rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
bolak

Game Sprites

These are nearly a year old now, but as I just got around to uploading them to Flickr, I thought i'd post them on here to see if anyone's interested.

---

Pixelblocks are little translucent bricks available in 20 colours, and can be connected in three ways:

- Peg-and-hole (like Lego)

- Side-lock (side by side)

- Half-lock (diagonally connected)

As such they can be used to easily create images as well as 3D objects. especially if those images are already nicely pixellated. I created a few interesting images while experimenting with them, and then set about making lots of sprites from games. Some samples below, and links to all of them at the end of the post:

tower10kx.jpg

tikismall8or.jpgalexkiddsmall1ig.jpgshyguysmall6wh.jpg

- My Flickr page.

- My original thread on another forum I go to (it has more images that aren't on Flickr yet - 56k beware).

- Official site.

---

So, any comments/criticism/abuse? Anybody else like these lovely little things?

He's meant to be tilting his head\body.

So the eyes are right? I can't seem to find the sprite I originally used.

---

The only places I have been able to find that ship to the UK are Thinkgeek and Puzzlezoo.

It's certainly not cheap, which is why I haven't bought any more. If anyone finds a cheaper way to buy them over here, please let us know!

My pack finally arrived off eBay today. I'd seen them on Firebox and was tempted but seeing your stuff on here was the clincher. I went for the Imagination set which is twelve colours, one hundred of each. Only took thirty minutes of playing to come to the conclusion I should of gone for the next set up, nevermind...

Anyway, here is my first creation :]

ducky.jpg

Well, there lies my problem. I actually started by doing the dog's head and didn't even have enough to complete that. I started using other colours but it just looked crap. So hence ended up with the duck.

I hope the fantasy set comes with enough red to do the original Outrun sprite.

That'd be nice...

I've kept my Mario sprites since creating them, which used a large chunk of my set. I'm thinking about creating something else soon though, try and keep the rotation going.

Need some inspiration though; anyone know of any good sprite sheet sites?

I've found this one: http://www.gsarchives.net/index2.php

I got the Dream set first (875 pieces), and realised I didn't have anywhere near enough pieces to make anything that I wanted to. So I forked out for the Fantasy set (2000 pieces), and still found myself short of black pieces (for Yoshi's Island stuff, especially). The Rainbow Islands stuff is good though, as there are loads of colours and not much black in them.

They're like crack, aren't they? I still want more. :(

I wanna use a new game for reference...

I keep using Nintendo's stuff (for obvious reasons), the rainbow island stuff looks lush.

Anyone got a sugestion for another bright and cheery game that I could use the sprites from?

I wanna use a new game for reference...

I keep using Nintendo's stuff (for obvious reasons), the rainbow island stuff looks lush.

Anyone got a sugestion for another bright and cheery game that I could use the sprites from?

New Zealand Story or any GBA Zelda game - possibly Minish Cap for the lovely, lovely sprites.