rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
ClassicReplay

The Unofficial Aston Villa thread!

It's easier to say who shouldn't be near it I think. Worryingly those names are probably high up the likely appointment list. Pearson... Bradley...

Whoever comes in needs to do an exceptional job instantly, we are in trouble. Who we end up with will say a lot about the coming months.

I'd be amazed if Rodgers was remotely interested. What's he got to work with? At Liverpool he at least had money from the board a crop of players to build around. Besides, I don't think Rodgers would be any good in a relegation scrap - you should be able to find somebody better suited than him.

Jesus, I'd forgotten about Pearson. I hope it's not him.

I can't see Moyes being ready to leave Spain yet, and I can't see Rodgers being keen.

Is John Gregory still working? Or Big Fat Ron?

Moyes would keep you up I reckon, I hope you get Rodgers, him in a relegation battle needing to grind out results would be hilarious although obviously your fans wouldn't find it funny

I think that a new manager won't make much difference. If your owners sell the best players and don't replace with quality, then whoever comes in will have an impossible task. They've panicked because they fear relegation, but until January it won't make a difference.

I think that a new manager won't make much difference. If your owners sell the best players and don't replace with quality, then whoever comes in will have an impossible task. They've panicked because they fear relegation, but until January it won't make a difference.

Hang on, are you still talking about Villa there or Liverpool? ;)

Arf. Honestly though, a new manager isn't gonna make a huge difference. It may change things late on when a team is playing a lot worse than the sum of their parts (ie Pulis or BFS coming in late in the season to save a club) but until money is spent on refreshing the staff I can't see it changing much.

The problems at Villa seems to be much wider than the guy in the sheepskin.

Can't see it. City is a freebie as far as I'm concerned, while it would be nice to get something the truth is they are light years ahead of us in every department and I'd expect them to beat us handily.

Remi's job really starts after the international break and I'd say we've got to win a minimum of ten games to stand a chance.

Okore out for the season with the injury he picked up on Saturday. Fucksocks.

Amavi out for the season with the injury he picked up in the U21s. Fucksocks.

Should we just stop signing defenders who are highly rated prospects? It only ever seems to result in serious long term injury.

Fuck the lot of 'em I say. We are going to have to go on a run of title winning form just to avoid finishing bottom if we aren't careful. Southampton away next (L) then Arsenal at home (L) before a six pointer away at Newcastle. We will be bottom at Christmas, it wouldn't surprise me if we don't reach double figures in points until January.

Fuck the lot of 'em I say. We are going to have to go on a run of title winning form just to avoid finishing bottom if we aren't careful. Southampton away next (L) then Arsenal at home (L) before a six pointer away at Newcastle. We will be bottom at Christmas, it wouldn't surprise me if we don't reach double figures in points until January.

Fuck me Mystic Meg, you were spot on. Depressingly.

Defo down. What's the lowest ever points total?

It's strange how you're not awful but just not good enough. You haven't been on the end of any major hidings like Derby had in their 11 point season and you're only really losing games by the odd goal. If you do go down I think you'd stay in the Championship and not fall straight through to League 1 live Wolves did.

I wouldn't be too sure. When we've come up against lower league opposition in the cups, we've generally been found wanting.

The club needs root and branch reform, and I'm unconvinced the current crew know what's needed, or how to do it. They've had half a decade of warning shots, and they've consistently ignored them. They've tried to run the club on a shoestring, selling the best players and replacing with unproven youngsters ( the current French kids) or old has-been so (Richardson, Cole).

I think if we'd got Moyes, I'd have been more confident that at least one person had got their head screwed on. I quite like Garde, but I'm not sure if he's got the nous/experience to get a team out the Championship. But, it's typical of us at the moment, we act too late to get Allardyce (who I hate, but he knows the division), and too early/didn't push for Moyes.

Very soon now there's going to be a little clutch of clubs that are going to be too good for the championship but not quite good enough for the premier league. Shame really as a couple of years ago villa (along with Fulham and Charlton to a lesser extent)brought a bit of variety to the league.

Villa aren't getting out of the Championship at the first attempt. There are too many well run clubs, like you say, too good for the Championship, not good enough for the Premier League.

I wouldn't pin it on Garde, not even Moyes or Allardyce could sort of the fundamental problem - the players aren't good enough. (And I think Allardyce is going to get relegated with that Sunderland squad, too.)

Still, life in the lower league isn't all bad. You can't predict the result beforehand for a start.

Where did all that money from Benteke go? And the extra TV revenues? There is no excuse for the poor investment in the Villa team. There is only one man who should take the majority of the slack when Villa go down.

The Benteke money (and more besides) went on the purchase of a bunch of players this summer. Those players were largely value and prospect buys, either cheap or unproven in the Prem (or both), and subsequently those players have either taken a long time to settle, or haven't performed to the standard needed.

So a team that was already weak losses it's best players, replaces them with a bunch that haven't performed, and puts it all under the command of a clown, initially anyway, which steals whatever confidence was left an already downtrodden bunch.