Silent Hill 2

Guitar Heroine

7 hours ago, Jg15 said:

The HD Collection seems to be in the Xbox sale all the time. Every time I see it I struggle not to hit the purchase button, but then I come to my senses.

Fuck Konami.

Ah just picked it up it's £6.24... Not exactly a huge amount of money :D At least it will be easy to access on the my console also reading though the reviews it seems a lot of the bugs were fixed. OK the fog might not be as good but you do get the option to play with the original voices. I'll find out how it compares later I guess. Having had a quick go on the PS2 version on an emulator it was very grainy and doesn't look great on a larger non CRT screen so fog withstanding I expect this will a least be a little cleaner on the visuals side. 

9 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Having had a quick go on the PS2 version on an emulator it was very grainy

It is intentionally grainy, although I can't say if an emulated version is making it worse or not, and running the game on a modern display would lose the effect of the CRT so the actual true version might not be attainable.

1 minute ago, Fry Crayola said:

It is intentionally grainy, although I can't say if an emulated version is making it worse or not, and running the game on a modern display would lose the effect of the CRT so the actual true version might not be attainable.

Indeed I think its more of the original game and PS2 graphics when blown up to a LED 28" screen that make it look a bit rough. Last time I played this on a PS2 was on a CRT sat at distance. :) 

Still just glad to have it easily accessible on a modern console to be honest. Actually looking forward to trying this when it downloads with some headphones on tonight! :) 

Well its downloaded and had a quick 30 minutes on it. 

To be honest so far its fine. Having played the PS2 version last night its fairly fresh in my mind. I used the alternative voices just to see how they are and to be honest prefer them so far! :D The fog isn't as swirling and as dense as the PS2 version but does the job well enough to give that air of uncertainty and provides an unnerving environment to explore. 

So far no problems here with the HD remaster. OK its a port of the PS2 game without too much re-imaging of the graphics or textures and sounds.  Given that they had little or no source code from the original game to work off and probably a meagre budget they had for this its good enough. I'd rather it be here than not. At least it gives us a way we can still experience it on modern console platforms.  

Personally I think the fan kickback on this is too extreme. Possibly it was buggier on its initial release which caused most of the negative feedback it got. Is it worth £6.24? Absolutely. It's Silent Hill 2 probably not the definitive version but as good as we get and still feels every bit like the Silent Hill 2 I played back in the day - same story - same oppressive environments to explore etc.  Also not forgetting you get Silent Hill 3 included too. Although I probably wouldn't pay £25 for it to be fair.

In other news there are rumours of two new Silent Hill games on the horizon...  :) 

7 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

I'm hoping to God that Konami have seen how well Capcom have done with Resi 2 and 3 remakes, and are making a similar remake for SH1, with a view to doing similar to 2 and 3 afterwards.

You'd hope so. But this is Konami. Although they have remastered MGS games. So there is hope.

Talking of RE had a quick play of the Remastered version of the original Resident Evil the other night (its on GamePass at the moment). It looks really nice from what I can see it's using similar graphics quality to the remaster they did on the GameCube all those years ago. Still not a huge fan of that series though. 

You know, I can't be bothered with 2. Times have changed, I just cannot find the energy and will to walk through an apartment building over and over, again and again looking for items. I have 2 coins, I need 3 more, there's a locked door with a note on it and I can not find that sodding key that's in as room near a stairwell. I could ask the internet but I'm done.

Loved in on PS2, one of my favourite games. I'll preserve that memory.

1 minute ago, df0 said:

You know, I can't be bothered with 2. Times have changed, I just cannot find the energy and will to walk through an apartment building over and over, again and again looking for items. I have 2 coins, I need 3 more, there's a locked door with a note on it and I can not find that sodding key that's in as room near a stairwell. I could ask the internet but I'm done.

:D Get what you mean... Having hard save points is something I completely forgot about games having back then too. Although it could have been done to add tension however I think it was some technical limitation back then perhaps.

I'm enjoying it proper old school adventure :) 

I understand. I struggle with knowing all the story beats and revelations combined with being unable to trigger/find certain items. I know what to do in broad terms, just the details escape me which leads to tedious backtracking hoping to find a required item.

The lack of the element of surprise and revelations make me very hard pressed to care. I put both difficulties on Easy expecting to play through it in an evening, but I've been stuck in that apartment complex for 2 evenings now :lol: 

Other things that have changed over the time since this has released is highlighting on screen of relevant objects - its quite easy to miss things at times in this. Playing on "Normal" levels though so perhaps it does help on lower levels. Never played it on anything but normal.

Actually enjoying the throwback to an earlier time in gaming. Recently played through Day Of The Tentacle and Full Throttle too (both on GamePass). Personally think games  have got a little easier over time although to be fair Full Throttle was pretty easy - DoTT not so with quite obscure puzzles at times. :D 

What I want to know did the OP of this topic ever finish the game? :) 

I replayed DotT a while ago on PS4 and was surprised by how much I remembered. Push speaker to peel off the puke of the ceiling, painting the fence and have the cat crawl under it to create a skunk, open the radiator lid so the fake teeth get stuck, break a statue in the past two you can push the woman through the door in the future, stick hamster in the freezer. Illogical in parts, but knowing that to do helps when replaying the game. Also, traversal is less of a slog in DotT. Going through the same dark gloomy hallway and rooms in SH2 just does not appeal to me. No voices, no music (apart from ambient noise), no distractions to keep me from focussing on how bored I am.

I'll stop whining now :) Great game, loved it on PS2.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Other things that have changed over the time since this has released is highlighting on screen of relevant objects - its quite easy to miss things at times in this. 

James will look over in the direction of objects that can be picked up, fyi. 

Visually this actually looks fine in the interiors, great in fact. Exteriors... I don't remember there being such an obviously visible cut-off point for the fog in the foreground, sure it may have been partially hidden by old SD CRT screens, but it still feels like something is wrong. Fortunately most of the game is spent indoors and generally it holds up really well.

As far as the audio goes, I don't know what the fuck is going on. Played the first minute with the new voices, immediately rebooted and started again. Sound playback itself seems quite glitchy, certain effects cutting in and out etc. I'm playing with headphones and I swear the left/right channels are backwards (you'll hear an enemy in your left ear and they'll appear from your right etc). I'll probably play the rest through my sound bar and it won't be such an issue.

Still, it's SH2, it was £6 and it's better than nothing. As I understand the SH3 is supposed to fare worse, but I have no intention of replaying that.

5 hours ago, CarloOos said:

It's better than nothing.

I don't think that's true to be honest. The original (PS2) version is the most atmospheric and weird, the remake takes off the weirdness filter and just let's you experience the story and gameplay. 

And its a pretty awful copy of Resident evil, gameplay wise. 

3 hours ago, Percy Filth said:

I don't think that's true to be honest. The original (PS2) version is the most atmospheric and weird, the remake takes off the weirdness filter and just let's you experience the story and gameplay. 

And its a pretty awful copy of Resident evil, gameplay wise. 

I think it’s a shitty way of treating gaming heritage, and does a disservice to the creators of the original. But if you don’t own a PC or a PS2 and do know exactly what you’re getting into, it is indeed better than nothing.

It’s the same as a revisionist blu-ray grade where they remix the audio for an old film and make it worse. It’s shit and it’s annoying, but if you want to watch it then it’s the only version on the market right now. Fortunately films are continually being remastered so there’s always a chance the next edition fixes things, whereas some gamers seem to piss and moan every single time a current-gen remaster is announced. They should really just have another crack at this whole thing and do it properly, the HD collection we’re talking about is almost 10 years old.

On 12/02/2021 at 11:20, df0 said:

This is my view of Silent Hill as well.

Have amazing memories of playing the first 3 but know that times have moved on. 

Plus with how Konami are right now, it’s hard to know whether any remake would be a diamond or dihorea 

1 minute ago, probotector said:

This is my view of Silent Hill as well.

Have amazing memories of playing the first 3 but know that times have moved on. 

Plus with how Konami are right now, it’s hard to know whether any remake would be a diamond or dihorea 

Thing is, I would kill for an old style Silent Hill now. I don't care about the dated controls or the fetch key/item quests, the atmosphere is so damn good.

Playing the Medium doesn't help. the game is blatantly influenced by Silent Hill, even imitating a lot of the fetch quest type puzzles. It's just not Silent Hill.