with a big name ex player who has never managed a side before and floods our team with imports.

Yeha, I agree, I'm one for giving Laws some time in the job, it's only bloody fair. And to be honest, I can't even think of one so-called high profile manager that's available at the moment that I would want at the helm apart from Laws.

McLaren (LOL), Hoddle (A Mental), Allardyce (What did he spend at Newcastle?), Gregory (Meh), Pearce (experienced enough?), Shearer (ditto), Billy Davies (rubbish when Derby got to the Prem).

Apparantly, Sheard is currently in France talking to the banks according to Radio Sheffield. Tapping up Houllier maybe?!

Surely there will be some sort of safeguards in place so as not to jeopordise the long term safety of the club? I dunno.....certainly a lot of questions need to be answered. Question: has it ever happened before, with someone aking over a club, spending money and then knobbing off when it doesn't go to plan, leaving them in the crapper?

I think it has, I get the feeling it may have somehow, but can't think of an example though. I don't think it's happened for a while though. Maybe it happens more in the lower leagues more than the Premiership. I dunno I may be talking shit here.

Yeha, I agree, I'm one for giving Laws some time in the job, it's only bloody fair. And to be honest, I can't even think of one so-called high profile manager that's available at the moment that I would want at the helm apart from Laws.

McLaren (LOL), Hoddle (A Mental), Allardyce (What did he spend at Newcastle?), Gregory (Meh), Pearce (experienced enough?), Shearer (ditto), Billy Davies (rubbish when Derby got to the Prem).

Apparantly, Sheard is currently in France talking to the banks according to Radio Sheffield. Tapping up Houllier maybe?!

It all depends on what the investors are like with their plans. If they are serious about the five year plan then I don't think they'll give him a chance as they'd want a big proven name to get us out of the Championship next season.

I'm just so chuffing thankfull we're finally shot of the shower of shite that's been running the club over the last 8 years.

Any other clubs fans would have been protesting before/during/after every game because of some of shit we've had to put up with, but Wednesday fans can be so bloody apathetic. Other than the protest post Sturrocks sacking, there's been close to nothing. I'm proud of the folks that have refused to return to Hillsbrough, or give the club ANY money while the legal action against the fans has been going on. We DO have some of the BEST fans in the world, there's little doubt about that. We just seem to hate having a whinge. And anyone who does gets immediately shot down.

Once the takeover is sorted, I can get back to coming home to watch a few games, and spending rediculous amounts of money in the club shop.

Well the potential takeover has been officially confirmed by the club today with the board declaring to the London stock exchange that it could be on the cards.

Source

In other news, Vladimir Yevtushenkov (the 71st richest man in the world, worth $9.1bn) is rumoured to be the main backer in the consortium planning to take over with Geoff Sheard leading the negotiations.

Source

I want to get excited but I can't - yet.

Well the rumour mill doesn't appear to be showing any signs of slowing down, the latest one is that The Sun (yeah, I know) thinks that the consortium set to take over at Hillsborough want to put Shearer in charge.

My first reaction was: "Fuck that, even if this isn't a bullshit rumour I wouldn't want him", but giving it a second thought he'd be exactly the sort of person we'd need to pull in some big-name signings with the money we'll have.

But it will be a bullshit rumour, so it doesn't really matter.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport...ticle864750.ece

It would need to be someone that could get players, but I'm really not convinced that Shearer is destined to be a great manager. He never played particularly interesting football - he just did what he did incredibly well. He'd be great inspiration, but I certainly wouldn't expect him to try and implement Arsenal-style football, which is the ideal really.

But I want something to happen from all this - everything about Wednesday needs a kick up its arse.

You never beat us!

Well, looks like you were right. At least we didn't lose.

It was a fairly rubbish game in all fairness, most of our players seemed to have an eye on the Chelsea game. With respect, it must be a fairly decent result for you guys, bearing in mind our home record this season.

• 2 weeks later...

Lol?

It's one of the most blatant red cards I've ever seen... He wasn't going for the ball at all, the ball was just there as an excuse to run into him at full pelt and purposely shove him over. If there was any contact with his elbow (which I think there was anyway) it doesn't really matter, it should have been a red regardless.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually don't mind Warnock doing well now he isn't at Utd, although that was more when they still had Robinson so I could laugh at how bad they were doing without Warnock. As long as Plymouth are in there I wouldn't mind him getting Palace into the play-offs.

But anyway, that was the first game I've been to since coming back from Germany, my last (and only) game this season was against Wolves in the first couple of weeks. We outplayed palace from about 20 minutes in (until which time it was fairly even, with us both hitting the bar) until the final whistle, I only remember them having 3 chances in the second half - including the goal.

I had to lol at the Wednesday fans coming out of the ground moaning though, we don't half harbour some morons among our supporters. People talking about how bad our defense is, we hardly let Palace get anywhere near our goal bar the last 5 minutes when they had everyone plus their mums piled in our box for a succession of corners. With Spurr, Beavers, Wood and Simek (and Hinds) I wouldn't be surprised if we have the most valuable defence in the league (on potential future fees, obviously).

The last time we lost by more than a single goal was on the 6th of October, bar the goalkeeper our defense is the last thing I'd change in our team. If we don't need to sell I think we're sorted for the next 5 or 6 seasons in the Championship in that department - the average age of our back-four is 20.

• 3 weeks later...
Half time:

Sheffield United 0 - 1 Sheffield Wednesday.

^_^

Totally undeserved! United have been hammering us, and we get lucky with a far post header. Can we do the double over the Blades since 1914?

BELIEVE.

I really really hope we can hang on.

However...

I have 10 quid on Wednesday winning at half-time / United winning at full time with Skybet.

At 28/1.

:)