The Spurs Thread

Gazzaniga? He's average at best, plus if Poch ends up at Barcelona he'll definitely sign him!

Personally I think this will end up a good deal for everyone. You need 3 GKs these days and so ex-international keeper, for free, relatively cheap wages, homegrown, who has won things and has something to prove kind of ticks quite a few boxes. 

27 minutes ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Gazzaniga? He's average at best, plus if Poch ends up at Barcelona he'll definitely sign him!

Personally I think this will end up a good deal for everyone. You need 3 GKs these days and so ex-international keeper, for free, relatively cheap wages, homegrown, who has won things and has something to prove kind of ticks quite a few boxes. 

Importantly he doesn't tick the 'good goalkeeper' box though...

Yeah he won't play and counts as home grown so I suppose it makes some sort of sense. Just don't like the guy. Be weird seeing him in a spurs kit. Maybe he'll have a late career run of good form. 

1 hour ago, meatbin said:

Another reason I think he's being brought in is to be 'leader in the dressing room'.

That’s why he’s here now, if we had more leaders back in Poch’s days, we may have actually won a thing or two.

I can see why Mourinho has gone for him - still relatively young for what he does, formerly a big name with something to prove, has won titles & been a leader, and you could say the same about Joe Hart too ;)

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Doherty then? Seems a good signing - he must be less prone to error then Aurier surely? A new centre back and then our squad is looking reasonable. Slightly optimistic....

We won’t be buying a centre back, we already have 5 as it is and if we play 3 at the back this season , Davies counts as another one too.

We do need a a decent back up for Kane though, but apart from that, I can’t see us buying anyone else now.

The Amazon Prime series has all the right ingredients to be great, however it's very over produced and over scored, like all TV now. It feels like you are constantly watching a trailer, it never settles down.

No wonder Tom Hardy was attracted to doing it, the music's like a fucking Christopher Nolan film

I would have liked to have seen more of Pochettino and his team’s efforts to get the team playing well again, and the dressing room during that period.

Enjoying it so far though - Mourinho comes across well, as do Aurier, Son, Toby and Super Jan. Dele seems not to take things seriously enough, which may have been the problem with his game for the last season or two. England’s Harry Kane swears a lot more than I thought he would, and is more outspoken than I thought he would be. 

10 hours ago, Jammy said:

Dele seems not to take things seriously enough, which may have been the problem with his game for the last season or two. England’s Harry Kane swears a lot more than I thought he would, and is more outspoken than I thought he would be. 

Dele is exactly as I'd have thought, and it's funny how much that personality seems to translate on the pitch. The 1-1 with him and Jose and how he's not consistent seemed to sum it all up, and it's what I actually found myself liking about Mourinho watching it. I wasn't really disagreeing with any of his observations, he seemed really fair with most discussions. But I like him, and I very much enjoyed the toothbrush discussions

Harry swearing just felt odd, almost like he doesn't really swear but thinks he should for the team because it's lads and football. 

I actually felt myself feeling much more empathy for Eriksen. It's really fair to want to change jobs. I live in Tottenham too and I don't want to fucking live here right now either so I cannot begrudge him wanting to leave, but I guess for whatever reason he couldn't straight away and only played what Mourinho decided for him. A lot of fans were booing him in the last games I attended with him and I don't know, it feels more complex than that, and a bit unfair. 

Many fans (hashtag not all fans) seem to be idiots anyway: It was somewhat satisfying seeing Jose tell Aurier to attack, and this being on an occasion or two something that led to him scoring goals. We were at a game when he scored, and some moaning old shites* in front of us were just complaining about him running up the side and "what the fuck was he doing trying to attack". It didn't cross their mind that he might have been told to do that by the boss, and they looked pretty stupid after he scored a goal and massively helped the game. So as I say, it's been hugely fascinating to see these behind-the-scenes tactics after games you've actually watched. 

We really enjoyed the Man City documentary, but it's way more fun when its a team you support and you recognise the local shops they keep driving past.

* The kind that probably have season tickets but haven't actually asked themselves in a long time if they actually enjoy the game any more, since they spend the entire 90 mins moaning.

23 minutes ago, cowfields said:

I actually felt myself feeling much more empathy for Eriksen. It's really fair to want to change jobs. I live in Tottenham too and I don't want to fucking live here right now either so I cannot begrudge him wanting to leave, but I guess for whatever reason he couldn't straight away and only played what Mourinho decided for him. A lot of fans were booing him in the last games I attended with him and I don't know, it feels more complex than that, and a bit unfair. 

The problem with Eriksen for me was that he became so inconsistent in the last two seasons he was at the club. There were flashes of the old Eriksen here and there, but he played a lot of games and had nothing like the influence he had done in the past, often being completely anonymous. I think it was the Liverpool away game this last season under Poch where in 94 minutes he didn’t make a single tackle or forward pass, and gave the ball away some ridiculous amount of times. With games like that one becoming the norm (and his largely non-existent performance in the CL final), combined with his talk in the press of wanting to move away, you can see why people thought he’d downed tools. He had a lot of games to put himself properly in the shop window for the big move he wanted, and failed the auditions. Granted, there’s a huge element of the spurned lover within the fan reaction, but the apparent lack of effort soured his relationship with them, and likely put off larger clubs, who want winners, from coming in for him. Managers who were former players, like Zidane and Simeone, who had enormous grit, were very likely put off by that attitude. Modric, for example, put in a proper shift in his last season even though he knew he was going, and got the move he wanted. I don’t blame him for wanting a move, but it was a sad way for him to go after being our best player for so long.

Eriksen was also responsible for some of the most horrendous corner taking I have ever seen. I'm sure he used to be good at it. 

His best contribution in the last year was him being responsible for the city goal in the champions league that was then varred out for maximum hilarity and Pep's head exploding. 

17 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

He’s also barely played for Inter since joining them so maybe he can come back and Inter can have N’dombele.

Hmm I think I would possibly be tempted by that. At least Eriksen was rarely injured!

1 minute ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Hmm I think I would possibly be tempted by that. At least Eriksen was rarely injured!

They would have to give us so money too but yeah even an inconsistent Eriksen is better then nothing witch is what N’Dombele has basically been so far.

8 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Eriksen was also responsible for some of the most horrendous corner taking I have ever seen. I'm sure he used to be good at it. 

His best contribution in the last year was him being responsible for the city goal in the champions league that was then varred out for maximum hilarity and Pep's head exploding. 

While generally true he had a decent hit rate with corners this season, he setup the winner against Wolves for Super Jan in said episode!

He still remains one of the best players I’ve ever seen live, outside of Bale possibly the best so I had more time for him than many of our fans - his highs were so high that even his below par last couple of seasons were better than anyone else in our midfield..... I think the system failed him and not him not playing, the loss of Dembele hit his game the hardest.

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

While generally true he had a decent hit rate with corners this season, he setup the winner against Wolves for Super Jan in said episode!

He still remains one of the best players I’ve ever seen live, outside of Bale possibly the best so I had more time for him than many of our fans - his highs were so high that even his below par last couple of seasons were better than anyone else in our midfield..... I think the system failed him and not him not playing, the loss of Dembele hit his game the hardest.

Dembele leaving was massive. He was key to our play and still hasn't really been replaced. I still like Eriksen for the years he gave us but I do think his last 2 seasons were such a fall from grace. Some games he was truly awful and it undoubtedly ended up costing him a really big move. 

On 02/09/2020 at 09:21, cowfields said:

Harry swearing just felt odd, almost like he doesn't really swear but thinks he should for the team because it's lads and football. 

Yeah sounded like to me like he was deliberately putting it on after Jose had mentioned to his assistant that he lacked passion earlier ("quiet leader"). Like that one kid who suddenly inserts swear words in their sentences randomly.

2 hours ago, Smoothy said:

Yeah sounded like to me like he was deliberately putting it on after Jose had mentioned to his assistant that he lacked passion earlier ("quiet leader"). Like that one kid who suddenly inserts swear words in their sentences randomly.

His “Let’s fucking go and fucking win this fucking game” reminded me of Simon’s dirty talk in The Inbetweeners :)

Watched the next three today. These three were much more interesting I thought. Spoilered because you might want to see them first.

Rose is extremely fiery, Tanganga is quite articulate, Lloris is much more of an inspiring captain than Kane.

Without a decent midfield, even the return of Bale isn’t going to make much difference sadly, maybe N’Dombele will shock us all and start to resemble the player we paid over 50 million for, because frankly the Midfield  player’s we have now - excluding Lo Celso are just not good enough.