rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
ClassicReplay

The Unofficial Aston Villa thread!

Absolutely tragic.  When I heard he collapsed yesterday I was shocked but when the news of his passing this morning genuinely rocked me.

Back in the mid to late 90's he was always one of my favourite players during a period of time I could actually have a season ticket and go to games.

44.  If we didn't already know, life's so unfair.

• Upvote 2

Looking like John Terry signs today.  It doesn't strike me as a particularly good bit of business from a footballing point of view.  We had one of the best defences in the league last season, it was lack of goals which cost us, and the Chester Baker partnership seems more than good enough for the Championship.  I can't see how Terry can do much on the pitch to solve our issues going forwards, he's probably better than Nathan Baker but not £100k a week or whatever he'll be getting paid better, so I can't see the point beyond the fact that he's a "name" and Xia thinks bringing him in is a statement of intent which will attract other players and sponsors to the club, I mean a pre season tour of China will probably generate more press if we've got a player in the team that the locals have actually heard of. 

Thing is, Terry is an arsehole.  I kinda like disliking him.  Maybe he'll be brilliant but part of me wonders if a guy so synonymous with one club will have his heart in it when he moves to another. I'm guessing his family will be staying in Surrey while he's in digs up in Brum somewhere. Will Terry be meeting people, shaking hands, making things happen off the pitch in an ambassadorial role or will he shooting off back down the M40 every chance he gets?   Hopefully I'm won over, but as I stand right now I just can't see the point. 

Well, first post in over six months and I have to say John Terry has completely won me over.  He's been superb on and off the pitch this season, not disappearing back to London when he was out injured spoke volumes. If he was bought in to lift the spirits in the squad then it's mission accomplished.  Jack Grealish looking like a Premier League player in the Championship has been huge in our recent run too,  I wonder how many more points we'd have if he hadn't missed the first 20 games of the season with injury.  

Anyway, that's not why I've bumped the thread.  This is why I've bumped the thread:

I think I'm in the minority of people who prefer Adomah's goal to Connor's.  It's just a lovely move and you can see it's something they'd worked on in training. The run from Hourihane to open up the space for Adomah is great, the fact you can see Adomah looking and waiting before he starts his run is really nice.   Hopefully we get someome with that again before the season is out.  

Also: loving the stat that the last time Small Heath scored a goal at Villa Park it was the consolation goal in the 5-1. :)

• Upvote 3

Well, this thread only seems to get bumped when people die and sadly today our former chairman, inventor of the package holiday and the bicycle kick, one Sir Herbert Douglas Ellis has passed away.   Seems kinda apt he died in a week where Villa made a managerial change.  RIP Doug. :(

• Empathy 2

Promotion bump.  Been meaning to do this for a little while, since the final in fact, but now that the summer business is starting to swing I think it's time to post some thoughts. 

Firstly, what a season! I can't remember anything being as eventful as 2018/19, so many great goals, epic games, cult heroes emerging and hope being built. It feels like forever ago that somebody decided to toss a cabbage at Steve Bruce.  

Summer stuff though.  Seems to me that the management know there will be a lot of churn this summer and are trying their hardest to get stuff done early in order to give everybody a pre-season. Glad to see moves for the loan signings, Hause and El Ghazi confirmed so far for very reasonable fees. Can't see Tuanzebe coming back and I think the signing of Wesley Moraes has closed the door on Tammy being a Villa player next season.  Weirdly I'm not as bothered by Tammy as others, he was great last season but of the key players he was the one who left me frustrated the most often as there were multiple games we didn't get anything out of because he'd had a stinker. Obviously his goals got us promoted but I just can't see him getting 25 goals in the Premier League. Whether Wesley is the man remains to be seen but again, we've moved early and he'll get a lot of time at Bodymoor before we kick off in August.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Mings, I think a deal can be done but I'd rather have it done asap. 

Goalkeeper rumours won't go away. I think Nyland will be on his way out, whether on loan or not remains to be seen but I think it depends on how his injury heals. Rumours that Kalinic is looking to move have surfaced, he's not managed to hold a spot in the team and perhaps he's struggling to settle in England. Talk of Butland coming in, presumably he wants out of Stoke for the sake of his England career.  Steer did well last season at key moments but there are definitely weaknesses to his game.  It will be interesting to see what happens next. 

• Upvote 1

Nice to be exited by the Villa again. 

That play off final took years off my life so the pressure to win something before I die grows more urgent. 

Its great that we finally have a back room team that have a plan beyond throw money around and cross fingers, and it is great to see business being done. I think everyone will be more relaxed when Mings officially arrives though. 

Im not expecting to pull up trees next season but as long as we can consolidate our Prem status, with our super rich owners, it will give us the chance to really kick on and hopefully become a player again. 

Yeah, 2019/20 is all about staying up. You'd presume we'd be looking to be competitive with sides like Brighton, Southampton, Newcastle, Palace, Bournemouth (etc) as well as the other promoted teams. I kinda fancy Sheffield United to have a good start for some reason.  40 points is the first priority and if we do have the money to spend then it takes three or four transfer windows to get a squad capable of competing with the top half. 

*Edit* 

Looking like season tickets are going to be capped at 30,000 this season, the club are over 23000 after one day of sales (including renewals, obviously). Previous highest was 27500 in 2008/09. 

Edited by Naysonymous
Season ticket stuff
  • Upvote 1

Loads of rumours that Cahill will join on a free. A pairing of him and Mings would be ok. Don’t want him to be given some ridiculously long contract, and be lumbered with his wages if we go down. Hopefully, the new board are more sensible than Randy.

We need a decent defensive midfielder to allow Grealish and McGinn to play farther forward. There’s rumours of Ampadu on loan, but he’s too young and untested for my liking. And then there’s his moustache.