The Spurs Thread

Nah, I think the disaster is only in the minds of the media and the fans that have swallowed the media's rubbish hook, line and sinker.  Sure, Harry wants to leave, he clearly was saying his goodbyes in the last home game of the season way back in May, but I don't believe for a second he is blatantly refusing to come back to Spurs, especially as everyone has assumed he was supposed to be back last Monday based on others coming back on Monday.

Some of the absolute bollocks from supposed "fans" making out that he's supposedly betrayed the club by engineering a move to an English club (conveniently forgetting about Kyle Walker, Berbetov, Carrick, Sheringham, etc. who all did the same but are all lauded) amazes me, in particular as Harry has clearly been our best player for years now (top scorer).

I don't begrudge him for wanting to go and actually win something with a "top" club like Man City, the reality is that Spurs haven't won anything of note since the 1991 FA Cup final (those two League Cups don't count, and they were yeeeeears ago) and with Levy at the helm he's clearly been messed around for a while now, I would also question if Spurs have the attitude to win anything too.  Look at the last few seasons, he's blatantly been doing his part while the rest of the team (sans maybe Son, Lloris) play like it's a joke.  The man won the flaming Premier League Golden Boot last season and we still finished fucking 7th!  He was a World Cup Golden Boot winner in 2018.  Scored 4 in Euro 2020 (in 2021).  Lots of people keep going on about Kane not scoring in the Champions League final - yes he looked poor but he was clearly unfit, and in the actual match who conceded the penalty after 23 seconds?

So good luck Harry, if you manage to get a transfer.  If not, then the fact is that he has 3 years left on his contract so I'm sure he'll continue to show Spurs why Levy needs to get his head out of his arse and fucking dump the shitty players who are holding the club back, stop buying alternate "cheaper" (i.e. shittier) players, and actually buy proper decent players (like maybe an entire back line for a start) so that we can get into the Champions League next year.

On 08/08/2021 at 14:02, Stoppy2000 said:

Ndombele not in the squad again. Time to get rid. Complete waste of money. 

Confirmed now that he isn't injured. Seriously one of those players who isn't worth the hassle. 

Kane is signing another deal?

In other spurs related news and opinions offered by fan of another team..i think Dele will do well this season if he's given consistent games. I'm not sure what makes him incapable of playing consistently. If he has a bad game occassionly so what? It happens to every top player. Scoring 18 goals in your second premier league season (a sum Son has never reached in 6 seasons despite how brilliant he is) is not nothing. If Kane leaves i think Dele will take that behind the striker/no.10 role behind Son and will flourish. You could see him roaming into space as Son found him in the Arsenal game. I don't think Nuno has an all consuming irrational hatred for him so i'm optimistic. Dele can produce moments of skill in terms of shots few can really, his outside of the foot chip against Arsenal that he took in his stride was amazing and i don't think that's disappeared from his game. I think if you play him high up the pitch enough you'll see chances and goals from him enough to justify his place.

the 2016/17 season...61 goals from Son, Kane, Dele in the league alone. 78 all comps.

Another thing...Mourinho said he is a lousy trainer. Hazard was, Aguero was. Many others were/are. Seeing Dele in moments recently i have missed seeing what he might do each weekend. I hardly watch spurs enough to say, but Eriksen was the creator and Dele can't really perform like that, and maybe with Kane mostly having that deep striker provider role it leaves no place for Dele except wide where he has trickery but not really the pace. I don't know. Seemed like Mourinho relied entirely on Kane and Son to score which isn't healthy for a team.

Whilst that’s all true, Dele’s form had already disappeared the season we got to the CL Final. I think he and Trippier both played that 2018/19 season carrying injuries from the World Cup. 

5 hours ago, Jammy said:

Whilst that’s all true, Dele’s form had already disappeared the season we got to the CL Final. I think he and Trippier both played that 2018/19 season carrying injuries from the World Cup. 

Yeah I'm not saying he was as good towards the end of Pochettino's time there. I suppose i just don't understand how the top level of football can fail to find a place for evidently skilled players, whether it be Dele or Isco or Eriksen (before he found his place in the Inter team) or Ozil. Fans of each of these players teams will provide a long list of their failings - poor passes, not beating their man, not tracking back, total lack of confidence, whatever. It's that they end up not playing at all that gets me, and for years. And the assumption is always that they're not applying themselves or trying hard enough.

Dele said recently:

“I want to make this year one of the best I have had,” Alli told Goal in July. “A lot of people have said I need to find the form I was in a few years ago. For me, I don’t even want to get to that, I want to go past that and reach my full potential to be the best player I can be.

“It has been a tough few years but I have been working hard and analysing what I need to do to get better. I have been training a lot on most days of my holiday. I didn’t feel I needed much rest, so it is just training the whole way through.

“Everyone is looking for that extra few per cent, so you have to keep up. I am feeling good and the best I have felt in a long time.”

They've all done things with the ball few players in the world would think of doing or could do. It's a shame. And fans don't seem to care because football isn't about individual expression, flair or creativity but fighting a battle and it's 90 minutes of toil. I don't know, I'd like to see an in depth analysis of exactly Dele was doing at 20 that's he's not doing at 25.

In the Arsenal game he hit the post twice and tracked back to intercept a pass, nutmegged a player, a few accurate balls forward and had another high shot from a corner. He still looks like someone low on confidence, who after every miss gives a look like everything is against him. But it's bizarre, this is a player who was a sensation, who the media (however correctly) linked him with Real Madrid and in interviews he always seemed unbothered by the attention, he's always seemed level headed. 

10 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

I'd like to see an in depth analysis of exactly Dele was doing at 20 that's he's not doing at 25.

Why? He obviously has and, by his own admission in the quote you posted, he had things to work on. 

Plus, and I think this is the big thing - we don't see these players in training every day. We don't know how they are working within the systems managers want to play, or if the effort is there. We just see them do some good things once in a while and bemoan their lack of game time, we just see that side of the equation and not the behind the scenes stuff. 

I don't think doing well in a friendly (even if it was against Arsenal) really tells you anything, either. Nobody is giving it 100% in those matches.

45 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Why? He obviously has and, by his own admission in the quote you posted, he had things to work on. 

The quote is to show he cares, not that he doesn't recognise there's improvements because all players will feel like that.

I want to know more about the specifics of football in terms of individual players and their game as opposed to overall tactics of a match. I'm writing all these words to say; i like watching this player, he's barely played for 3 years. Of course i want to know why. 

Players will say 'in a few training sessions Guardiola has transformed my understanding of football' then when pushed by the interviewer can't really expand on it or think the audience will find it boring. There was one where Walker was saying it was a simple thing Pep would always stress, of receiving on his weaker foot so he takes one less touch in moving the ball on. Minor adjustments in positioning i want to know about. I just don't write players off as easily as others obsessed by new signings. 

Plus, and I think this is the big thing - we don't see these players in training every day. We don't know how they are working within the systems managers want to play, or if the effort is there. We just see them do some good things once in a while and bemoan their lack of game time, we just see that side of the equation and not the behind the scenes stuff. 

Yeah i already addressed that, Dele might just not inherently be a terrier of a player who plays like his life depends on it all the time, not in training, many others aren't. He's classier than that, wants to slow down to nutmeg a player. 

I don't think doing well in a friendly (even if it was against Arsenal) really tells you anything, either. Nobody is giving it 100% in those matches.

It doesn't show Dele is a world beater, but i think it still shows that he has a knack for getting chances in the box. If Spurs and fans are writing him off, maybe just sell him. 

Personally I enjoy watching Spurs more when Dele is in the team, in his early seasons, his cheekiness, his nasty streak - which sadly seems to have been trained out of him, was a huge part of why Spurs were so good for 3-4 seasons.  

Sadly though I just don’t think he fits in the team anymore and has someone has previously stated, Kane playing a lot deeper these days may have something to do with it,  Son becoming a far more prominent player has also made his position in the team far less important and Spurs simply don’t play the same way they did in Poch’s golden period.

@Loik V credernI get that, but you're hardly ever going to get much detail as to why somebody plays. As addressed by @SaintAnselmand others in this thread (and in my post), Alli doesn't really fit into the current way that they play. He may well be good, but some players just don't work as well in different systems - I think Alli was tried in a more central midfield role for a bit wasn't he, and just looked lost as he didn't have the discipline for the position.

There were obviously murmurs about his attitude too and they may or may not be true, but it feels like he is very good at a very specific role, but that role very much needs to be built around for him to work to his best ability. 

I actually think he is a really good player and it's a shame he fell off a cliff. Hopefully he can get his form and game back, if not at Tottenham then somewhere else. I guess we'll see if Nuno has a role for him soon enough. 

What we thinking today then? I'll be happy if we just attempt to play football instead of the dross we suffered last season (for part of it). Even beating city last season wasn't really a win to savour. 

Will Kane play? Will Ndombele ever be seen again? Will pep ever admit that Man City are spending a lot of money? 

They looked so much fitter in the final 15 minutes. I mentioned the training and what seemed like lack of conditioning last season, as Mourinho had also left the Man Utd players in a poor state of fitness (Ole complained about it). They looked very sharp, and it was a great performance.

9 minutes ago, meatbin said:

Wow.

Feels like we've gone back to Poch's Spurs, that was brilliant to watch.  The Mourinho time really was wretched.

He's a shit manager, ruined United, then done the same to you lot, was worth paying him off to be shot of him, Nuno seems to have hit the ground running.

Would have taken a draw before the game, so the three points is awesome.  

Tanganga and Moura were excellent, but for me Skipp and ‘Berg in midfield were the difference. 

Great start to an important season. 

51 minutes ago, SimonG said:

Tanganga and Moura were excellent, but for me Skipp and ‘Berg in midfield were the difference.

Super performance, well deserved win. Hojbjerg was phenomenal.

‘Berg was back to his brilliant self.  

He looked jaded at the end of last season, but then again so would you having to pick the mess up from Wanks and Moussa.

hopefully Skipp can become a permanent feature and let Berg play more up the files like he did for His country in the Euros. 

I’m disappointed that Ndombele wants out - I think he’ll he an amazing player for someone, but maybe not cut out for the EPL. Has the potential and robustness to be a Dembele type player.

9 hours ago, Jammy said:

I’m disappointed that Ndombele wants out - I think he’ll he an amazing player for someone, but maybe not cut out for the EPL. Has the potential and robustness to be a Dembele type player.

Some players just don't settle in a different country. It just looks like we'll be better off getting rid ASAP. It's a shame because he has had the odd game where he looks really good. 

Hate to see Ndombele go, but it's just not worked out for him has it.    Incredible talent and a great player in there somewhere, but his price tag and high wages mean we'd be better off with someone who can really add something to the team.