rllmuk

The Spurs Thread

2 minutes ago, Jammy said:

Fabulous signing. Sessignon next please ! And a backup/rival for Kane :)

I have heard Sess and his twin bro is as good as done, I personally think we need someone who can play on both flanks as wide forward as we don't really have any cover in that position at all.  

Maybe Sessignon will be that player but I have a feeling his long term future will be as an attacking left back, and there is no better coach in world football than Poch for that position. 

Got myself a ticket for Spurs v Crystal Palace in September.

Just after a bit of advice for travel please...  Is it easiest to walk to and fro the Stadium from Seven Sisters, rather than get the overground to White Hart Lane?

And how long on average are the queues to get a tube from Seven Sisters after a game?

Last time I went it was definitely easier to walk to and from Seven Sisters - it's a half an hour walk but easier than trying to faff around getting the odd slow metro train from Liverpool Street.

Granted this was before the recent upgrades across the board (Overground franchise, new stadium) but I can't see it being any better now especially as 1. there'll be twice as many fans now and 2. the station is still the same tiny one.

There are a bunch of buses that will go up that road if you want to cut off a bit of time. Not sure how busy they'll get actually. We're actually going before that to the Inter Milan match, we're looking forward to seeing the new stadium. I imagine we'll get a bus some of the way but we could actually walk it from our house. 

Also, The High Cross (tiny) is tiny pub that used to be a public toilet, with a lovely chap that runs it and good beers. But you can also get Lucky Chip burgers from The Bluecoats too. Imagine that one will get quite rammed on a match day though.

We got Newcastle tickets. the OH is a Newcastle fan first and foremost so it's nice to see both teams play. Though, I imagine it'll be as much a counselling session for my fiancee as a nice day out, all things considered with NUFC. 

Anyway - The Spurs ticketing experience was terrible though. Can't believe how shit the eticketing site was dealing with the queues.  

Thanks for the tips guys.

@cowfields Ticketing was awful, I queued for an hour and 20mins to get one ticket... But the whole system felt like it was going to crash at any stage, and never gave me a feeling that my queuing was going to pay off (it did).

Anyone watch the Juve match, Kane scores a last min winner mugging off an old friend ;)

Ndombele looks class, great assist almost as soon as he came on!

The future looks bright...

• Upvote 1

Didn't watch the match but judging by all the reports, we look good, sounds all good for the coming season.

And that (away) strip looks amazing.

So folks, who do you will end up in a Spurs shirt by the end of today? Sounds like at least Sessegnon and Lo Celso will be, but will the pursuit of Dybala pay off? Will late entry Youcef Atal get over the finish line? Will Fernando Llorente be back for one more season? Will everything fall apart leaving nothing at all? 

8 minutes ago, redbloodcel said:

So folks, who do you will end up in a Spurs shirt by the end of today? Sounds like at least Sessegnon and Lo Celso will be, but will the pursuit of Dybala pay off? Will late entry Youcef Atal get over the finish line? Will Fernando Llorente be back for one more season? Will everything fall apart leaving nothing at all? 

Dybala is off apparently, Sessegnon will be a great buy if done (apparently is) and I don’t know much about Lo Celso but people who do reckon he will be great and fit Poch system - generally seems like a great window and I hope the surprise move is we sign King Erik for an extension.

Right back and striker cover are areas of concern, as is my constant viewing of transfer deadline day :facepalm:

I'm still quite baffled that we currently don't have a like for like backup for Kane. 

I know Son and Moura can play there, but that's a different system, and if Kane gets injured again (likely) then it would be good to be able to play those two in  their usual positions.

Seg and Le Celso are sound buys, as is Ndombele... Dybala would push us up another level. 

2 minutes ago, meatbin said:

I'm still quite baffled that we currently don't have a like for like backup for Kane. 

I know Son and Moura can play there, but that's a different system, and if Kane gets injured again (likely) then it would be good to be able to play those two in  their usual positions.

Seg and Le Celso are sound buys, as is Ndombele... Dybala would push us up another level. 

Sounds like Troy Parrott is going to get some chances up top this season. If there's space in the 25 then Llorente is still free... 

That sounds promising... All for youth coming through, would rather him see more game time than Llorente.

I will never forgot Llorente's hip getting us into the Champs League Semi, but it's time we moved on. 

Lamela’s looked pretty handy pre-season. Hopefully he is finally free of injury. Great window I think, although surprised we didn’t look for a right back as well.

• Upvote 1

Overall it was a great window, we now have some genuine depth in midfield and Sessegnon we have signed one of the best young players around.

Dybala would have been nice, but if he had come, Son, Dele and Lucas would have had to fight for very much reduced game time.

• Upvote 1

I think a right back will come in Jan if the current options don't work out well.  I'd love to see KWP and Foyth excel in the position.  

I am sure Poch feels fine with what we already have at RB, I mean we didn't even have any interest in buying a new one even after Trippier was sold. 

We may even see Sissoko play there at some point this season. 

I didn’t watch the game - was away, and following on the BBC updates. Sounds like we still let goals in early, still can’t put two good halves together consistently, and we still struggle to unlock teams that take an early lead against us and then defend. But a good win nonetheless.

29 minutes ago, Jammy said:

I didn’t watch the game - was away, and following on the BBC updates. Sounds like we still let goals in early, still can’t put two good halves together consistently, and we still struggle to unlock teams that take an early lead against us and then defend. But a good win nonetheless.

It was a typical Spurs performance against a team that parked the bus.

We simply don't have creativity in the team, hopefully Lo Celso will help with that.  I have to say I am so excited to see how we will line-up when everyone is fit, the bench could well be something like this;

Gazzinga 

Sissoko

Dier

Dele

Lucas

Sessegnon

Lamela

That has to be best bench we have ever had.

• Upvote 1

I kinda disagree...

We let in a poor goal because Rose made a silly mistake, we didn’t have much defending to do as the bus was parked and clamped (and fair enough as it was a shock lead against the run of play) and looked good on the ball - we lacked a creative spark at times for sure but it was not anywhere near our best side regardless of the new signings.

King Erik came on with a change in system so was a double whammy and Villa couldn’t cope with it, Erik even cleared the first defender for a few corners so I assume the defence was shell shocked as they can’t have planned for that ;) 

It was a game pre Poch we would have lost 0-1 but second half we always looked like we would win it and I think even Villa fans would say that, we ran them ragged for a long period and that always going to tell as the game goes on esp as it was the first game and they had no outlet constantly giving us the ball back.

First half was frustrating, outside of the 8 or 9 mins before Villa scored we looked dangerous, but that was because Villa got the goal and shut up shop and we didn’t react, the line up didn’t shout creativity and Poch had to have an eye on the Man City game - I assumed that’s why Vertonghen didn’t play rather than the press theory of some issue.

I agree that Jan was probably just being saved for City. I think Poch has finally realised he can't just keep playing the same players every week and I can see us using squad rotation a lot more this season, especially now we have a deeper squad.

Yesterday’s result was extremely concerning. We did create a couple of chances, but it was all so pedestrian. We can’t keep giving teams a goal in the first 15 minutes as we still struggle when they inevitably park the bus.

1 hour ago, Jammy said:

Yesterday’s result was extremely concerning. We did create a couple of chances, but it was all so pedestrian. We can’t keep giving teams a goal in the first 15 minutes as we still struggle when they inevitably park the bus.

I am deeply concerned, we are simply not the same team that finished second to Chelsea a few seasons ago now. 

I have no idea what's gone wrong but I am sad to say I am not sure if Poch is the man to turn it around. 

Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water. If Spurs get rid of Poch he's still pretty much guaranteed to walk into a top 3 job in most decent countries, yes he needs to break his trophy duck but he's still top tier.

Eriksen and Vertonghen are big misses (even though the former looked quite flat last season) and the 3 young signings were never going to bed in immediately. This time last year you were losing 2-1 to Watford so it's nothing new.

29 minutes ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water. If Spurs get rid of Poch he's still pretty much guaranteed to walk into a top 3 job in most decent countries, yes he needs to break his trophy duck but he's still top tier.

Eriksen and Vertonghen are big misses (even though the former looked quite flat last season) and the 3 young signings were never going to bed in immediately. This time last year you were losing 2-1 to Watford so it's nothing new.

Indeed, we were shit last season too.

This isn't a new thing, as I said we have not looked as good now for quite a while.  

I am not saying Poch still isn't a great manager, but there's something amiss with him these days, his demeanour in press conferences has gone from jovial to tetchy and confrontational, and his refusal to play our best defender is starting to feel a little personal now.