Grandia 3

Polmon

I just spied the review for this over on RPGamer, and this is sounding like a must-buy (even in the looming shadow of Kingdom Hearts 2 and the glut of other PS2 RPGs coming out). It sounds like everything is right again after the hiccup that was Grandia Xtreme.

The battle system, as always sounds top notch, having not been fiddled with beyond making it more diverse (you can still cancel and delay enemies moves, and can now get the initiative by hitting the enemy on the field), with the introduction of combo's and other stuffs.

No random encounters for those who hate them.

Anyone got this yet then? Anyone have it on the way? There hasn't been even the slightest mention of it on here yet.

Screenshots at IGN show that it's a damned pretty game too, for the visual sluts out there. If I weren't so skint I'd be buying this now (DSlite purchase has serisouly wounded my credit card), so I'll have to make do with other people's impressions until then.

So, who's got it then? Hm?

Oh, I don't have a chipped/US PS2, is this due a PAL release?

I'll be honest - I don't like Grandia. I've played the original and the sequel and the battles are fun, but the stories are possibly the most boring and derivative I've ever encountered (random or not) in an RPG.

But I'm a mug and will probably buy it anyway, the games do have a certain something...

I've got it coming from tronix. Dunno how long they usually take.

From what I've read the story is fairly average (but then they seemingly don't make good JRPG stories any more, even though they can literally do anything they want) but as long as the battle system remains as fun as previous iterations it should be okay in the end.

All I ever buy these days are Japanese RPGs, even though I end up never playing them for usually incredibly trivial reasons. Wild ARMs 4, I'm looking at you.

Managed to "grab" this. And so far it's lush. I thought Dragon Quest VIII looked amazing and this is just as spectacular to look at in it's own way. In fact I would say detail-wise it surpasses DQ VIII.

Some cutscenes have dragged on a little but so far so good. Comes on 2 DVD's as well. Considering it is supposed to be around 25 hours to complete, that gives you some idea of how many cutscenes they must have squeezed in. So be warned, those of an impatient nature.

Does it come in a cardboard slipcase like Dragon Quest VIII and Star Ocean III?

My copy has been shipped so with a bit of luck I'll have it by the start of next week. I'm really looking forward to it.

Re: An European release. I read somewhere that SquareEnix had no plans to release it in Europe. However, there's nothing to stop another publisher from picking it up.

Does it come in a cardboard slipcase like Dragon Quest VIII and Star Ocean III?

My copy has been shipped so with a bit of luck I'll have it by the start of next week. I'm really looking forward to it.

Re: An European release. I read somewhere that SquareEnix had no plans to release it in Europe. However, there's nothing to stop another publisher from picking it up.

I just spied the review for this over on RPGamer, and this is sounding like a must-buy (even in the looming shadow of Kingdom Hearts 2 and the glut of other PS2 RPGs coming out). It sounds like everything is right again after the hiccup that was Grandia Xtreme.

The battle system, as always sounds top notch, having not been fiddled with beyond making it more diverse (you can still cancel and delay enemies moves, and can now get the initiative by hitting the enemy on the field), with the introduction of combo's and other stuffs.

No random encounters for those who hate them.

Anyone got this yet then? Anyone have it on the way? There hasn't been even the slightest mention of it on here yet.

Screenshots at IGN show that it's a damned pretty game too, for the visual sluts out there. If I weren't so skint I'd be buying this now (DSlite purchase has serisouly wounded my credit card), so I'll have to make do with other people's impressions until then.

So, who's got it then? Hm?

To be fair, Grandia II was average. Perhaps playing it directly after the majesty of Skies of Arcadia didn't do it any favours, but I found it to be a shortish RPG (35 hrs) with relatively charmless characters, uninspired puzzles and predictable plotting.

The battle system was nice, if a little too tricky at times, but it wasn't really a classic of the genre.

Any new Grandia game is going to take a lot to be a must-play, if that's the standard for the series.

IMO, of course. ;)

To be fair, Grandia II was average. Perhaps playing it directly after the majesty of Skies of Arcadia didn't do it any favours, but I found it to be a shortish RPG (35 hrs) with relatively charmless characters, uninspired puzzles and predictable plotting.

The battle system was nice, if a little too tricky at times, but it wasn't really a classic of the genre.

Any new Grandia game is going to take a lot to be a must-play, if that's the standard for the series.

IMO, of course.  ;)

I agree with you on the "shallownes" of Grandia 2. The characters was a bit charmless but I kinda got attached to them nonetheless. When Grandia 2 was good it was very good and it's for those moments alone I'm looking forward to the third installment.

Grandia 1 was pretty good, once it got going (3 hours of nothing whatsoever happening! w00t!!1).

Grandia had the distinction of being the game whose score most changed in the process of reviewing it. Within those first couple of hours I was thinking of giving it 2/10, phoned the editor saying to reduce the page count to just a one page thing.

Ended up on an 8.

KG

Grandia had the distinction of being the game whose score most changed in the process of reviewing it. Within those first couple of hours I was thinking of giving it 2/10, phoned the editor saying to reduce the page count to just a one page thing.

Ended up on an 8.

KG

8? Bit generous.

What did Skies' get?

Fuck knows. I'm talking about Grandia 1, by the way, and on the Playstation 1. (Edit: And for OPM1 magazine)

(So Skies was a different format and considerably later)

EDIT: It's a long time ago now - what? 6 years? 7 years? - but I think part of it was my reaction against the omnipresence of the Final Fantasy games, which I despised.

KG

i love grandia 1 & 2. not played xtreme, haven't ordered 3 either, as i don't have a chipped ps2 :)

one day...

imo grandia 2 was better than skies of arcadia. although skies is fantastic too, i'm not one of those ABSOLUTE RETARDS that doesn't like it ;)

I wholehearted ;) 'ed Grandia 1. Justin, Feena and Sue were wonderful characters, and the adventurer storyline had me desperate to see what happened next.

And who can forget the music. Sandy Beach of Gambo (For the love of you) has me crying emotional tears of happiness everytime I hear it!

Unfortunately Grandia 2 made the mistake of having a Final Fantasy style moody lead character thus for me, was nowhere near as inthralling as 1.

I've made a few mentions of Grandia 3 on here, and I'm up for getting it if it's as good as 1. I'll have to get a import PS2 though, infact any PS2 cause I sold mine to me old flatmates so they could carry on there Pro Evo 5 addiction. Still got me games though. :)

I agree with you on the "shallownes" of Grandia 2. The characters was a bit charmless but I kinda got attached to them nonetheless. When Grandia 2 was good it was very good and it's for those moments alone I'm looking forward to the third installment.

I'll kinda agree with the "when it was good it was great" thing. Although I thought the main three characters in Grandia 2 were excellent, and a perfect counterbalance to each other - as a threesome they worked amazingly (oo-er).

I'm one of the few people who thought Grandia 2 was by far a better game than the first one (especially in terms of story), but oh well.

Oh, and the theme tune to Grandia III is AMAZING, although strangely a lot of people don't like it. I guess I'm just different :P

So I played about 6 or 7 hours of this over the weekend. Here are my exciting initial thoughts, hold onto your hats!!!!1

Characters are your usual fairly cliched bunch, once they've got two sentences out of their mouths you'll pretty much have them pegged. No-one is overly wet or obnoxious. The voice acting isn't bad either, and isn't unnaturally broken up by overzealous lipsynching.

It's generally very pretty, and uses just about every little graphical trick the PS2 is capable of. The world is nice enough, albeit a little empty feeling. Nothing particularly unexpected in the story or town/dungeon/town structure so far.

The battle system is still great, and air combos add another little thing to capitalise on if you get the chance. Nothing has really been particularly difficult although I've only fought two or three bosses.

Character development is nice enough, although I haven't really come across enough options to really see how it works. Basically everything is as you would expect except you can add slots for stat enhancing skills by using certain attacks in battle (so somebody that uses a lot of magic will have more magic-related skills etc. etc.).

Well, yeah, nothing particularly thrillingly new or unexpected, but it's certainly pleasant enough.

I would have to agree with pretty much everything you have said there. I must admit that as nice a ride as it has been so far, I don't feel the compulsion to sit and play for hours as I did with Dragon Quest VIII.

I wish that Legendia and Grandia had come before DQVIII so that I hadn't been spoilt.

• 10 years later...