IGNORED

The Spurs Thread

Assuming Adebayor is 'worth' £15 million and we get him for 10, could we do what happened with Gallas and give him a very healthy signing on bonus and not break the wage structure?

I realise Gallas probably only took that knowing this would be his final contract anyway, which won't be the case with Manny but it might be worth a shot.

As for Modric replacements...

... well, I think some of you are under rating him a bit, he's the team's metronome and his contribution is huge even when he doesn't seem to be doing much. Just think of the cup ties we've been losing or tying against awful opposition only to win in the ten minutes he comes on in.

That said, my brother who apparently knows more than I do because he is good at football, reckons that Modric renders van der Vaart ineffective, that they do too similar roles. Now at the moment he'd favour dropping Rafa, but he does think Rafa is a brilliant player and so maybe we don't need a like for like Modric replacement, just give more responsibility to van der Vaart - problem there being his fitness.

Alternatively try and poach Cabaye from Newcastle? What about Huddlestone? He was looking really quite good season before last, is he a total crock now or what?

The pain of last weekend and us missing out on the Champions League was just starting to go , so what happens today, I go back to Swindon for my Brothers wedding and whose carrying the Olympic torch through the town today, fucking Didier Drogba. :facepalm:

Blatantly only there to troll you!

I've found the reiteration by Adebayor and Vertonghen that they still want to join a good thing to relieve some of the anger. We need to bag another couple of people as well as move some others on, but they'd be a great start. If we can do deals early for once we may convince the big guns to give it one last season, especially as it'll likely be Harry's last as well.

• 3 weeks later...

To add to the rumours, David Moyes is apparently being lined up as a replacement.

:coffee:

However, I can't see 'Arry getting sacked when he only has one year left on his contract. If the board doesn't want to renew it because of wage of transfer money demands, they sure as hell are not going to want to pay off 'Arrys final year salary.

However, I can't see 'Arry getting sacked when he only has one year left on his contract. If the board doesn't want to renew it because of wage of transfer money demands, they sure as hell are not going to want to pay off 'Arrys final year salary.

He'll be on something like £5million a year, won't he? He'd be demanding a lot more than that for transfers.

I still don't believe he's left, or even leaving. But obviously we know he has one year left and Redknapp even said on TV out of his own mouth on more than one occasion that him and Levy aren't seeing eye to eye at the moment, as well as using the usual Redknapp-shit-stirring talk of players needing a manager that is settled. He's even blatantly come out with the surely-private fact that Levy's mother had died. So only time will tell, but it's clear that Redknapp is already putting pressure on the powers-at-be.

If he goes it will be because he is sacked - would be pretty odd for that to happen and it wouldn't be for football/performance reasons or if so justifiable really.

Should that happen i would be very pleased with Moyes but he is obv lined up for Man U whenever Fergie goes so not so sure he is a likely candidate.

Thing is as well as he has done over the last 3 seasons, he has made some major mistakes that for me has not really moved the club forward at all. His transfer policy has left us with two goalies at near retirement age, no strikers to speak of at all and a central defence with no proper cover beyond Dawson and Kaboul and his refusal to use any sort of squad rotation in my opinion cost us 3rd place last season.

The club is at a massive crossroads and we could go either way, make a good appointment for our next manager and with a few good signings then we could be challenging near the top for years to come, make a bad appointment and if we lose any two of VDV, Modric or Bale then we could well fall back into mid table mediocrity like we had to suffer through the 90's and early 00's. Levy is going to have to make the biggest decision he has had to make since taking over and I just hope he makes the right one.

Well assuming the rumours are true...

I think Martinez would be good, I'd like to see his 3-4-3 or a 3-5-2 attempted at Spurs.

Gallas - Dawson - Vertonghen

Walker - Parker - Modric - Bale

van der Vaart - Adebayor - Defoe

?

Could drop Defoe, move Bale up and play BAE in the wingback role. Lennon is an option off the bench for VDV, or could employ Sandro in place of Defoe and use a 3-5-2 formation - ala the Italians with Modric in that Pirlo role.

Thing is as well as he has done over the last 3 seasons, he has made some major mistakes that for me has not really moved the club forward at all. His transfer policy has left us with two goalies at near retirement age, no strikers to speak of at all and a central defence with no proper cover beyond Dawson and Kaboul and his refusal to use any sort of squad rotation in my opinion cost us 3rd place last season.

The club is at a massive crossroads and we could go either way, make a good appointment for our next manager and with a few good signings then we could be challenging near the top for years to come, make a bad appointment and if we lose any two of VDV, Modric or Bale then we could well fall back into mid table mediocrity like we had to suffer through the 90's and early 00's. Levy is going to have to make the biggest decision he has had to make since taking over and I just hope he makes the right one.

We'll just have to see what happens. Personally I like Redknapp and fact is he's led the team to league positions we haven't been in for a long long time. He still has his failings as you say and I can see why Levy is wary but I think that if we keep on getting itchy feet every 3-4 years we'll never actually move on as a club.

We finished 5th two seasons in a row with Jol in charge and in one of those seasons we only missed out on 4th on the last game of the season. So Harry has only really pushed us up by one place with a far better squad than the one Jol had.

I disgaree, the competition for 4th last season was much more tougher than it was then, what with Man City striking oil and the form of Newcastle, that Jol side of a few years ago wouldn't have even had a sniff of 4th place. The only reason why Spurs aren't in the Champions League is because Chelsea had the devil on their side during the semi's and final, it was a freak occurence that will never happen again, you can't blame Redknapp for that. Although i know the fans must be disappointed, i would be if Liverpool got 4th only to end up in the Europa League, getting rid of Redknapp would be two steps backwards rather than a step forward.

I disgaree, the competition for 4th last season was much more tougher than it was then, what with Man City striking oil and the form of Newcastle, that Jol side of a few years ago wouldn't have even had a sniff of 4th place. The only reason why Spurs aren't in the Champions League is because Chelsea had the devil on their side during the semi's and final, it was a freak occurence that will never happen again, you can't blame Redknapp for that. Although i know the fans must be disappointed, i would be if Liverpool got 4th only to end up in the Europa League, getting rid of Redknapp would be two steps backwards rather than a step forward.

Great post here.

Yeah we lost a 10 point lead to end up getting fourth, but to get that lead in the first place you have to praise Redknapp, never before have when actually challenged for the Prem League title.

Bad transfers and lack of rotation mucked up our second half of the season, but as Danny Boy says, the Chelsea win was a freak occurrence, we still finished fourth!

No, a freak ocurrence was finishing behind that terrible Arsenal team. Spurs are better in every department (well, bar RVP) but bottled it, as usual.

Admittedly I'm not a supporter but I'd certainly class myself as a 'sympathiser' and I'd love to see Spurs fulfil their potential - they're not going to go any further under Redknapp. It may just be paper talk but I honestly think Moyes would be a great appointment. The squad definitely needs bolstering and I don't think Redknapp is the man to do it.

But to counter this, the team that almost finished 4th under Jol was pretty awful compared to what we have now. Apart from a King who at this time was at his peak and before all his injuries not one player that played in the 2004/2005 season would get in the current team.

But to counter this, the team that almost finished 4th under Jol was pretty awful compared to what we have now. Apart from King who at this time was at his peak and before all his injuries not one player that played in the 2004/2005 season would get in the current team.

Could drop Defoe, move Bale up and play BAE in the wingback role. Lennon is an option off the bench for VDV, or could employ Sandro in place of Defoe and use a 3-5-2 formation - ala the Italians with Modric in that Pirlo role.

I don't know if it would be wise to play a system with only two wide players, when your main threat for the last few years has been pace down the flanks. If Bale ends up being sold then fair enough. Martinez didn't use the 3-4-3 because it's integral to his philosophy, but because he was experimenting with an unsettled and fairly mediocre group of players. I don't see him as someone who has any preference for one system or the other; if he does end up moving to a big club, then he'll use whatever formation makes the best use of the squad available. I think he'd be great for Spurs though, much better than Redknapp in the long run for sure.

He adapts yes, that is one of his strengths. But the 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 is a rising force in football at the moment (Juventus, Udinese, Italy, Chile), especially because it does well against the dominant 4-3-3 that Mourinho used. Martinez knew this and is one of the managers who has proven he can make it work.

Have a read of this http://www.zonalmark...witch-to-3-4-3/

Posted in the football thread a while back. It's what inspired me to think how it would work at Spurs.

It actually grants you even more width, it allows you to outnumber the opposition all over the pitch while maintaining that strong defensive core. I also think it would better suit Bale, forcing him to stay wide and really exploiting his pace and stamina. Likewise it eliminates the need to play an ineffective Lennon purely because he adds width allowing Walker to take up the role. Our centrebacks (assuming we get Vertonghen although Kaboul will do) are also quite flexible, Gallas, Vertonghen and Kaboul all have experience playing in fullback positions as well as centre back, can get forward and cross it as well. I think it could take some of the pressure off an ageing (and tiring) Scott Parker as the two wide centrebacks move into midfield - Parker fell apart by the end of the season. While in a 3-5-2 Modric will adore the space he has - just look at what Pirlo was doing against Spain. And finally van der Vaart will be able to drift about knowing the system moves players to where they're needed, eliminating his defensive duties and allowing him to play in the Trequartista role we need him in.

And as a final thought - if Modric goes I think Huddlestone will also do well in a Pirlo role. He lacks the dribbling skills but his passing is still excellent. Assuming he ever gets fit again.

What do you really see in Moyes that would work? I love him but christ knows what he gets up to pre season that troubles the team for the first 4 months of the season, plus his tactics have been pretty poor when up against even average opposition in Europe. Or Liverpool, most of the time. For someone who can undeniably put together a solid team and find a few bargains but not much else I'm often surprised that people think he's suitable and a shoe in for man u or a team that craves a bit of flair combined with success like spurs.

What do you really see in Moyes that would work? I love him but christ knows what he gets up to pre season that troubles the team for the first 4 months of the season, plus his tactics have been pretty poor when up against even average opposition in Europe. Or Liverpool, most of the time. For someone who can undeniably put together a solid team and find a few bargains but not much else I'm often surprised that people think he's suitable and a shoe in for man u or a team that craves a bit of flair combined with success like spurs.

Was Redknapp considered a great manager before he joined Spurs? He did a decent (albeit debt-fuelled) job at Portsmouth and admittedly won the FA Cup (beating a grand total of one Premier League team along the way) but his standing is undeniably higher now.

Anyway, you could ask the same question about Redknapp but replace 'first 4 months' with 'last 4 months'. It's time for him to go.