Halo Franchise

Now don't point your guns at me yet, I'm not a ranting fanboy. I'd just like to understand why there is so much hype and antecipation around the Halo franchise.

I'm asking because since I got a X360, I figured out that having Halo 2 would give me something to play whenever I got bored of the other games, and it was dirty cheap. So I got it.

Why am I asking? Because >>>>personally<<<< I don't see how Halo and Halo 2 can garner such attention from the public, even despite the colossal effort by MS to market it. They're good games, but hardly the Second Coming. Both have barely acceptable single player campaingns. Halo 2's multiplayer have it's shining moments, but nothing spectacular either - I find myself firing up Call of Duty 2 multiplayer much more than Halo's (discount the lag issues, speaking of the multiplayer experience itself.)

Perhaps it's because the console crowd never had a solid multiplayer FPS before Halo? Is it brainwashing from Evil Willian Gates III? Am I getting bloody old and bitter? Do I deserve to die for asking this?

The first Halo changed the nature of the FPS genre, wheter people liked it or not. The two weapon system, combat, ai, enviroments and other factors lead to this reaction.

The second Halo brought the FPS genre online for a console for the first time on a large scale.

There.

The first Halo changed the nature of the FPS genre, wheter people liked it or not. The two weapon system, combat, ai, enviroments and other factors lead to this reaction.

The second Halo brought the FPS genre online for a console for the first time on a large scale.

There.

I disagree on the "Halo changed" FPS genre. I probably say that because I've never owned an Xbox. But I'm sure that Half Life and Goldeneye showed how to do it years before Halo.

I'm sure it would have added something or do something differently but then practically every game for every genre add it's own twist (if only a tiny one).

I'm not sure if it's because Halo was innovative in any way, just that it was perfectly tuned. Weapons, AI, graphics, level design... Actually, yes, scratch that last one. The level design was variable. But when it was good it was very, very good. And when it was bad it was acceptable. I certainly consider it one of the finest single player experiences I've ever had.

I actually finished it and I don't finish many games. And when I finished I started it up again from level one straightaway, which is something I never do.

Halo 2 wasn't as good after some fantastic early stuff. I never even bothered to complete the single player mode. But the online multiplayer made up for it. I still rate it as the most fun you can have in a Deatmatch situation online. (But I've not played CoD2 online yet, I must admit. I'm waiting for them to sort it out.)

Halo 1 wasn't particulary innovative, but it did everything so well. Enemies, vehicles, weapons, levels (except The Library) and so on. Plus it had a great story and characters. It did have a few sprigs of origionality with the shield system and two weapon limit.

Halo 2 has a great multiplyer...but I only like 5 of the single player levels and think the story is a load of bollocks. And this is coming from a Halo fanboy. Still it improved on the actual mechanics with dual wielding and such.

You're probably missing out if you didn't enjoy it when it first came out. The differences between that and other FPS games at the time was much bigger ("Recharging shield? WTF!"), whereas now all of the good features have been ripped off for other games.

The storyline was always pathetic though...

Halo 1 wasn't particulary innovative, but it did everything so well. Enemies, vehicles, weapons, levels (except The Library) and so on. Plus it had a great story and characters. It did have a few sprigs of origionality with the shield system and two weapon limit.

Halo 2 has a great multiplyer...but I only like 5 of the single player levels and think the story is a load of bollocks. And this is coming from a Halo fanboy. Still it improved on the actual mechanics with dual wielding and such.

Agreed for the most part, Halo is what sold me an XBox, after seeing and playing it at a friends, made me just want to have it, and it is a fantastic game.

Halo 2 is also a very good game, if you can look past the issues with pop in etc. the only thing that really killed this for me was the online, with a group of friends it is great, but there is only so much trash talk I can put up with from juvenile yanks.

Being a Mac user as well, I have a lot of respect for Bungie, as they have always produced the goods, so no doubt Halo 3 will be very good.

Now don't point your guns at me yet, I'm not a ranting fanboy. I'd just like to understand why there is so much hype and antecipation around the Halo franchise.

I'm asking because since I got a X360, I figured out that having Halo 2 would give me something to play whenever I got bored of the other games, and it was dirty cheap. So I got it.

Why am I asking? Because >>>>personally<<<< I don't see how Halo and Halo 2 can garner such attention from the public, even despite the colossal effort by MS to market it. They're good games, but hardly the Second Coming. Both have barely acceptable single player campaingns. Halo 2's multiplayer have it's shining moments, but nothing spectacular either - I find myself firing up Call of Duty 2 multiplayer much more than Halo's (discount the lag issues, speaking of the multiplayer experience itself.)

Perhaps it's because the console crowd never had a solid multiplayer FPS before Halo? Is it brainwashing from Evil Willian Gates III? Am I getting bloody old and bitter? Do I deserve to die for asking this?

Depends. What if I were to suggest you only like ICO because people on forums told you it was good?

Halo was stunning when it first came out. The two weapon limit and the shield changed the way fps´s were played. It also was probably the first game were older weapons weren´t useless when you got new ones.

The emergent gameplay that was a result of the consistent physics engine, level design and the well implemented AI was very impressive at the time. It also introduced npc´s that weren´t completely useless and which served to immerse you into the game with their seldom repeated and appropriate banter. They´re also are one of the few npc´s where I care if they ´live´or die.

Altogeteher it was very much a milestone in fps development and one of the best gaming experiences I´ve ever had. It even turned friends that were die-hard pc fps players to the xbox.

Halo was stunning when it first came out. The two weapon limit and the shield changed the way fps´s were played. It also was probably the first game were older weapons weren´t useless when you got new ones.

The emergent gameplay that was a result of the consistent physics engine, level design and the well implemented AI was very impressive at the time. It also introduced npc´s that weren´t completely useless and which served to immerse you into the game with their seldom repeated and appropriate banter. They´re also are one of the few npc´s where I care if they ´live´or die.

Altogeteher it  was very much a milestone in fps development and one of the best gaming experiences I´ve ever had. It even turned friends that were die-hard pc fps players to the xbox.

I don't really see what/how physics are in Halo :(

Halo's alright, some great ideas (mainly gun/shield system), but some of the levels are shoot-myself-bad

The Halo universe and story are also excellent. Yes they are.

One thing about Halo CE was that every battle had a cinematic quality to it. It almost was too good to be true - you'd shoot a banshee out of the sky for it to come crashing down and miss your head by an inch. You'd bail out of a warthog a split second before a plasma shell turned it into a massive explosion behind you. You get the idea. It all stemmed from a perfectly solid, consistent world. Also, despite the simplicity of the combat, the potential for strategising was huge. It's really an amazing achievement.

Halo 2 didn't always have the same dynamism, but every screenshot from that game looks like it could be a staged capture. I don't know why that is, but it just all looks so exciting. More exciting than it really is, even.

I must admit I'm not a big fan of the franchise myself. I though the orignal Halo was good, but I don't hold it in the same regard as many gamers do. Far to much of the game bored me/pissed me off, but then truth be told no FPS has ever really captured my imagination. The most fun I've had with any FPS was the original Unreal Tournament.

I thought Halo 2 was awful. Never ever could force myself to complete the single player campain.

That said most console gamers I now loved Halo, it's one of my best mates favourites games. The lads I know that play both console and PC games never seemed to like it all that much right enough.

goldeneye pushed the first person shooter into having a little depth. half life 1 stole its mantle a short while later - and then HALO took the crown after that.

half life 2 has now reclaimed it - and i'm hoping we will have another new franchise this generation that will take the genre to new heights - before half life 3 comes along in about four years and blows our little minds.

i love 1st perosn shooters, me.

Regarding innovation, was Halo the first FPS to seamlessly integrate driving/flying with on-foot combat? Maybe UT did it first, I'm not sure.

Anyway, for me, Halo offered an unprecedented level of freedom that I had never before experienced, what with its huge levels and no loading times (during the levels at least). The Silent Cartographer: a whole island to explore! You could go round it and everything! :( The only other game that I've ever played over and over again to such an extent is Goldeneye.

I am a complete Halo convert.

I was a PC FPS only guy through and through and when my mate lent me his xbox a couple of years back all I was interested in was PGR2, KOTOR. I played Halo for 10 minutes and dismissed it.

When I got my own xbox he convinced me to start playing link up and the game suddenly became something brilliant. Along came Halo 2 and then online and I now play at least 5 - 10 hours a week for the past 8 months.

Battlefield 2, Half Life 2, FEAR, counter strike, UT2004 and many other PC FPS have come and gone but Halo 2 still keeps me going back. It's highs online are far higher than any other.

After 8 months of online play I'm still learning new stuff, techniques, tactics and still rising the levels in all the different game types all at the end of 4 or 5 button presses.

Halo did something brilliant to the FPS genre and Halo 2 took that and optimised it for the online experience. Yes they both have their issues but no 2 games have sapped my time over the years like the Halo series.

:)

So you prefer Set Piece Based World War 2 FPS 2006 to "Holy crap, people are going to be copying this game for 5 years": Combat Evolved?

;)

It's no wonder you can't understand why Halo's got such an aura surrounding it, you're clearly from some sort of parallel dimension.

Halo Combat Evolved was AMAZING.

Every level in campaign was fantastic (library only fantastic in co-op). The size of the levels, the openness, the ability to do and see something different EVERY time you play it. Every level has multiple routes you can take and multiple strategies to take.

Halo Co-Op is the finest thing ever. To work together, one providing intel for the other and covering each others backs..the way it works is just..."wow"

Halo2 was good but didn't live up to expectation in campaign. Halo2 Live was fantastic, but shit at the same time