The Wednesday Thread

dan_tm

• 1 month later...

Well then...

On the balance of play we probably deserved to lose by a bit more than we did but their finishing was terrible. The ref was awful as well, the penalty we did get I didn't think was one but in the following 10 minutes there were two more blatant fouls in the area, one of which was a knee in the back of Brunt who was about to head into an empty net to make it level in the last minute.

Never mind, final score:

Wednesday Reserves 1-2 Wednesday Rejects

Bitter, moi?

The thread is needed.

Not today though. Really, really not today.

I'm starting to get a bit worried that we're heading back down. It's been such a bad season for injuries though, I'm certain if we were at full strength we'd be mid-table easily. Just hoping we can hold out until the end of the season then have a good one next year.

Ah well.

I only started it because I thought we would win and I'd have somewhere to tell everyone about it.

:unsure:

And you know what? That makes it your fault. I was hunting for a scapegoat and now I've found one.

Damn you.

:P

Go, go Wednesday!

First derby match I've missed since the '93 semi today. From what I've been told, we we're a bit of a shambles, with an overall lack of passon. In desperate need of an experienced keeper to replce Adamson, and need to give Partridge a chance from the start.

Though, we dont have a chance to achieve ANYTHING while Allen chairman. We need him out as soon as humanly possible.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd resurrect this after only just remembering Saturday.

Looking pretty safe now (have just touched wood...real wood. Not my penis, you horrid little boys). Shaded the match, had a penalty shout, which would have been given if it'd happened in the first 20 minutes and not the last 5. JP's back! We're scoring goals at last, and Milwall's wheels seem to have come off (thank God), but I don't suppose it helps now that we've got to still play Brighton...

Knowing us bunch of Blue And White Fuck Ups, we'll lose to Crewe and Seagulls, yet beat Reading and Norwich! Hey ho. At least being 6 points clear with 5 games to go looks slightly rosy. Stranger things have happened though, eh?

Up The Owls.

Bare with me, there is a Shefield Wednesday reference...

I'm working in a nursing home, looking after the old fellas and ladies. One of the old lads used to be a footballer (centre-half) and he played for Sheffield Wednesday. He's a really confused old person now, but he did his bit for you lot back in the day (1 season - I think it was 46-47).

I like him, and give him all the respect I can.

Well the bottom six are playing each other this weekend which means it could be a very different picture down at the bottom after Saturday. With some of our players talking about a play-off push next season it would be a bit embarrassing to get relegated...

Oh and Mitchell, you didn't add the video to this thread!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FNVahIHESoM

Chris Brunt/The Day Today FTW!

Awful, dreadful performance against Crewe. Definitely a day to forget. Luckily for us, the mightly Seagulls and Milwall both lost too...

Next up, a Norwich side that have nothing to play for. Meaning a steamrollering then. :lol:

Only good news is that Woody may be back on the bench.

Ha! Fear not, young padwan.

Tudgay was full of bens today, took his goal well with quick reflexes to nod home after his initial shot was saved. Simek did really, really well against Huckerby, not the easiest of players to mark for 90 minutes. Coughlan and Bulled were ace at the back, but MOM was Hills for me.

He is so good at getting himself space, turning players insiude out, ut as few good crosses in and was great at tracking back. So glad he seems to have got fit and back to his old self right when we need him most.

7 points clear and can send Brighton down next week...revenge for when they did the same to us!

EDIT:

Oh, and congratulations to Sheff....Sheffie......I just can't say it. :P

I was sat literally 6 or 7 seats away from Delia, I wish I had a camera to take a picture of her face when they missed the 2 vs. Carson chance, it was quality.

Great result but I was a bit disappointed with a couple of players, Folly and Burton. Folly just couldn't seem to control the ball or pass at all today, which is a shame as he has been excellent recently. Burton didn't seem to try to do anything today, he still managed to hit the post twice though... If the ball was around him and he came into contact with an opposing player his arms would just shoot up pleading for a free kick, he didn't seem to want to battle for it.

It's a pity about Sunderland though. I wasn't expecting their Premiership record to be beaten so quickly, but with Utd going up...

And at least Warnock should be a laugh on MotD each week.

Seems that we're safe then. All we need to do is draw with Brighton and we're safe. A delightfully commited performance today, and a big crowd to boot. Nice to see Wednesday getting things right commercially for a change.

I must admit, I'm happy to see United promoted. Sheffield needs a club in the Premiership, and there was no way in hell it was going to be us for at least another 5 years of re-building. My only problem is, Warnock's un-doubted weekly whinges about how top flight refs are making every decision go against them. If him and David O'Leary took up less prominant roles and got off my TV, I'd be a much happier man.

Woo!

I was away over the weekend and I'm DISAPPOINTED to see no posts in this thread. We've relegated 3 teams in one smooth move and more importantly we'll be in the championship next season.

Radio Sheffield seems to show opinions are split - some people think staying up is a bigger achievment than getting promoted, others that we should have been safe all season. I'm with the former - I think staying up is a brilliant achievement that really shows progress. I don't know odds, but we must have one of the teams most expected to go down at the start of the season.

As for United I can't see them staying up. I'm sure they'll do better than Sunderland but I can't see them spending much time out of the bottom 3. If they do get relegated I think we can expect them to sell all their players and need another 12 years to get back up.

Ah well.

Great result for the Owls on Monday, it's not very often you get to relegate 3 teams with one match :)

Although even weirder than that; we're only 4 wins from the top 8 :lol:

We've got to be honest though, we were shit last season and managed to get promoted, staying up is a great achievement. With the news of an increased wage bill for next season we can hopefully start pushing up the league.

Benitez, can we keep Carson for next season please? Thanks.

It's an absolutely incredible achievment us staying up. Considering we've got pretty much sod all money, and the vast number of injuries we've suffered with, it's way beyond last seasons promotion. I just hope we get rid of some of the 'crocks' over the summer (Diallo in particular) and Sturrock gets the cash to being in a few quality players.

As for United, if the name's being mentioned are true, they're going down the same route as Sunderland. Buying a massive number of 'good' Championship players (Koumas, Lescott) and hoping that's good enough to keep them up. I've even heard Emile Heskey mentioned if Birmingham happen to go down! They could possibly do a West Brom and just scrape staying up, but still lack the real pulling power to drag them further up the league.

Since we're all Wednesday fans here, which players (apart from Lee Bullen) would you like to see interviewed?

Since we're all Wednesday fans here, which players (apart from Lee Bullen) would you like to see interviewed?

I reckon we'll lose Bully. He loves it here [Keegan] Loves it! [/Keegan], but I think he'll bite the bullet and go back to his wife and kids in Jockland. Which will be a darn shame, he's a beacon of professionalism to the rest of the squad.

I can also see us losing/sending back: Rocastle, Graham, Gilbert, Best, Partridge and Diallo. I think the youngsters (Corr, McAllister, Collins et al) will be given a chance. Whether Corr can cut it is doubtful. Especially now we have an abundance of strikers.

JP. Hmm. That's a toughie. I can see us offering him a half season contract, and him not accepting it. There's no way it's good business sense to offer him a year/two year contract when he's not been able to prove himself at this level at all this season. And I can see him wanting to try out elsewhere. Leeds were sniffing at one point, remember? Can't afford to be sentimental in this game.

Saturday? I don't care if we get hammered. I'm going to thouroughly enjoy myself. I don't think we will though. Well over 30k there (will we beat Norwichj in the race to be the best supported team in the championship? We only need to gate 32k Saturday to top the table!) will spur the lads on to a result. A score draw, methinks.

As Carson said, "We're home and dry. We're just going to go out and enjoy ourselves."

:)

Personally I hope we keep JP, he hasn't really had chance to prove himself at this level with his injuries. You could say the same about MacLean but there's no way we can let him go. JP and Steve (as well as Bullen) were our best players in League 1 but I don't think we'll be able to keep Bully this season, it was only the high of winning the play-offs that kept him here for another season. He has been excellent every match he's managed to play this year though.

Oh, and can our first signing be: kenwynejones373.jpg

Please.