Sign in to follow this  
ClassicReplay

Amstrad Cpc Corkers

Probably Metrocross...

USGOLD were quite a good company on the C64, California games was really good as was Turb Outrun, but for the CPC and Speccy it was cut down versions with half hearted graphics and sound. USGOLD were lame compared to the quality games from Ocean, Hewson and Gremlin...

Never played it, Was it a Gremlin effort?

I thought Turbo Outrun was rubbish on the Commodore. The tape loader meant you got about 1 minute of play for every 10 minutes of loading. But USGOLD did release Beach Head, Raid Over Moscow and Leaderboard.

I thought Turbo Outrun was rubbish on the Commodore. The tape loader meant you got about 1 minute of play for every 10 minutes of loading. But USGOLD did release Beach Head, Raid Over Moscow and Leaderboard.

Not sure I agree with you there, but its all about opinions - try it on an emulator, no loading times and super fast gameplay...

Does anyone know of any decent soccer games on the CPC apart from Emlyn Hughes Soccer, as i've played that to death?

Top game by the way....

Does anyone know of any decent soccer games on the CPC apart from Emlyn Hughes Soccer, as i've played that to death?

I seem to remember Italy 1990, ironically made by US Gold, being rather good. In fact, it was about the only CPC footie game I really enjoyed, although there was a strange bug in the first release that meant the loser of the World Cup final was declared the winner.

EDIT: Ah shit, I see you've already played it judging from your US Gold game list-a-thon. Erm, Gazza II, perhaps?

I seem to remember Italy 1990, ironically made by US Gold, being rather good. In fact, it was about the only CPC footie game I really enjoyed, although there was a strange bug in the first release that meant the loser of the World Cup final was declared the winner.

EDIT: Ah shit, I see you've already played it judging from your US Gold game list-a-thon. Erm, Gazza II, perhaps?

I must have got them mixed up, the one I've played was Italia 1990, not sure who made it. Gazza 2 was ok but the ball never left the ground and felt rushed as a game. Will try Italy 1990...

Thanks...

I remeber my brother (he was probably 8 or 9 at the time) saved up for a month to afford a copy of Emlyn Hughes. It might have been the first full-price game he bought.

anyway, it arrived in the post one saturday morning and with much anticpation he loaded it. he sat playing it for about 2 hours.

I came back into the room and asked how it was going- and he said it was a bit confusing, as you had to play both sides in a match, on for the first half and one for the second half. and that the controls weren;t very responsive.

It was only after another hlaf an hour of wacthing him struggle with the game that I realised he hadn;t actually chosen to play either team, and was just watching the AI play against itself...

Not sure I agree with you there, but its all about opinions - try it on an emulator, no loading times and super fast gameplay...

Top game by the way....

Matchday 2 been mentioned? didn't read far enough back if it was. not bad but pretty slow.

(some) of my fav games anyway:

Head over Heels

Who dares wins (C64 version was easier due to scrolling that the CPC lacked)

Ikari Warriors

Renegade

Barbarian 1 and 2

Treasure Island Dizzy

Operation Wolf

Wizball

Turbo Cup

Arkanoid

Sweevos World (or something)

Trantor

APB

Savage

Tempest

Klax

Driller/Darkside/Castlemaster/Total Eclipse

Trailblazer

Twin Turbo V8 - ugly but far better than Outrun 'conversion'

Jack the Nipper

Afterburner

Road Blasters

It was only after another hlaf an hour of wacthing him struggle with the game that I realised he hadn;t actually chosen to play either team, and was just watching the AI play against itself...

that's quite funny, i remember doing the same thing with a one-on-one basketball game, i 'played' it a few times without realising how to start it

I never really had much of a CPC collection, I did have some games that I really enjoyed though.

One of my favourite games on the thing was definately Cybernoid, I dont remember finishing it or anything but i do remember really liking that one track of music in the game. it was ace.

Loved rainbow islands and Skate Crazy was good fun too. Harrier Attack brings back some memories.

First time I loaded Trantor the tape deck ate the tape and it never loaded ever again. It was part of a collection of games which cybernoiud was in too. There was a cool side scrolling platformer in the same set, cant remember its name, it was by hewson and the graphics ware sort of similar to Cybernoid.

What was the best version of Cybernoid? i remember looking at shots of the C64 version and the colours didnt look as interesting to me back then.

I remember after the tape deck stopped loading games and the machine was untouched for months as my brother and i had given up hope of it ever loading anything again. My dad chucked in an audio head cleaner cassette and as if by magic everything worked again, it was beautiful. Trantor still wouldnt load though. :-(

I loved my old CPC 464, still have mine in the family passed on to my neice and nephew, but they can't appriciate coding in BASIC to make a pretty screen that looks like a windows 3.1 screen saver. Spoilt brats...

Anyhoo, as for a few of my fave games:

Oh Mummy!

E.H. Soccer

Californian Games

Feaud

... god i'm having trouble remembering the games

Robocop was pretty awesome

never liked the batman game myself

AFTERBURNER!!! yes!

[edit]

Just thought of another

Ye-Ahh-Kung-Fu!

That game was godly! found a remake of it on a konami GBC collection, man, i played it to death just out of memory!

I had Afterburner. I remember being very confused over why it looked so frigging poor next to the coin-op. Still finished the thing, though.

Same goes for Strider. Fucking bollocks port. Man, was I gutted at having to wait a year every time I wanted to play the REAL version.

I had CPC 464 with extra 64k memory and a 3" disc drive...I was so proud.

My favourite game was Rebelstar, it was an excellent squad turn-based game. Very enjoyable but took forever to load.

I recall the Amsoft games with a warm glow, Roland on the Ropes, Oh Mummy, Harrier Attack...wonderful stuff.

Most hideous game was Double Dragon: The Rosetta Stones...christ that was bad.

Yeah, but EVERY version of that was bad. :D

There was a cool side scrolling platformer in the same set, cant remember its name, it was by hewson and the graphics ware sort of similar to Cybernoid.

Exolon?

It was flick screen as opposed to side scrolling, but was also by Raff Cecco which is why the graphics are similar to Cybernoid.

exolon.jpg

Exolon! Yes. That was the one.

I remember it being quite entertaining, it used to be pretty tough though or i was pretty shit at it, probably the latter. Must give it a go in an emulator.

Nice one Fry. :-)

Had a 6128 for a year before upgrading to an ST. Had a speccy for years before that.

Renegade and Gryzor were tremendous. By far the best 8bit versions.

I also liked Dark Side and played Match Day 2 for weeks.

Frank Brunos Boxing was good at the time and still pretty playable now, although much harder than i remember. Must be getting old :)

Just to follow up on somthing we spoke about recently.

I have easily got the CPC+ to display 280 sprites on screen, something I've already done, but of course it is the same image ;)

However, you can repeat the same image lots and lots using multiplexing, and it's more flexible than the c64 because you can effectively repeat any line of the sprite, or cut it horizontally or verticallly.

So with clever programming you can get two 8x8 sprites for each 16x16 sprite.

I also think that you can easily reprogram the x and y coordinate of one hardware sprite per line without any corruption to any sprites, by executing the following code:

LD HL,xcoord ;; [3]

LD (&6800),HL ;; [5]

LD HL,ycoord ;; [3]

LD (&6802),HL ;; [5] = [16]

And you've got 16 cycles for hsync.

This would work fine for an overscan screen, if you included border you could rewrite 2 sprites. If you're really clever and arrange the sprites specially, you can rewrite the x and y coords of all 15 sprites in 4 lines.

So in all the CPC+ hardware is better than the CPC, has some "issues", but I am sure these could be resolved

The GX4000 was totally crap. The worst hardware design ever.

It was a CPC with a couple of slight additions. One which being the most ludicrous implementation of hardware sprites ever. To animate a sprite you had to replace the image entirely (rather than point to a different image) - so the hardware sprites were nearly as slow as software sprites.

And burning rubber was dire.