The Spurs Thread

He has a busy few weeks ahead of him as the squad is pretty bare in places, he needs to get at least 2 new strikers in, someone to play out wide, a centre back and also a goalkeeper who isnt over 40. Then of course when Modric goes we need to find a replacement for him too.

Reports that Siggi will be tied up today too!

Club statement:

The Club is delighted to announce that Andre Villas-Boas has joined as our new Head Coach on a 3 year contract.

Andre was previously at Porto and led them to an undefeated season in the league, winning four trophies and becoming the youngest manager ever to win a European title in the process, before joining Chelsea and extending his run to 39 games undefeated.

Commenting on the appointment, Chairman, Daniel Levy said: “I am delighted that Andre has agreed to become our new Head Coach. He has an outstanding reputation for his technical knowledge of the game and for creating well-organised teams capable of playing football in an attractive and attacking style. Andre shares our long-term ambitions and ethos of developing players and nurturing young talent, and he will be able to do so now at a new world class Training Centre.”

Speaking as the new Head Coach, Andre Villas-Boas said, “Tottenham Hotspur is a great club with a strong tradition and fantastic support, both at home and throughout the world. I feel privileged to be its coach. For me, this is one of the most exciting coaching positions in the Premier League. I have had several discussions with the Chairman and the Board and I share their vision for the future progress of the Club. This is a squad any coach would love to work with and together I believe we can bring success in the seasons ahead."

Andre brings with him two members of his coaching staff - First Team fitness coach Jose Mario Rocha and Daniel Sousa, head of opposition scouting.

Daniel Levy continued: "We are constantly looking to move the Club forward. It is important that we now look to develop the potential within the squads at all levels, whilst strengthening the First Team in the summer in key positions with players who will become part of the future success of the Club.”

Nelsen and Saha already released. We've also managed to get 5.5 million each for Kranjcar and Corluka - shame about Kranjcar as I always rather liked him (and that he liked a shot at goal). But still, broke even on Corluka and turned a profit on Niko not too shabby.

No. Position Player 1 22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png GK Heurelho Gomes 3 22px-Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png MF Gareth Bale 4 22px-Flag_of_France.svg.png DF Younès Kaboul 6 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png MF Tom Huddlestone 7 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png MF Aaron Lennon 8 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png MF Scott Parker 11 22px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png MF Rafael van der Vaart 13 22px-Flag_of_France.svg.png DF William Gallas 14 22px-Flag_of_Croatia.svg.png MF Luka Modrić 15 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png MF Jermaine Jenas 17 22px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png FW Giovani dos Santos 18 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png FW Jermain Defoe 19 22px-Flag_of_Cameroon.svg.png DF Sébastien Bassong 20 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png DF Michael Dawson (vice-captain) No. Position Player 23 22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png GK Carlo Cudicini 24 22px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png GK Brad Friedel 25 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png MF Danny Rose 26 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png DF Ledley King (captain) 27 22px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png MF Iago Falqué 28 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png DF Kyle Walker 29 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png MF Jake Livermore 30 22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png MF Sandro 31 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png MF Andros Townsend 32 22px-Flag_of_Cameroon.svg.png DF Benoît Assou-Ekotto 38 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png MF David Bentley 40 22px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png MF Steven Pienaar 51 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png DF Adam Smith

That's the squad. I heard dos Santos is on his way which leaves deadwood such as: Jenas, Bentley, Bassong and Gomes (and Falque are we still expecting something there?) maybe Pienaar too. I can't really see a way back for the first four at any rate.

His priorities should be ensuring we get Vertonghen and then looking for a couple of strikers.

I am chuffed to bits we have got Sigurdsson he is decent upgrade on Niko and finally we have someone who can take free kicks and corners.

I cant see Chelsea selling us Sturridge but we do need someone who can play on the right sight of a forward 3 so it will interesting to see who we bring in.

I'm just praying AVB can cut out the usual Spurs slump and nonsense against the "poorer" teams. We would have been in the Champions League last season (2011/2012), two seasons prior and the last full season with Martin Jol in the hot seat if we didn't lose games we really shouldn't have lost.

I'm just praying AVB can cut out the usual Spurs slump and nonsense against the "poorer" teams. We would have been in the Champions League last season (2011/2012), two seasons prior and the last full season with Martin Jol in the hot seat if we didn't lose games we really shouldn't have lost.

Yeah, but then we wouldn't be Tottenham ;)

I am not sure I really want Ade, he just misses too many chances for me and from what I have read it seems In AVB's system the striker is only really there to score goals.

But then unless we can get Daimaio, I don't think we can get anyone who is better.