The Unofficial Aston Villa thread!

ClassicReplay

I genuinely don't know, but I'm not qualified to say really.  The club have an analytics department with multiple full time employees who are paid to think about this sort of thing.  I kinda like the "hipsters choice"  players and managers when it comes to times like these, just because I'd rather be ahead of the curve rather than behind it but obviously for Pochettino that appears in the league you get an Hasenhuttl.   I'm not sold on Poch if truth be told, I feel he might already be past his sell by date.  Obviously I'll back whoever comes in but we need somebody who was like Pochettino circa 2013 who can come up with a way to beat the systems being used in 2022 rather than somebody who knew how to do that 5-10 years ago and is now the guy that the really clever new managers have figured out how to beat. 

Maybe I want too much, but I figure if you can't get somebody like Guardiola and back him with oil money so he can constantly reinvent the squad then maybe it is better either having somebody who knows how to beat the current in vogue formations or someone like Graham Potter who is very good at adapting to and cancelling out the opposition.   I think I said it in my last post on this thread but the Thomas Frank link isn't something I'm convinced by either because, as we've seen with Dean Smith, Brentford's continued success isn't solely dependent on the head coach, it goes much deeper than that.  

Frank I would be similarly concerned that he's the result of the Brentford system. I do think he's fundamentally a decent manager though.

Poch I think would be a fantastic appointment. He's clearly a talented manager, and fits the ambitions of the club. The concerns for me would be... I suspect he would taking the job against his better judgement and would jump the second the chance came, which in turn would make me wonder how committed and invested he would be. But I'd take him even so. And you'd definitely want to talk to him even if it was for him to quickly say no.

Emery I think might be the smart choice. He's got unfinished business in England, he's a good tactical guy, and he's had success with clubs of Villa's stature. And he seems to like success at clubs with Villa in the name ;). Probably a difficult get but not impossible.

Amorim seems to be the hipster choice. I don't really know anything about him but he appears to be well regarded as a future elite manager. But he's very young and hasn't done that much, and Portugal isn't a top league for a manager. He could be the next Mourinho... But also he could be a hype job.

It will be interesting to see what Emery brings to the table.  The Arsenal job didn't work out, I wonder how much previous he has with Emi Martinez from those days.  He's clearly got a brilliant footballing brain and hopefully he's learned from his last time in England.  I don't think he'll have the same issues at Villa with communicating his ideas in English even if it's just because he's older and wiser.  

1 hour ago, Naysonymous said:

It will be interesting to see what Emery brings to the table.  The Arsenal job didn't work out, I wonder how much previous he has with Emi Martinez from those days.  He's clearly got a brilliant footballing brain and hopefully he's learned from his last time in England.  I don't think he'll have the same issues at Villa with communicating his ideas in English even if it's just because he's older and wiser.  

Hmm I'm not so sure. The communicating in plain English must have hampered Gerrard.

• 2 weeks later...

A spectacular disappointment there.

Round will win by fucking miles, but looks straight off the football club badge creation line, but worse because these badges have moved to having white space and this doesn't. And the proportions look off. It's basically just the 80s badge again which makes a mockery of spend on this project.

And the shield one looks incredibly bland. It looks like it's from a bad videogame creation tool, the name is too small and looks weird when it doesn't follow the shields line, and probably needs to be colour flipped. But it's a unique shape.

And the star of both looks ridiculous.

Sigh.

People will hate on whatever they do so they can’t win.  Even the camps who like each design would prefer it if the design was a bit more like their idea.  Personally I like the round one, even if it’s just for the fact that it takes me back to being a kid. I don’t like the yellow on the current badge, I do like that Aston Villa appears on the new designs rather than AVFC. The round one will win, and it’s the one I’ll be voting for. 

• 1 month later...

Never in doubt. Main discussion point from the council committee was around the transport and parking impacts, basically arguing it's shit now and more people going to the stadium won't help, which everyone already knew was a issue and always will be until an unfeasibly massive overhaul of public transport in the city is done.

They’ll just build a second exit from Witton station that comes out on Station Road  and extend the platforms towards Aston.  It won’t increase the frequency of the service but it will ease the crowding at the station after full time.  

The other thing is BoxPark Villa Live which should be able to keep fans in the area after the final whistle and reduce pressure on the transport links in the first hour after the final whistle. That’s what they do at other stadiums around the country. 

E2FEE8E9-C183-45D7-8716-70229E13B955.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

9 from 12 under Emery, all in games we’d have been expected to lose by neutrals, and we gave Liverpool a bloody good run for their money.  Could it finally be time to crash into the top half and aim for Europe? 

A great win today which I unfortunately couldn’t watch. 

I have just watched the highlights though and fuck me the comms were so patronising. I know I should be used to it now but saying ‘It’s the stuff of dreams’ when we went 2 up is ridiculous. It was Spurs, not Madrid in the Champ League final.

That's just the nature of modern media isn't it?  Everything's got to be the best thing ever or the worst thing ever.  It's a good win for us, there's no doubt about that but we've won twice at their new stadium in four attempts.   There can't be many visiting sides with a better record down there now I think of it. 

We looked really good today.  Spurs definitely had a talent advantage but that's to be expected given their wage bill compared to ours but we looked disciplined and for the last half an hour or so we looked completely in control. 

I’m guessing Bednarek will be sent back. I doubt Olsen will play again. Coutinho offers nothing and Cash appears to have gone backwards recently.

Sanson looked neat and tidy. He might have brought himself a bit more time.

Other than that, I don’t think we’ll see much this Jan. The squad’s too small for wholesale pruning. 

Bailey is my big concern. He’s the only one in the squad with real pace, but he looks bereft at the moment. His first touch and decision making were shocking.

Bailey survives because we don't have anyone else that's comfortable wide, but he's one that needs to go to the continent. He's absolutely dire currently, can't shoot can't beat his man has lost pace and is so one footed it's obscene.

Olsen needs to be upgraded but wouldn't be the first thing I'd do.

Coutinho is done. There's flashes of the player he was but even he doesn't believe he has it anymore. His shooting today was appalling.

We need a left back, and we seem pretty likely to be getting one.

We have so little width that we need someone that can play as a winger, and upfront we're crap - Watkins can't finish and his touch and decision making is shocking, Ings can finish but he's not capable of being a pressing forward. Ideally you'd go after a modern all action forward, that mixes the winger/striker/attacking mid, but that's easier said than done.

Work needs to be done.

Looks like Alex Moreno, LB from Betis, is joining imminently.

Now, go get a wide attacking player, ideally one that can finish. Wouldn't say no to a striker either, especially if we get more of a true winger.

My main memory of Guendouzi is him absolutely destroying us at their place in our first season back up in (another) game we threw away.  They had ten men for ages and we should have had a penalty.   I guess Emery would have been Arsenal manager in that game. 

Posted in the 2022/23 thread too, but Ings to West Ham?   Took me by surprise, I figured he'd leave the club in the summer but to go in January is interesting.  If you think Jhon Duran is more of a long term prospect then this leaves us short, right?  Does that mean we have someone else lined up or are the club all in on Duran being a world beater?