The Spurs Thread

2 hours ago, Jammy said:

Good win today - first time we’ve won four in a row at the new stadium !

Maybe we are good after all?! Few players in/out and keeping Kane and Son fit next season and we might be alright...

2 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Maybe we are good after all?! Few players in/out and keeping Kane and Son fit next season and we might be alright...

I was surprised to find that since Mourinho took charge we’ve got the 4th highest points total in the league. It might not be pretty, but it seems to be working. Like you say, new RB, CB, LB and DCM and we’re ready to roll :)

A great DCM signing  has to be our top priory in the off-season as neither Winks or Sissoko are good enough on that position, add a decent right-back and a backup to Kane and I can’t see why we won’t be challenging for the top 4 again.

It sure won’t be pretty and a lot of Spurs fans won’t be happy with the way we play, but we it’s already looking pretty effective.

If we're to get into the Europa League next season we need:

• Wolves to drop points in one or both of their last two games
  • Spurs to win their last game
  • Chelsea to win the FA Cup

Right?  We need to be 6th to guarantee it - if we're 7th we absolutely need Chelsea to win the FA Cup.

6 hours ago, Smoothy said:

If we're to get into the Europa League next season we need:

• Wolves to drop points in one or both of their last two games
  • Spurs to win their last game
  • Chelsea to win the FA Cup

Right?  We need to be 6th to guarantee it - if we're 7th we absolutely need Chelsea to win the FA Cup.

I’d rather not rely on Chelsea for anything, but the FA Cup Final is a real Hobsons Choice regarding who I’d want to win. I suppose a kick in the face is better than a kick in the nuts, so come on you Blues.

I dunno, part of me sees the attraction in not qualifying for Europa. It’s a useful revenue stream for sure, but it probably won’t convince the calibre of player we need to join the club, and at present we don’t have the squad depth not to risk running some of our key players into the ground again. The other part says “It’s a European competition and we’re better off in it than out of it”.

Europa could be good for youth development if Jose was ballsy enough to do so.

Otherwise I can only see Europa contributing to fatigue and injuries - I think I'd rather just concentrate on the league and get back up the table.

29 minutes ago, meatbin said:

Europa could be good for youth development if Jose was ballsy enough to do so.

Otherwise I can only see Europa contributing to fatigue and injuries - I think I'd rather just concentrate on the league and get back up the table.

Agreed - it would be good to get players like Skipp and Parrott gametime, but I don’t think we have enough of those Up-and-comers to be able to leave out certain of our regular XI, which will lead to the scenario you envisage. Plus I don’t think Jose would enter a competition without thinking he can win it.

Gaz

Tang Foyth CB Cirkin

RMF Skipp M M Sess

Parrot

Fair bit of youth talent as it stands.  But as above, four players required from the first team rotation.  Could work I suppose.

Europa League paths:

Now that Wolves have beaten Crystal Palace 2-0, this is the complete breakdown for all three routes for Spurs to still qualify for Europa.

Route 1 - If Wolves lose to Chelsea on the final day of the season, then their GD will be below +13. This means that all we would have to do to get Europa is secure at least a draw against Palace whom are on a seven game losing streak. This will put us above Wolves on GD.

Route 2 - If Wolves draw to Chelsea, then a win in the final game against Palace is required.

Route 3 - If Wolves win/draw against Chelsea/or if Spurs fail to win their final game against Palace, then we require Chelsea to put the Scum to the sword in the FA cup final. (This scenario only works if the Scum do not overtake Spurs in their final two games in the PL)

Basically what this means is that we potentially have to root for Chelsea twice (sucks, I know) as they will have two opportunities to secure Europa for us. Our likeliness to get Europa through Chelsea is strong as they would have to bottle two games completely to screw us over.

Additionally, Liverpool v Chelsea will also be somewhat important for us. If Liverpool win against Chelsea and Man United beat West Ham, then Chelsea's top 4 spot will not be secure by the final game of the season. This means they will have to play a strong lineup against Wolves to make sure they retain the spot. (This is important because if Chelsea secure top 4 before the final day, they quite likely might feature a B team against Wolves so that they can rest their main team for the FA cup final)

Well, it worked.  Chelsea beat Wolves 2-0, but Spurs scraped through with a 1-1 draw with Palace - the same team who lost their last howmanygames.

Now we have 7 weeks to gut this awful team and reshape it properly.

40 points back from Liverpool is pretty shocking. Levy needs to act quickly in the transfer market so we have a chance to integrate new players sooner rather than later. 

And a farewell to Jan Vertonghen. Shame his legs have gone, but he’s been great for Spurs over the years.

12 hours ago, Jammy said:

40 points back from Liverpool is pretty shocking. Levy needs to act quickly in the transfer market so we have a chance to integrate new players sooner rather than later. 

And a farewell to Jan Vertonghen. Shame his legs have gone, but he’s been great for Spurs over the years.

Yeah Jan was top quality for a long while. We better get a new right back. That has to be a priority. Can see us cashing in on Dele. Don't see him fitting in at the moment and if it means resolving the defensive problems then I don't really mind. 

Also Ndombele wasn't even in the squad.. is he injured again?!!! Cut our losses on him. Can't afford to have a player with Sturridge levels of fitness in such a crucial part of the pitch. 

3 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Also Ndombele wasn't even in the squad.. is he injured again?!!! Cut our losses on him. Can't afford to have a player with Sturridge levels of fitness in such a crucial part of the pitch. 

Yeah, injured. He's certainly a worry. 1 full season later and we've barely seen him, and his relationship with Mourino doesn't appear great. 

Not an exact science, but if you extrapolate our points per game under Mourinho to a full 38 games, we’d have got 71/72 points, which was more than enough for CL football. The team achieved 45 points in 24 games, for half of which we had Kane and Son missing, and/or various other players like Lloris and Sissoko with long-term injuries. It may not be pretty, but it seems it was fairly effective.

19 hours ago, Jammy said:

Not an exact science, but if you extrapolate our points per game under Mourinho to a full 38 games, we’d have got 71/72 points, which was more than enough for CL football. The team achieved 45 points in 24 games, for half of which we had Kane and Son missing, and/or various other players like Lloris and Sissoko with long-term injuries. It may not be pretty, but it seems it was fairly effective.

Fingers crossed we can start the new season with this sort of form, and no major injuries.  I think we'll sign 3 players (RB/LB, DM (Holberg), and perhaps a backup striker).  

4 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Inter after Ndombele apparently. I'd let him go - better to cut our losses quickly than let his value plummet following another season of not playing. 

There are a few counter-stories around this evening saying that Spurs are absolutely committed to keeping him for at least one more season to see if he comes good. Makes sense to me - he’s probably worth half what they paid for him after a disaster of a season for him personally, and with Covid knackering everyones’ finances.

• 2 weeks later...

DM signed finally - I haven’t seen much of him, but it’s a position we’ve needed to fill since Dembele and Wanyama broke down. And signed at the beginning of the window !

RB, LB and backup striker next please !