The Spurs Thread

52 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Honestly mate, you sound like an AFTV fan… 

I know. I'm not usually this reactionary but I think it's been what 18 months (maybe longer) since you could watch a spurs game and be entertained by it for anything other than fleeting moments of individual brilliance.

I'd just like us to play with a bit of style! 

We do have players capable of it and some of the dead wood has been booted out at last. Just feels like every time I watch I then end up regretting it! 

The highs of the mid poch era or the bale glory days all seem miles away now. 😔

I'll try to be more positive... COYS! 

I'm a bit pissed that we are starting a good sample of our 'best 11'.  We'll run Kane into the ground if we're playing him in these games.

I really wish Nuno would have some balls and play the kids/B team - who really cares about this competition, aside from Levy & match revenue demands?

We're never going to make top 4 with this squad playing thursday nights, we need to focus on the league.

15 hours ago, meatbin said:

I'm a bit pissed that we are starting a good sample of our 'best 11'.  We'll run Kane into the ground if we're playing him in these games.

I really wish Nuno would have some balls and play the kids/B team - who really cares about this competition, aside from Levy & match revenue demands?

We're never going to make top 4 with this squad playing thursday nights, we need to focus on the league.

We won't make top with this squad regardless - it's not good enough. 

Also Doherty was really bad. I'm still yet to see a good performance from him - but hopefully he'll only be used as a back up. 

Against Chelsea we traditionally lose but we usually put in a performance. Let's see. Injuries are piling up which does give Nuno a bit of leeway. I'm worried Son will be rushed back. 

25 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

So....this isn't going well is it. 

I dunno, played ok first half and then couldn’t compete with one of the best teams in the league - I’m not too down on this one, 3 points from Chelsea and City is a decent return - Palace is the worry and if we dont beat a terrible Arsenal side then we can start to worry….

38 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I dunno, played ok first half and then couldn’t compete with one of the best teams in the league - I’m not too down on this one, 3 points from Chelsea and City is a decent return - Palace is the worry and if we dont beat a terrible Arsenal side then we can start to worry….

Arsenal are absolutely ripe for the taking. Just a bit worried that the goals aren't coming. 

First half we were fairly decent, but slightly blunt.  I think Chelsea went up a few gears in the second half, and the difference in quality showed.

Now we have most of our players back, we've got to give Nuno a bit more time.     Agree Kane looks either unfit, or just completely uninspired - the fact we don't have a proper backup is shocking tbh.

To me it's clear that Nuno is still figuring out ideal system for the players, and I think that could take a few months.

20 minutes ago, meatbin said:

First half we were fairly decent, but slightly blunt.  I think Chelsea went up a few gears in the second half, and the difference in quality showed.

Now we have most of our players back, we've got to give Nuno a bit more time.     Agree Kane looks either unfit, or just completely uninspired - the fact we don't have a proper backup is shocking tbh.

To me it's clear that Nuno is still figuring out ideal system for the players, and I think that could take a few months.

Kane looks like he is completely disinterested. Nuno has 2 games left to convince me. Looking at virtually all of the stats it doesn't inspire confidence. 

He hasn't been helped by some circumstances (the Kane saga, injuries and the international break fiasco) but I still think he is a negative manager.

He said yesterday it was "a good game" - name another top manager who says that after a 3-0 defeat to a rival? It reminds me most of Moyes at United or even Hodgson at Liverpool. Managers who can't believe their luck at where they've ended up.

2 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Kane looks like he is completely disinterested. Nuno has 2 games left to convince me. Looking at virtually all of the stats it doesn't inspire confidence. 

He hasn't been helped by some circumstances (the Kane saga, injuries and the international break fiasco) but I still think he is a negative manager.

He said yesterday it was "a good game" - name another top manager who says that after a 3-0 defeat to a rival? It reminds me most of Moyes at United or even Hodgson at Liverpool. Managers who can't believe their luck at where they've ended up.

So you get rid of Nuno and get who?  Wasn’t that how you ended up with him in the first place pretty much?

10 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

So you get rid of Nuno and get who?  Wasn’t that how you ended up with him in the first place pretty much?

I honestly don't know. I don't think we were any worse under Ryan Mason though - and presumably he was way cheaper to employ. Nuno was a panic appointment. Maybe it will come good. His Wolves team set the league on fire last season with 36 goals after all. 

I was encouraged by the first half, but with Kane looking disinterested and a few players lacking quality with the final ball we failed to capitalise on taking the game to Chelsea. Then the team got caught by two gifted goals and the mental fragility returned. I hope Nuno persists with the players that started the game, because they’ll roll a lot of teams over playing that way. I’d drop Kane if we had anyone else though - he needs to remember what position he plays and actually show some desire to play.

6 minutes ago, Jammy said:

I was encouraged by the first half, but with Kane looking disinterested and a few players lacking quality with the final ball we failed to capitalise on taking the game to Chelsea. Then the team got caught by two gifted goals and the mental fragility returned. I hope Nuno persists with the players that started the game, because they’ll roll a lot of teams over playing that way. I’d drop Kane if we had anyone else though - he needs to remember what position he plays and actually show some desire to play.

We could play Son up front. I agree this lineup is probably the best we can pick at the moment though - maybe put moura in for Lo Celso? I'm not convinced Lo Celso is actually any good. Plus he seems to be injured a lot. 

7 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

We could play Son up front. I agree this lineup is probably the best we can pick at the moment though - maybe put moura in for Lo Celso? I'm not convinced Lo Celso is actually any good. Plus he seems to be injured a lot. 

Lo Celso just doesn’t seem the right fit for us. Either that or no-one has figured out his best position yet. He plays well enough for Argentina…

Kane needs to keep out of the midfield and actually be in the box for a start.

5 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

The silver lining is Nuno will be gone soon. 

When Martin Tyler pulls the NoNo gag out of his repotoire you know it’s bad!  Also it’s just possible those fans leaving on the edge of half time were going to the bar.

No fan wants to see this but then no fan wanted Nuno so its hard to be that bothered about him going asap - what makes this actually difficult is Arsenal are shite, winning the league at our place was difficult but losing this badly to such an ordinary team is torture.

Should’ve sold Kane in the summer. Hojbjerg is too reactive - too much time screening the CBs when he needs to get in there and scrap for the ball in midfield. Dele runs a lot but doesn’t so much. A directionless mess. No idea why Romero, Gil and Royal weren’t starting.

9 minutes ago, Jammy said:

Should’ve sold Kane in the summer. Hojbjerg is too reactive - too much time screening the CBs when he needs to get in there and scrap for the ball in midfield. Dele runs a lot but doesn’t so much. A directionless mess. No idea why Romero, Gil and Royal weren’t starting.

It was all part of Nuno's plan. Which he then said wasn't actually a good plan. The guy is clueless. All the stats put us in relegation form. I think we'd be better with Charlie Kane as manager. At least he's probably spent a long time playing football manager while he waits for new clients to phone him...

22 minutes ago, redbloodcel said:

After yesterday you really have to question what's going on, absolutely no urgency or drive from the players to compete at all. Think Nuno has lost them all already. 

He never had them. He's a sad, negative man. Out of his depth. Never understood this 'likeable' thing - I think he's bloody useless. We would honestly get more points if we hired Big Sam. And probably play slightly better football. 

Next prem games are Villa, Newcastle, West Ham, Burley, Man U.

I think he'll get a chance to play those games, if he doesn't win at least three of those then I think he'll be gone.

Mason until we find someone else then I suppose.  Do we start talking about Conte again now?