rllmuk

The Spurs Thread

I was wondering about that - are we unfit this season ? Or is it that other teams are wising up and getting themselves fitter, plus the age of the squad, has found us out a little bit. Poch’s playing style certainly isn’t for older players - they tend to start breaking, like Moussa Dembele and Wanyama. Alderweireld and Vertongen, watertight two or three years ago, are very porous now. Certainly we used to be the comeback kings later in a game, now we can’t hold on to a lead, like Liverpool two/three seasons ago. You knew the pace they played at they’d be vulnerable after 65 minutes or so.

10 hours ago, redbloodcel said:

I don't think he wants to go, but I do think he's incredibly frustrated at the moment. Finally got the players he wanted in a Transfer window and they're all injured, and the rest of the squad is performing well below what's expected of them. 

What's odd is that I think for many of them, the England lads certainly, this was their first summer off in ages, yet it really doesn't look like it's helped them! 

That’s not really true. The England players all went to the Nation’s League about 37 seconds after the Champion’s League final. They only played one game, but they must have been completely knackered.

And coming back after a loss in a big final is always harder. I really don’t think Liverpool would have started like they have if they ended last season without a trophy. That sort of effort without anything to show for it just hurts more. 

Previously Pochettino would have got them going again, but from the outside he just seems exhausted too. The new stadium just demands a certain level of consistency and that is so much more pressure than he’s had before. He might want to go to Real Madrid, but right now it would feasibly be a disaster. He just needs a break. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rev said:

And coming back after a loss in a big final is always harder. I really don’t think Liverpool would have started like they have if they ended last season without a trophy. That sort of effort without anything to show for it just hurts more. 

Liverpool won their opening 5 or 6 games last season.

3 hours ago, Adrock said:

Liverpool won their opening 5 or 6 games last season.

Having spent a mere £164m on core players, particularly completely revitalising central midfielders, on the back of a season where they spent a mere £156m. 

It’s not really comparable. 

8 minutes ago, Rev said:

Having spent a mere £164m on core players, particularly completely revitalising central midfielders, on the back of a season where they spent a mere £156m. 

It’s not really comparable. 

So it isn't the feeling in the camp after losing a big final that determines how you start the season but the spending in the summer?

I think you're trying to find excuses for the fact that the departure of a few key players has been poorly managed by the club. As well as a number of other issues.

The message coming out of the club via the manager and senior players before and after the final has been mixed. That has contributed at least as much to the current problems as transfer spend and whatever other excuse you want to make.

1 hour ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Aurier being Aurier. Lloris being Lloris. Oh dear. 

Kane being Kane, good way to stop the rot - give the other side a player advantage and a free goal :wub:

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Shimmyhill said:

Kane being Kane, good way to stop the rot - give the other side a player advantage and a free goal :wub:

This is a text book result that we wouldn't have had a chance of pre-Poch. A man down used to be prime time for spurs to implode. 

A good result against Bayern and we might be able to get back on track. 

The culmination of the lack of investment in the team over the last few years. No quality younger players to provide respite/competition/eventual replacement in key areas. Suddenly a few of our players are looking their age, and the backup is either not good enough or non-existent. Others have suffered a wretched run of form lasting months. Other just want to leave.

Pochettino has worked wonders with squeezing every last drop out of this squad over the last few years, but will he have the desire to rebuild this team again, and more importantly, will he have the financial backing ?

We played great for the first 30mins, amid the sloppy first goal conceded.  Not sure what happened after that, we just got really sloppy.

3 goals came came after Winks came off for Lamela on the 81st min... Not surprising since Lamela is more of an attacking player, but I thought that was a very poor sub.  Dier could have kept it at 2-4.

And just when we thought this season couldn't get any worse, we somehow made Brighton look like a good team.

We have nothing to lose now and Poch needs to bite the bullet and not play any of the players that want to leave again - or at least not start with them regulary. So with that in mind this would be my team for the next game versus Watford.

4-2-3-1 Formation

Gazzigna 

Sess(if fit) Davies if not

Sanchez

Foyth

Walker-Peters

Dier

Winks

Lamela 

Dele

Son

Kane

Bench 

Goalie, Sess or Davies, Tanganga, Skipp, Sissoko, Lucas, Parrot

Even if that team loses, I am fairly sure it will at least put some effort in, unlike most of the cunts on Saturday that barely broke sweat.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ndombele has to at least be in the bench... He's got one assist and two goals this season. He may not be fully fit or integrated yet, but he's the future of our midfield. 

22 minutes ago, meatbin said:

Ndombele has to at least be in the bench... He's got one assist and two goals this season. He may not be fully fit or integrated yet, but he's the future of our midfield. 

He was fucking awful on Saturday and until he learns he has to actually work off the ball then he can sit out as well as the other lazy cunts we have in the squad right now.

It was a right shit-show on Saturday and no mistake. I feel sorry for Son and Kane at the moment. If Hugo hadn’t got injured so badly he would have been taking absolute pelters for another clanger. Hopefully Lo Celso, Foyth and Sessegnon are nearly fit - that’d be three of the wantaways out of the team.

11 minutes ago, Jammy said:

It was a right shit-show on Saturday and no mistake. I feel sorry for Son and Kane at the moment. If Hugo hadn’t got injured so badly he would have been taking absolute pelters for another clanger. Hopefully Lo Celso, Foyth and Sessegnon are nearly fit - that’d be three of the wantaways out of the team.

Lo Celso could be massive for us, I really can't wait to see him start and I hope Poch has the guts to play Sessegnon as an attacking left back as well.

I am dreading how many Liverpool are going to score against us.

It was a trashing by Liverpool that ended AVB's reign so could history repeat itself.

I have to admit if he keeps picking the players that want to leave over and over again, I am fast losing any sympathy for him.  Danny Rose was fucking shocking today yet again.

21 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

I am dreading how many Liverpool are going to score against us.

It was a trashing by Liverpool that ended AVB's reign so could history repeat itself.

I have to admit if he keeps picking the players that want to leave over and over again, I am fast losing any sympathy for him.  Danny Rose was fucking shocking today yet again.

Rose has completely lost the plot. Sessegnon has to get a chance hopefully. Bit risky against Liverpool but I'd sooner see someone put some effort in. I really think we'll take a 5-0 spanking though. Then Poch out. 

47 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Rose has completely lost the plot. Sessegnon has to get a chance hopefully. Bit risky against Liverpool but I'd sooner see someone put some effort in. I really think we'll take a 5-0 spanking though. Then Poch out. 

Hopefully when Sess is for he will play LB for the home games and maybe some of the easier away games and Davies can play there for the others.

Or play Sess as the LWB and play Davies as the left side of a back three like he does for Wales.

1 hour ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Poch out is the ramblings of a crazy man!