The Spurs Thread

So, are we getting David Villa or Eto'o then? There's been suggestions about a Berbatov/Eto'o swap with Barca.

FEAR US 2009.

David Villa is off to Real Madrid and Eto'o isn't the player he once was before his lengthy knee injury. So to answer your question - neither.

Which team is it that Spurs are replacing in the top 4 next season then? Anyone decided yet?

Should that not be second group of 4 rather than top 4? Ramos needs time to rebuild surely?

David Villa is off to Real Madrid and Eto'o isn't the player he once was before his lengthy knee injury. So to answer your question - neither.

Personally I don't think either would fit into our wage structure, although Villa would be amaze. To fund any of that though we'd probably be selling someone good who we'd be better off keeping anyway, I'd rather see Ramos build on what we've got than rip the team apart and start again. All we need now IMO is a good strong defensively minded midfielder and a new 'keeper to replace or challenge Robbo depending upon if his form picks up again.

Personally I don't think either would fit into our wage structure, although Villa would be amaze. To fund any of that though we'd probably be selling someone good who we'd be better off keeping anyway, I'd rather see Ramos build on what we've got than rip the team apart and start again. All we need now IMO is a good strong defensively minded midfielder and a new 'keeper to replace or challenge Robbo depending upon if his form picks up again.

You needed a genuine a midfield playmaker and you really do have that with Modric. He'll possibly start on the left as well so that's your left wing sorted. Jenas, although not a player I rate personally at all, does statistcially make a huge amount of tackles so he's probably safe in the middle. Huddlestone has talent to find an incisive pass but he hasn't really made the progress he should have done so I would be looking for a player to start ahead of him. There's a few Spaniards linked for big fees but I don't know that much about them. Priority no.1 though should be a centerback. Woodgate needs a partner and Dawson has had an awful season & Kaboul is finished at Spurs. It would be a miracle to see King recover but ultimately Spurs need another centerback. Daniel Jarque of Espanyol is a name that just will not go away. Another striker is surely a necessity even if Bent stays. It would be interesting to see if Paul Robinson can get his form back if he trusts his back four again and they trust him.

King is being rested so that he can be properly ready, so I think he'll be back in a good way for next season. The poor guy has had such a lot of problems over the past two years but whenever he's on the pitch he gives us such a big difference its unreal. Whilst Daws has had a pretty bad season at times he has the ability, but after this season's injury troubles I suppose it would be nice to have some more backup there.

Its possible we may be looking for Pekhart to come out of our youth team to fill the strikers depending upon how Ramos feels about him, and I'd much rather we got someone younger to fill out the places rather than buy expensive again. Of course that's all dependant upon if Berba stays or not, if he goes then we'll need to spend a lot to replace him.

Edit: Also I'm really hoping we get whoever we're after quickly this time around, as we need a good pre season to get us set right and give Ramos the time to whip the new signings into shape.

• 4 weeks later...

Well now chaps, busy busy busy in the market it would seem! We've signed Bostock (although we still need to sort out the compensation for Palace apparently), Dunne seems to be coming soon as does Capel, and the rumours about Dos Santos won't go away either, so perhaps we're close there too! There also seems to be very little talk over Berbatov, I've seen a story linking him with Barca but I don't see him fitting there myself, so perhaps we'll manage to keep hold of him after all.

Still having problems securing a new 'keeps though it would seem, with Hugo Lloris going to Lyon rather than us this week. It does however add to the prospect of Coupet leaving, with us being interested apparently. Its too bad Sunderland stayed up really, as Gordon would have been a good buy for us there I think.

• 2 weeks later...
Old Modric looks class...

Looking forward to next season, but we do need a centre back as there's no way king will ever play more than 10-15 matches a season

I don't think he's going to have nearly as many problems now. Sure he's been out for ages, but it's been a lot of bad luck and rushed recoveries that have done it to him IMO. This time around he's had a lot of time to recover his strength, and its obvious that Ramos has seen this gradual rehab as more important which is a good thing.

That's not saying we don't need a new CB as cover, as we've not really got any decent cover bar Dawson and (if he stays) Kaboul, although I think he'd be better as DM. Its been reported we were looking at Dunne, although I wasn't overly keen. After us getting Modric and Dos Santos though I've got a lot of confidence in Ramos and his skills in the market, he seems to be a lot more involved and aware of what we need.

• 1 month later...
dimifag276.jpg

So do we think United will match our valuation? And who would you like to see replace him if he were to leave?

I think right now we're at an impasse with the Mancs. They want to try an squeeze us, but Levy doesn't seem to give a shit about selling him (or Keane). He won't leave for under £30mil, and I don't think ManU want to pay that amount for him. I'd imagine if we don't sell him before the end of July he won't be going anywhere though, Ramos and the coaching staff need the time to evaluate and improve any new signing's fitness.

I'm sure I read t'other day that terms had been agreed, and that there was just the fee to be negociated. Seems from what Levy was saying that they aren't selling at all.

I dunno, maybe I read it in La Marca! :)

I'm sure I read t'other day that terms had been agreed, and that there was just the fee to be negociated. Seems from what Levy was saying that they aren't selling at all.

I dunno, maybe I read it in La Marca! :)

To be honest I've been reading what you have, it's just nice to see some balls from a supposed selling club!

Levy is just trying to save face. Ramos is on record saying he needs to balance the books in regard to transfers and expenditure.

You know fuck all! Levy obviously has more responsibility for the club's finances!

You know fuck all! Levy obviously has more responsibility for the club's finances!

Don't be an idiot. A manager just can't spend what he wants. Ramos has to balance his purchases with sales by the look of things. Perhaps further moves in the transfer market need to be funded by cashing in on two players that want to leave?

I think 16 million for Bent last season destroyed many hopes of keeping all of your star strikers while strenghening other areas like midfield and defence and still balancing the books this season.

What do you guys think of him?

The purchases of Capel and Bentley will probably cost around a combined £30+ million. The sales of Tainio, Malbranque etc are obviously not going to cover this hence Ramos needing to balance things out.

Levy is just trying to save face. Ramos is on record saying he needs to balance the books in regard to transfers and expenditure.

No, Ramos is on record as saying that the club will sell if they get an offer thats a massive profit, this has been the clubs way of operating over the last 4 years since Frank A was appointed, buy youngish players that we at worst get our money back on or appreciate in value and can be flogged on.

As for discussing money, hey ain't my club trying to do a part ex-deal involving mediocre goalkeepers for an ok English midfielder as thanks to Juve not completing a deal there's no cash in the kitty.

Theres actualy another reason why you'd sell both Berbatov and RK, asside from being both being 27-28 and liable to depreciate, that is that they can buy their own contracts out in the near future and piss off abroad, the "top clubs" have "agreed" to not work with this rule but then I see that agreement going out the window the first time a top talent becomes available.

RK either been tapped up and your boy has been found out, or your boss has decided he wants to unsettle the 2 teams the bookies fancy may have a remote chance of taking 4th. either way it says a lot about what he feels his chances are of winning the PL, his focus is clearly on consolidating 4th.

Berbatov is expected to go but the players we'd be flogging would cover all the close season expenditure and Berbatov would cover almost all of the deals struck in the winter as well and we flogged Defoe in the winter as well. I really doubt that Keene would have been expected to be flogged at any time and I still expect 3-4 players in once this lot have gone out.

No, Ramos is on record as saying that the club will sell if they get an offer thats a massive profit, this has been the clubs way of operating over the last 4 years since Frank A was appointed, buy youngish players that we at worst get our money back on or appreciate in value and can be flogged on.

As for discussing money, hey ain't my club trying to do a part ex-deal involving mediocre goalkeepers for an ok English midfielder as thanks to Juve not completing a deal there's no cash in the kitty.

Theres actualy another reason why you'd sell both Berbatov and RK, asside from being both being 27-28 and liable to depreciate, that is that they can buy their own contracts out in the near future and piss off abroad, the "top clubs" have "agreed" to not work with this rule but then I see that agreement going out the window the first time a top talent becomes available.

RK either been tapped up and your boy has been found out, or your boss has decided he wants to unsettle the 2 teams the bookies fancy may have a remote chance of taking 4th. either way it says a lot about what he feels his chances are of winning the PL, his focus is clearly on consolidating 4th.

Berbatov is expected to go but the players we'd be flogging would cover all the close season expenditure and Berbatov would cover almost all of the deals struck in the winter as well and we flogged Defoe in the winter as well. I really doubt that Keene would have been expected to be flogged at any time and I still expect 3-4 players in once this lot have gone out.

Eh?

Darren Bent?

Younes Kaboul?

Kevin Prince Boateng?

etc

As for the financial side of things all teams can now see the honeymoon period is over and spending has to be brought into line with rtelevant sales to finance certain moves. It's happening at Liverpool, it's happening at Spurs. Any team that wants to remain solvent in the future is going to have to adhere to this.

As for your dig at Liverpool's transfer methods this summer, if we have had to tighten the purse strings due to work starting on our new 70,000+ seater stadium then I can live with that. :)

As for your dig at Liverpool's transfer methods this summer, if we have had to tighten the purse strings due to work starting on our new 70,000+ seater stadium then I can live with that. :)

Trust me, you can't live with it. I'm a Gooner and I'm cheesed off with our lack of spending over the last 6 years!

Trust me, you can't live with it. I'm a Gooner and I'm cheesed off with our lack of spending over the last 6 years!

It's the opposite for me. I'm very happy that we now have some sort of Academy system that actually works and I can see several youngsters already looking good to be integrated into the first team squad. It's a long, long time since we've had any young talent come through. If this is the way we have to work to stay solvent in years to come then so be it.

It's the opposite for me. I'm very happy that we now have some sort of Academy system that actually works and I can see several youngsters already looking good to be integrated into the first team squad. It's a long, long time since we've had any young talent come through. If this is the way we have to work to stay solvent in years to come then so be it.

I’m very happy about the players coming though but I want to be winning league titles and challenging for league titles. Liverpool are bankrolled by some wealthy Americans so they might not suffer with lack of transfer funds like we have.

I’m sure Wenger is able to go out and sign who he likes, but he’s obviously got a budget that’s not quite as big as the media thinks it is.