IGNORED

The Spurs Thread

We were pretty unlucky weren't we, apart from Ba's little bit of magic, Newcastle did not do anything all game and apart from their distribution at times the defence looked pretty solid.

Bale was pretty poor though and I can not remember him once getting a cross in though to be fair with only Defoe to aim at you can not really blame him.

We need a massive clear out really, Bentley, Jenas, Huddlestone and Dawson all seem surplus to requirements in AVB's eyes so if we can get them out and with the money from Modric surely we can get in two strikers, Modric's replacement and some cover for the wings.

Apparently a deal for Leandro and Moutinho is 'done'. Should be announced early this week. I've also heard that Levy enquired about Llorente and that the Adebayor deal isn't over personal terms with the player - Manu is happy with what's been offered, but that his agent is trying to wrangle some money out of City for terminating his contract.

Although there are also rumours that Levy may have torpedoed the Modric deal by going to Madrid and asking for more money again - though this may have been a stalling tactic so he could announce the new signings the same day Modric goes. If it isn't a tactic then you have to worry about the Moutinho and Leandro deals.

Yesterday's game showed that the team was severely lacking in its core, Gallas is not up to snuff and neither are Livermore or Defoe when you're looking at the spine of a team. Hopefully it will all be addressed by the signings and Vertonghen coming in. I'm a bit worried about Friedel as well. Still a defeat against Newcastle away isn't the end of the world.

I didn't like seeing Bale going all inside out again - I know AVB says he learned his lesson about changing too quickly but that's one aspect of Harry's reign we could do without asap. Although Lennon played well I thought, and obviously got the assist by going inside out himself.

We seem to be linked with everyone as usual and also as usual we are not signing any of them.

I know we have a new stadium to fund but the way we have acted in the last 4 transfer windows has really held us back now and if we don't pull our fingers out this will be Bale's and Van der Vaart's last season and then we will be going back to the dark ol days of the 90's.

I am now seeing Darren Bent being touted for a return.

Sweet mercy.

Actually he isn't that bad a player, though does seem to excel at more mid table sides. I don't see him as being what we need at all though, we want a striker who can bring the best out of Bale, VDV and Sigurdsson. I'd much sooner see Berbatov come back. Also he's just been made Villa captain, I don't see why he'd return to somewhere he was so unhappy, unless we're offering him shitloads more money.

Today's rumours are that yesterday's Chamakh rumours were just rumours.

Meanwhile rumours abound that Miralem Pjanic is a new target. A rumour that makes little sense considering how many nimble attacking midfielders we have; though I don't know, has he been playing a little deeper at Roma in a Modric style role? I know he can play a bit, and I think I've posted before that 'Pjanic on the streets of London' will make a great song and has versatility for away games against the likes of Villa, Hull and Grasmere.

We have been linked to Miralem Pjanic in every transfer window for about 4 years now so maybe we will finally get him this time.

I just wish we got linked to players we can actually realistically sign. Today we are being linked with both Llorente and Dzeko and face it we do not have a chance in signing either of them.

West Brom do have a pretty scintillating strikeforce at the moment, they keep adding to it as well. As for ours, I don't really see why Dzeko is out of our grasp - he's nowhere near first choice at City and unless Chelsea want him as a Drogba replacement I don't think there are many places better than Spurs - maybe a Serie A club like Juve or Milan? I know they could use a big man up front, I don't think any German club would be after him and no one outside of Madrid and Barca have any money in Spain. Wages would be an issue of course, but based off reputations alone I think we're a good fit for someone like Dzeko.

I signed Pjanic in football manager once for Spurs and he was excellent, getting average ratings of well over 8 each season. He also resisted my attempts to take him with me to Madrid so he is very loyal. I consider this adequete scouting and good enough reason to sign him.

Might be tabling a bid for Adam Johnson as well though I think he'll definitely go to Sunderland.

I'm in favour of us picking up himself or Sturridge as a proper inside out winger would better compliment Bale if he continues to insist on switching flanks - it will mean we'll always have someone hugging the byline and stretching defences.

And THudd might be on his way for the Tottenham Hotspur reunion party they're having over in Stoke.

A shame as I like Daws and Hudd but it is a clear statement of intent from AVB - he wants players who can really shift and sadly that's not these guy's game. Quite exciting though, I'm used to us having some of the league's fastest players but to have total mobility all over the pitch sounds exciting.

Oh and chaps, so confident am I that Adebayor will sign this week I've only gone and put him in my fantasy team now so I can get 4 Spurs players instead of 3.

Might be tabling a bid for Adam Johnson as well though I think he'll definitely go to Sunderland.

I'm in favour of us picking up himself or Sturridge as a proper inside out winger would better compliment Bale if he continues to insist on switching flanks - it will mean we'll always have someone hugging the byline and stretching defences.

Sturridge isn't a winger, he'll come inside more than Bale.

Technically not a Spurs fan but disappointed about Dawson. I know he's had injury problems but I rate him higher than Gallas who is clearly past his best. I can see him going to someone like Villa or Stoke and doing really well.

With Bassong leaving and Rose going out on loan then leftback once again looks like a potential problem. I'd put it as a low priority though behind midfielder and goalkeeper.

Up front I'm pretty happy with what Adebayor, Defoe and Kane offer. A versatile player that could maybe fill in on the flanks or in midfield as well as lead the line would be ideal. If only Thomas Muller had an identical twin.

Has anyone else had a look through the stats Man City released? Defoe had quite a nice chance/conversion rate of around 84% last season - RVP only had 64%. Though Steven Fletcher somehow got 109% so how much stock you want to put in it is up to you.

We still need another striker as if Ade gets injured,loses form or goes to the ANC we really have no replacement.

Rose will go out on loan I expect, for a start he is shit and Naughton can play at LB and we are signing that young LB from Man Utd,so we have plenty of cover there.

There have been a fresh wave of reports that Tottenham officials are in Porte Alegre trying to thrash out this Leandro deal. If we get him then the problem won't be not having any strikers it will be deciding what to do with the ones we have.

We've got a partnership with Internacional (Sandro's old club) and Inter have signed Diego Forlan from, er, other Inter, this season which hints at them preparing to sell their number 9. He's been a target for at least two years but I think Inter are finally willing to give him up for around £17-19 million. It's a lot of money but you'd hope at 23 he's had just enough time developing in Brazil to make the move to Europe. He's just breaking into the national team and he absolutely smashed it at the Olympics, where hopefully he got a good taste for London. This sudden flurry of activity shifting squad players (and the pending Modric move) gives me hope as well - we wouldn't be selling Daws and Hudd if the money wasn't going to be used for something.

Gaston Ramirez is apparently unhappy with Southampton's offer to put themselves into administration paying his transfer fee and wages, so that deal may resurface as well. I'd like to have him, young and an answer to the ineveitable "Oh god our wingers are injured what now" conundrum that always crops up with Bale's bad back and Lennon's groin.

Gaston Ramirez is apparently unhappy with Southampton's offer to put themselves into administration paying his transfer fee and wages, so that deal may resurface as well. I'd like to have him, young and an answer to the ineveitable "Oh god our wingers are injured what now" conundrum that always crops up with Bale's bad back and Lennon's groin.

From what I saw of him at the Olympics, he looked no where near good enough for us. Apart from having a decent shot on him, everything else about him looked pretty poor.

I am not sure about Adam Johnson, he is a talented player but I fear he is another Bentley and will end up pissing it all away.