The Spurs Thread

Rafa Honigstein says Rafa van der Vaart has gone to Hamburg.

:(

They're really struggling, I hope he said "I must go now, my people need me." Before thrusting a fist in the air and flying away at the speed of a slightly overweight man trying to track a fullback.

I'm feeling a little emotional, he's been one of our best players and was a massive coup when we signed him, really helped to raise the profile of the club. Some great displays on the pitch as well, he was a real Tottenham player.

I understand why you would say that, but the fact is because of him we have barely got any better in the last few seasons. I know he likes to a good bargain but sometimes because of this we have missed out on a lot of players recently and some of the Spurs are starting to get pissed off with the way he conducts his business.

SAF reckons we're going to try and poach Berbatov from under BMJ's nose. Not a man you want to antagonise.

As for Berbs, I think he's still a fantastic player - though I'd wonder why we're letting VDV, Hudd and Daws go due to a perceived 'lack of mobility' for a player who wouldn't run fast if you paid him £110 000 a week. I'll be surprised as well as I believe Fulham may be willing to make him a 'marquee' signing and pay his massive wages. We're unlikely to do the same for what will be a squad player.

In it's favour of course we can sing 'Berba come back!" for a few hours, and if he signs sing 'Berba got back'. But then I think Fulham poaching him from Italian giants and the whole surprise of getting him would justify "I wasn't looking, but somehow you found me... Berba you're the best". Which is by far the best song of the three I've though of so far.

I feel that both Spurs and Arsenal are in very similar positions these days. We have both sold our best players , brought some decent players in, but are both still 2 or even 3 players short of being a really good team. Also we are just about the only teams that are not willing to spend silly money and like to make a profit instead.

At least Arsenal don't have a middle aged goalkeeper and didn't have to call on Jermaine Jenas at the weekend.

Do you remember a few seasons back when Spurs were being praised for their strength in depth? Admittedly it wasn't true, but look at us now. It's a first XI and a bunch of deadwood plus Defoe.

I want Rafa to stay :(

With the Moutinho deal do you think it is just brinkmanship? Levy is just staring them down and seeing who blinks first. We have to buy him or get bummed this season as we've sold everyone who can read a game and pass the ball. They have to sell to service their debts. They should just have a drag race towards a cliff and have done with it already.

Of course back in FM08-10 I used to have VDV and Moutinho in whatever club I ended up at. It was unstoppable.

Yep popping up elsewhere now - sounds like we may have sucked it up and paid the release clause. He better be bloody marvellous, excited to see us really break the bank for a player though.

Still hoping for Remy and Lloris.

EDIT: Disregard. Figure being touted is £22 million. Sounds like a great deal.

Yea was about to post L'Equipe have said it. They're reliable should be a done deal now.

Will be really happy to get him, should probably release Carlo though or plead with someone to take Gomes off our hands (is he injured again)?

Anyway Lloris, I was thinking we could have a keeper for the next decade in him. All the clubs that could potentially pinch him are pretty well suited long term for keepers. Madrid have Casillas, Chelsea have Cech, United have De Gea, Bayern have Neuer... over in Italy Inter just signed Handanovic and so on. Only really Barca and Milan who have suspect/aging keepers. I know Gigi is 34 but I'm sure Juve will keep him plugging away.

Rafa has officially gone. :(

We've lost what are probably our three best players in the last 20 years this season. King, Modric and VDV, such classy performers. Personal favourites up there with Mabbutt and Anderton for me (it really was a hard time growing up in the 90s).

We'll be better suited to AVB's style of play. I don't think the team will be any better than 'Arry's but I feel it has greater longterm potential. The feeling of transition is a nice one - I just hope it all works out.

At least AVB wants to keep our buccaneering tradition, if anything he wants to accentuate it. We're not West Ham watching Big Sam violently defecate over our traditional style as he 'overhauls' the squad into his own horrific image.

Oh Levy

Here's what Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas had to say about Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy regarding Spurs's move for Hugo Lloris. It is not particularly complimentary: "We have had people speaking all night with Daniel Levy. He talks a lot and goes back on what we've agreed in writing.

"The things as they were at 5am were not the same at 10am. I think we have to make sure we get a certain amount of value because it's important that Hugo can go to a quality club that allows him to do himself justice from a value point of view, so that he can feel right about it.

"At the moment we're talking about whether he can come back to say his goodbyes to the supporters, to his team-mates, so we can honour him, this truly great player and brilliant man. I would put it at 50-50 that Hugo goes to Tottenham. Although from the outset we've submitted to agreements I would now put it at 50-50 that he'll be going there.

"Agreements have not at all been respected. We've done what we can. Hugo has been troubled by the difficulty in these negotiations."

Never change.

In spite of that French media are reporting it as a done deal - £7.9m plus £3.9m in bonuses.

Phillipe Auclair said it was great business, and being an attention whore I asked for whom. He said "Spurs, definitely". I know of course, I just wanted him to talk at me :wub:

Remy looks like he's going to Chelsea. Also apparently there's some issues with Moutinho over personal terms at the moment.

I think you're potentially signing some really good players (and Lloris lol), but major surgery on the first XI will always cause issues for a while (see Arsenal's attacking players at the moment).