Silent Hill 2

Guitar Heroine

38 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

You can't be serious. SH2 is the single scariest piece of entertainment I have ever encountered.

Well, it's completely subjective of course but yes, entirely serious. Creepy, atmospheric, affecting yes but not scary really. I can't say I felt any trepidation about going through a door or into a new area and you can't ever feel in danger when the game throws health and ammo at you like it's going out of fashion. The first game was more schlocky thematically but I found it much more oppressive at the time.

I did notice playing the Resi 2 remake recently that I seem to be incapable of shitting myself with 3rd-person games now though. PT/Alien Isolation/Resi 7 etc. really upped the stakes a lot as far as genuine terror goes and their limited viewpoint is a big part of it.

2 hours ago, Rsdio said:

Well, it's completely subjective of course but yes, entirely serious. Creepy, atmospheric, affecting yes but not scary really. I can't say I felt any trepidation about going through a door or into a new area and you can't ever feel in danger when the game throws health and ammo at you like it's going out of fashion. The first game was more schlocky thematically but I found it much more oppressive at the time.

I did notice playing the Resi 2 remake recently that I seem to be incapable of shitting myself with 3rd-person games now though. PT/Alien Isolation/Resi 7 etc. really upped the stakes a lot as far as genuine terror goes and their limited viewpoint is a big part of it.

Have you played the first Dead Space again recently/at all? That's still shit scary (especially with headphones on) even though it does begin to choreograph it's scared a little too much the further into it you go.

No, I never played it at the time. I've looked into the PC version once or twice but it seems to have lots of issues so I've been vaguely hanging on for some sort of remaster.

Me not finding SH2 scary certainly isn't intended as a criticism, by the way. The slow, creeping atmosphere it has for most of its length is a far more rare and precious commodity for me.

2 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

I found Silent Hill 2 terrifying, so I'd certainly be on the "ah now catch yourself on" boat. Many a time I had to stop playing because going through another door was just too much for me. 

The part in the prison scared me so much, I turned it off back in 2001 and have never played it again since.

I have no idea how I managed to complete Silent Hill 2*. It scared the absolute shit out of me and I'll probably never play anything like it again. I can't handle horror anymore; I've still got Alan Wake on my pile of shame 'cos I can't bring myself to boot it up!

(*On a small TV, during daylight, pretty much.)

20 hours ago, mansizerooster said:

I've found myself playing SH1 recently. Though it isn't as good as SH2, it still definitely stands up and I'd say it's the second best game in the series.

It's amazing, the amount of atmosphere that they managed to squeeze out of the PS1. Sony definitely didn't imagine a game as affecting as Silent Hill could have been brought into existence using their hardware when they developed it.

My first experience of Silent Hill was when a friend of mine brought back some imports and pirated games from holiday. Aside from the naughtiness of supporting piracy (sorry), there was something a bit forboding and mysterious about the experience. None of them had proper boxes or manuals so we didn't know what any of them were and we didn't have the internet back then. And because it was an import, for some reason his TV couldn't play in colour. So we just sat and played this really obscure, weird horror game in black-and-white in his room with the lights off and it was unlike anything we'd ever seen before! Plenty of "what the fuck was that?!" moments and then shitting ourselves when the air raid sirens go off and the world turns to rust and things appear and disappear and the map stops following the rules of euclidean space...

I played it properly on my own some time later and while it remained an astonishing experience, I don't think I'll ever forget that first encounter with it.

It almost didn't matter that the PS1's graphics were made of flickering polygons and massive warped pixels, they surpassed those limitations with artistry and heightened imagination. For once, the fog effect made sense!

• 1 year later...

So after playing through The Medium recently got me thinking about replaying Silent Hill 2. Have no PS2 or game disks. PC versions seem to be selling for silly money.

What is the best way to experience this these days? Looking through this thread there seems to be a site with a bunch of enhancements over the base PC game. Is this it? Other than getting a PS2 and a copy of the game.

Frustratingly had a moment of crazy clutter clearing a couple of years ago and both Silent Hill 2 and PS2 went. :)

Really wish Konami would just remaster this and put it out there. It would be awesome to have it on newer platforms. Lots of other things seem to get remastered just strange Konami seemed to have taken zero interest in this at all. Perhaps there is no market for it anymore.... however Team Blobber seemed to have done reasonably well with The Medium... 

This is an interesting watch

Basically avoid the HD remasters! Even though they are currently on sale at the Xbox store for £6.24.

And I'm listening to this:-

This really was an awesome game... 

There is hope perhaps...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-01-26-report-konami-has-two-new-silent-hill-games-in-development#comments

Yeah, unless anything has changed in the last 18 months the best option is probably yarring the PC version and modding it. It was a bit fiddly to get set up nicely with Windows 10 but YMMV I guess, it's possible the process might've changed in that time too.

1 hour ago, Rsdio said:

Yeah, unless anything has changed in the last 18 months the best option is probably yarring the PC version and modding it. It was a bit fiddly to get set up nicely with Windows 10 but YMMV I guess, it's possible the process might've changed in that time too.

Looks like a bit of a faff to get working but well I'm determined so time to yarr a PC version and get cracking.... :D Really enjoying the soundtrack.

I've been watching some YouTube and listening to the music and can hardly believe this is 20 years old this year. Don't think this has ever been beaten since it released either by Team Silent or other games in the genre. Just wish there was more focus in the industry at times in telling stories that don't involve shooting things or combat as a main element of the game. The Medium was a refreshing change - sure it has its own issues and it pales in comparison to this however at least they got it released. 

Said it before and I'll say it again. If Konami get the backsides into gear and release a new Silent Hill with a majority of the team involved that made Silent Hill 2 and have a captivating story I will buy it and the platform it arrives on instantly. 

2 hours ago, MattyP said:

Looks like a bit of a faff to get working but well I'm determined so time to yarr a PC version and get cracking.... :D Really enjoying the soundtrack.

I've been watching some YouTube and listening to the music and can hardly believe this is 20 years old this year. Don't think this has ever been beaten since it released either by Team Silent or other games in the genre. Just wish there was more focus in the industry at times in telling stories that don't involve shooting things or combat as a main element of the game. The Medium was a refreshing change - sure it has its own issues and it pales in comparison to this however at least they got it released. 

Said it before and I'll say it again. If Konami get the backsides into gear and release a new Silent Hill with a majority of the team involved that made Silent Hill 2 and have a captivating story I will buy it and the platform it arrives on instantly. 

Siren is a good one for atmosphere and was made I think by the person who did SH1. It's hard to get your head around but I've just been through the first two games very recently. There's a PS3 version but I've yet to check that one out. It has SH vibes about it definitely but it's also very unique however does take a lot of patience. 

If you have literally no other way of playing them (no PC, no old consoles) playing the HD remastered version must still be better than nothing right? Especially considering they're unlikely to get another remaster or remake anytime soon?

I'm struggling to believe the remasters are so bad as to ruin such revered games, especially at what amounts to £3 each on Xbox right now and considering it's literally that or nothing...

5 minutes ago, Majora said:

If you have literally no other way of playing them (no PC, no old consoles) playing the HD remastered version must still be better than nothing right? Especially considering they're unlikely to get another remaster or remake anytime soon?

I'm struggling to believe the remasters are so bad as to ruin such revered games, especially at what amounts to £3 each on Xbox right now and considering it's literally that or nothing...

Indeed for the price and convenience this is what I was thinking... Essentially it will scratch the SH2 itch. Its been a long while since I played through this anyway so.... 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-what-went-wrong-with-silent-hill-hd#comments

Reading through that seems the 360 port at least sticks to the 30fps target. 

OK managed to get this fired up in a PS2 emulator... working great.... and still as good as I remember... :) 

The sound and atmosphere is still superb on this and can see Team Bloober have borrowed lots of things but not quite nailed it. The long walk at the beginning as it draws you into the world is just fantastic design building tension as you get to the town centre.

The SH3 remaster replaced the voice actors. Which I believe is the biggest gripe. As for the SH2, I’d argue it’s the best way to play them outside of piracy or on a PS2, as long as you can forgive a few things. Namely comic sans. Never forget!

8813D4B1-AD12-4467-89B7-9149BA9328BF.jpeg.f75c96d9c23fafe187b68a88e5261075.jpeg

So we all know they butchered Silent Hill Remaster. We've seen the comparison footage, we've read stories. Stories about one guy in particular: Tomm Hulett. Reportedly the sole person responsible for the entire debacle. The truth - this should come as no surprise - is more complicated.

Part 1 is below. Part 2 is linked to at the end of the video. I thought it was a fascinating video clarifying a lot and once again showing rabid delusional fanboys are the worst.

Interesting - so its Konami management that seems to be the main issue really. Guessing their focus has been getting the bottom line healthy for shareholders rather than passion for the games they are making and their brand. Guessing makes sense if they aren't getting the returns of investment they need from the big budget AAA games and mobile / gambling games are making them more money for the effort they are putting in.

Shame really. Seems like a hugely different company these days with different priorities. Think the only way another release of Silent Hill is going to happen is if someone licenses the brand and makes it. 

18 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Re: Comic sans... wow, I'd never seen that. Unreal.

But also are you telling me literally nobody involved figured out a way of ripping the audio from the PC release of SH3? :hmm: That's got to be preferable to re-recording the lot.

Legal issues probably. I honestly do not know who owns the rights to the voice actor's voice in this case, but judging by the decision to re-record everything I bet using the old voices was too much of a hassle.

The Silent Hill 2 book I mentioned earlier discusses that the reason the voice acting was re-recorded - for the second game, at least - is that the original mix was in stereo and Konami/Hijinx wanted 5.1 sound. The original acting was then included as an option because of the fan reaction.

Presumably Silent Hill 3 was a similar situation but without the corresponding outcry, though it was reported as being down to factors "both technical and logistical", suggesting that they couldn't come to any agreement with the cast.

1 hour ago, df0 said:

Legal issues probably. I honestly do not know who owns the rights to the voice actor's voice in this case, but judging by the decision to re-record everything I bet using the old voices was too much of a hassle.

Watching the second part to the video above looks like it was mainly down to the sketchy way Konami handled the contracts in the day so the legal situation wasn't clear as the original voice actor for SH2 kicked up at the time of the remasters.

I'm probably going to buy the remasters anyway. I know its not the best way of playing them but at least I can just fire up my console to play them and well its only £6 for both games at the moment so can't complain at that. It will be interesting to compare the PS2 version I've been emulating to the HD remakes to see how bad they are - I expect the game-breaking bugs will have been sorted out by now.

You wouldn’t need new VO to do a 5.1 mix though, it’s usually same masters assembled differently. Must have been a legal thing.

SH3 isn’t all that anyway, and fortunately there’s barely any dialogue in these games. Can’t get over that comic sans thing, though.

Did they ever fix the fog?