The Spurs Thread

6 hours ago, Jammy said:

I can’t work out why they can be so bad in the first half and so much better in the second. Is this some sort of tactic, to conserve energy and wear teams out and then hit them in the second half ? Football rope-a-dope ?

This has been in discussion for a few weeks now, and the more it's talked about the more I sort of believe it.   I mean, the system works well assuming the defence is perfect in the first half and we don't concede.  However, it's incredibly boring & tense to watch, and when we do concede then we're risking a hell of a lot.  

Conte 3D Chess?  I suppose we'll find out more after the World Cup and towards the latter part of the season.

Our defence is near where near good enough to play this way, and yes it’s fucking boring to watch and I can barely muster any enthusiasm to watch us anymore unless it’s a Sunday game on Sky, which even then I don’t finish watching as I switch over the the NFL at 6pm.

17 minutes ago, SaintAnselm said:

Our defence is near where near good enough to play this way, and yes it’s fucking boring to watch and I can barely muster any enthusiasm to watch us anymore unless it’s a Sunday game on Sky, which even then I don’t finish watching as I switch over the the NFL at 6pm.

Agreed - if we’re that passive against teams like Napoli we’ll get ripped to shreds in the first half and not be able to recover.

I might start just watching second halves.

Ive read a load of stuff about players fitness levels having not recovered as expected, players not wanting to miss the World Cup etc etc and there has been a different style compared to the back end of last season so something is causing it.

I dont think Conte has become a bad manager, player injuries and form are having an effect and we are in a stately decent position in the league - maybe the master plan kicks in after Crimbo….

45 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Better performance than the half dead team put out looked like getting, when Liverpool are time wasting and holding on against that team then there may be hope with players coming back - great to see Kulusevski back. 

Dier first half as always :( 

Bizarrely only 4 mins added on as well. 

1 hour ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Bizarrely only 4 mins added on as well. 

Ref and VAR were appalling, 2 penalty shouts that have been given against us and one looked worse than the one Man City got. Funny how Dier (I think gave a foul away for a high boot about a week away from the Scally player but Moura can have a boot graze his face in the box and not a foul…. Twitter mathematicians gave 6 min + 4 for time wasting by the keeper, seems they lost their calculator…

But, again, shit result but positive performance with that squad.

Well that was fucking dreadful. 

At least we don’t have to get our hopes up only to be beaten by Chelsea again in the Semi’s. LOL.

We lose at the weekend and I recon we will have Poch back in by the time we return from the World Cup. 

Conte ball just doesn’t work with this bunch of losers.

On 10/11/2022 at 02:15, Shimmyhill said:

We binned that off, for once I dont blame Conte - we have more than half the squad going away for the murder ball cup and could do with a decent result at the weekend to carry us into the Jan window….

Yeah with many of the most important players having an excellent chance to go deep into the World Cup I'd rather not be playing another round of League Cup fixtures 2 days after the WC finishes. 

If you manage to get to the final of that cup then that means there are an additional 3 games to play in January - no thanks, I'm glad we binned it but there was no need to play Kane or Dier.

Conte will be here after the WC even if we get smashed by Leeds, but the fans are really starting to lose belief now regardless of current standings in both league and CL... The clock is ticking for him I think.   

6 hours ago, meatbin said:

If you manage to get to the final of that cup then that means there are an additional 3 games to play in January - no thanks, I'm glad we binned it but there was no need to play Kane or Dier.

Conte will be here after the WC even if we get smashed by Leeds, but the fans are really starting to lose belief now regardless of current standings in both league and CL... The clock is ticking for him I think.   

I would happily see him leave to be honest, I just want to enjoy watching us play again, win lose or draw.

• 4 weeks later...

Bitter sweet that last night. (The Kane / Loris situation I mean).

As a positive, Kane, Son and Richarlason will all be back earlier to train than expected.

Having those three and Kula fit will have a massive impact on the second half of the season, especially if Bentacur can get back sooner rather than later. 

can’t wait to see who we end up buying in Jan now to really push us on. 

He’s either going into full on sulk mode (like he did with the Man City transfer debacle) and he won’t get back in the groove for a few months, or he’ll come out fighting.

I’d love to see him in an CAM role with Richi up front and Kula / Son on the flanks. 

Hopefully Kane will be back and strong - he gave a TV interview after the game, which I didn't think he'd do to be honest, seemed fairly solid. 

Just got to ride out the short term bullshit of wankers with very short term memory issue and that don't really understand football and just tune in for the internationals.

1st penalty - Has to be Kane - YES, he scores - we are back in it - "never in doubt" says the commentary team

2nd penalty - Has to be Kane - Misses - he's the sole reason we lost

Can't rely on penalties to win a match or a tournament, got to be able to score a regular goal as a team

Im happy most of our players are injury free, any twat making comments about Kane missing a penalty should look at themselves and ask why the fuck England were there in the frost place or why the tournament was anything more than a joke at the bidding stage….

Rant over

• 2 weeks later...

Something not right here. Either the most of the team have given up on Conte, or Conte just doesn't give a damn anymore.

Eitherway we know how this ends, Conte won't see this season out.