The Spurs Thread

3 hours ago, cowfields said:

Yeah first half was enjoyable to watch. We had a seat near the corner to the right of all the goals scored (goalie's POV) so a great view to see the goals happen and to see, at one point, Mourinho dancing like a crab. 

Second half got messy, I am not sure what they lost, maybe just got a little bored, complacent, I don't know, and it was a really soft goal and without wanting to take away from Middlesbrough felt like Gazzaniga's mistake rather than a great goal. 

The sausage rolls at the stadium are still lovely. 

Gazza could have done better I thought, and Tanganga with more game experience would have committed to the tackle before they let the shot off.

Le Celso and Tanganga have really impressed, positive signs coming, small but positive.

2 hours ago, Jammy said:

I guess in the context of it being an away game, Watford’s new manager bounce, and A FUCKING CLEAN SHEET FOR A CHANGE, a point’s not a bad result.

Especially given that they had a penalty. Not too bad. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Jammy said:

On the face of it, it’s a great three points, a clean sheet and a debut goal for Bergwijn. But man, we rode our luck at times today.

The city shots on goal was something like 14 or so? Spurs had about two or three. I mean it's the ones that went in that count obviously but it does feel like luck to have kept the clean sheet. 

City often had people trying to take a shot in the box and spurs kept getting it nearish the box and then losing the ball somehow.

So I think we were lucky indeed (+ lloris is great) but I guess I was expecting a difficult match and certainly not expecting a win and a clean sheet, so it was a nice feeling afterwards. 

Really enjoyed that game, we were the underdogs for most of the match and when things started to go our way it felt great. 

We were lucky at times, but this result will do wonders for the team confidence. Hopefully this is a start of a good run, we need it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another three points, and without Reina playing out of his skin in goal for Villa we could have won that comfortably.

The defence still concerns me greatly - to me, for the first goal, Toby hesitated for a split second because Hugo started to come for the ball and then retreated. You can see from Toby’s reaction that he thought Lloris was coming to claim. For both the Villa goals, Hugo was off his line in the middle of the six-yard box, and retreated rather than attacking the ball, and both goals were scored from within the six-yard box. Whether he should have claimed them we’ll never know, but starting to come for the ball and then retreating to his goal line definitely contributed to the uncertainty amongst our defenders. 

11 minutes ago, Jammy said:

Another three points, and without Reina playing out of his skin in goal for Villa we could have won that comfortably.

The defence still concerns me greatly - to me, for the first goal, Toby hesitated for a split second because Hugo started to come for the ball and then retreated. You can see from Toby’s reaction that he thought Lloris was coming to claim. For both the Villa goals, Hugo was off his line in the middle of the six-yard box, and retreated rather than attacking the ball, and both goals were scored from within the six-yard box. Whether he should have claimed them we’ll never know, but starting to come for the ball and then retreating to his goal line definitely contributed to the uncertainty amongst our defenders. 

If Son, Moura and Dele weren’t so awful and selfish, we would have scored at least 5.

Yes our defence is fucking terrible at the moment and our midfield seems unable to control the game, but somehow we just keep managing to find wins.  In-fact since Jose took over, only City and Liverpool have achieved more points than us.  If we keep this up, we should quite easily finish 4th, especially as Chelsea are playing terribly at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

They’ve been mostly awful for over a year, the CL run excepted, and that was more about fight than playing brilliantly. But this seems like rock bottom, and even that fight has gone from a lot of the players this season. At least José got them to 40 points - a very expensive Allardyce tribute act though !

If Levy and Lewis really want us at the top table, Lewis is going to have to put his hand in his pocket - we need so many players all of a sudden it’s frightening. Levy gambled by not doing that, and I don’t think he ever imagined that so many of this XI would rush past their ‘sell by’ date at the same time. What’s especially sad is that with shrewd investment a couple or three years ago, we could have really kicked on. If Pochettino had been allowed to buy even just a couple of players in each window from that far back, we’d have already refreshed the positions that we really obviously have serious problems in now. Realistically we now need three new full-backs (assuming Sessegnon steps up), two or three new CBs, two DMs, and a backup striker.

And a tangible gameplan. They look utterly lost at the moment.

My other worry is that even if Enic stump up the cash, I’m not sure I trust José with the money, looking at the state he left Man Utd in after spending half a billion.

Jose has the third best points haul after Liverpool and Man City since he started with us so he has turned the firm around and done a fine job on paper given the state of the squad....

Investment in players is the key and what undid the progress of Poch and we are paying for it in games like Wolves and Norwich where the team are just dead on their feet and enforced rotation is not allowing any new system to be bedded in.

We basically have to write off this season and hope money is available (rumours saying it’s not going to be is a worry) and allow Jose some time with a fit squad before we can properly judge him, I’m not a fan of his but it’s unfair to look at him for any blame as he has us performing above par in the circs :( 

Yup, and to be honest, if we finish outside the CL spots, I actually hope we don’t qualify for the Europa league either. A season with a bit more time between games is probably something our players need right now. 

The players are shot to bits - a 120 minute leg sapper was the last thing they needed as the first of three games in 9 days, especially as the next two are both away against sides that are both physically demanding, albeit in different ways.

That high tempo pressing game was exciting to watch, but I think that Poch changed to a more slow tempo possession style last year because he realised the small ageing player pool he had was starting to struggle with the physical demands. It drained some of the players, and broke our best midfield pairing for years - Wanyama and Dembele.

1 minute ago, Smoothy said:

:doh::doh:

Fuck this shit.

If you load the team with known mistake makers like lloris and aurier it should be no surprise that they keep fucking up. We are shit. We will remain shit until these jokers get fucked off out of the club. 

8 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Good, will show them lot upstairs that without investment the club will never progress - the manager was never the problem....

Zero chance of this. We haven't the financial power to really challenge for the best players. We've been appallingly unlucky with injuries this season. We need aurier gone. Lamela too. Ndombele worries me with his injury record. 

Realistically we need eight or nine players, mostly in defensive roles. No way Levy will finance that without shipping out first, and he tried to sell a few of these in the summer without any interest. Whether Poch had run out of ideas or not, he was dead right about the ‘painful rebuild’.

20 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Good, will show them lot upstairs that without investment the club will never progress - the manager was never the problem....

But your new manager is a massive problem. I know you’re currently decimated with injuries and you need to get new players in a lot of positions, but if Levy won’t fund it, then Mourinho will quickly turn into the petulant idiot he did at United and drag the confidence out of the entire squad.

I’m being genuine when I say I feel really sorry for you lot at the moment. It all looked to be heading in the right direction, but it’s all turned to shit so quickly.

4 hours ago, JPL said:

I’m being genuine when I say I feel really sorry for you lot at the moment. It all looked to be heading in the right direction, but it’s all turned to shit so quickly.

You’re absolutely right @JPL, although I think the writing was on the wall last season. The CL run was a red herring - apart from the Dortmund games we rode our luck and displayed some actual grit. The lack of urgency the team displayed in the final was a mirror of their league form from January 2019 onwards. Levy gambled on this team having a couple more years left in it, with one or two premium players coming in. Pochettino knew that wasn’t going to be enough, and was ignored and subsequently sacked. Not a huge fan of Mourinho, but if he’s Levy’s dream manager, I sincerely hope this season is a wake-up call that he can’t keep underfunding the squad and expecting them to overachieve. The reason so many of them look physically broken is because in key positions they haven’t really had any genuine competition for places or competent backup for the last few years. He needs to provide funds for the rebuild, and get players in early in the window rather than pissing about with this last minute brinkmanship. I can’t see them getting CL this season, so hopefully the loss of those funds will act as a wake-up call.

We've been going backwards for the last 18 months. Fact. 

Don't forget that this is the same Poch side that messed up the first part of the season, albeit with missing players making it a far worse side. 

Need to see out the season, then start selling those who clearly are not bothered, starting with Dele and Lloris. I'd even go as far as cashing in in Kane. 

The few bright sparks are coming from Le Celso, Tanganga and Skipp at the mo. 

Not entirely sure what Mour is supposed to do with the shit that he has to play with right now.   Personally, I'd drop anyone who doesn't bust a gut for the badge, but right now that would be the majority of the first team :(