rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

I Am Legend

Will Smith is a Legend

Source: Variety

April 26, 2006

Will Smith will star in I Am Legend, the long-gestating Warner Bros. adaptation of the Richard Matheson novel to be directed by Constantine helmer Francis Lawrence.

Variety says Smith has a pay-or-play deal to make "Legend" his next project, after he completes Tonight, He Comes at Sony.

Akiva Goldsman rewrote the script and is producing. The Da Vinci Code screenwriter has a working relationship with Smith from his last sci-fi hit, I, Robot, and from Tonight, He Comes, which Goldsman is producing with Michael Mann, Smith and James Lassiter.

Goldsman rewrote an original script by Mark Protosevich. Goldsman will produce with Erwin Stoff, David Heyman and Neal Moritz.

Set in post-apocalyptic New York, I Am Legend is about the last healthy man following the release of a virus that decimates the population. To survive, he must battle mutants that wreak havoc during the night.

Smith's deal clears the way for Warner Bros. to plot an early 2007 start date on the actioner, which will be shot in New York.

------------------------------------------------------

Looks like movement is finally happening and fast too. According to this report the movie is set to start shooting in just over a month. Yet no announcement on stars. Anyone heard anything? Looks like the guy who did Constantine is doing it..

I Am Legend to Film in Kingsbridge Armory

Source: New York Daily News

January 26, 2006

The New York Daily News reports that Warner Bros. Pictures is renting the Kingsbridge Armory in New York for seven months for the filming of I Am Legend, the big screen adaptation of Richard Matheson's book to be directed by Francis Lawrence (Constantine). Here's a clip:

Given its troubled state, the armory, with its gigantic bay-studded roof and red brick exterior, might make a suitable set for a creepy Steven King-spawned film thriller. Something with a title like, "The Armory that Wouldn't Die."

But it's not the outside that Warner wants. It's the equally massive - and somewhat creepy - inside.

The former drill hall would be turned into a preproduction and studio set for a movie version of Richard Matheson's famed sci-fi novel, "I Am Legend."

His novel had been based in Los Angeles and features the survivor of a biological war doing battle with nocturnal mutant vampires.

You can read the full article on the filming, set to start on Feb. 27 and end Sept. 30, here. Pictures of the armory are available here.

Lets have a minutes silence for every film heston made in the 70's where

He dies at the end, or his character realises the futility of continued existance (oh, and POTA which was actually made in 68)

Weird.

I just finished reading 'I Am Legend' this week and started wondering about that remake.

It's the sort of film that John Carpenter would have made in the 80s.

fresh_prince_cast.jpg

I've not seen Ali, or any other of Will Smiths serious roles. Can he pull this off?

This film, unless they've changed the story, is about one man, alone, the acting has got to be nothing less than fucking astounding for it to work.

I'm afraid, like Keanu Reeves (Bill), I can't see this man for anything other than his original role, Fresh Prince. That may be short sighted of me, but its hard not too.

In a weird twist, I started reading 'I Am Legend' again just this morning. It's a truly fantastic book, but I don't hold out much hope for the film adaptation- I thought the Protosevich script was a slagheap of point-missing clag, and Akiva "Batman Forever & Lost in Space" Goldsman is the anti-Christ of screenwriting. Bringing in the director of 'Constantine' doesn't exactly thrill me, either.

I'd love to see a genuinely faithful adaptation of the book; sparse, dusty and bleak, with periods of staggering intensity.

So the film will star Will Smith. It's being directed by the man behind Constantine. Akiva Goldsman rewrote the script. Neil Moritz will produce... for FUCK SAKE, why don't they just DO THE BLOODY BOOK. This is going to be some bloody epic city-spanning piece of crap where there will likely be more human characters DESPITE THE BOOKS NAME and loads of action.

Seriously, I'm so pissed of. I adore the book - it's one of my favourites. That whole chapter dedicated to Neville trying to help the dog is heartbreaking and beautiful in equal measure. It almost made me cry when I read it. Well the film is already making me cry - it's going to suck.

Yeah, it's not quite the same as the Ridley Scott/Arnie collaboration that was on the cards ten years ago.

So is The Omega Man not considered to be a good adaptation? Not read the book.

In a weird twist, I started reading 'I Am Legend' again just this morning. It's a truly fantastic book, but I don't hold out much hope for the film adaptation- I thought the Protosevich script was a slagheap of point-missing clag, and Akiva "Batman Forever & Lost in Space" Goldsman is the anti-Christ of screenwriting. Bringing in the director of 'Constantine' doesn't exactly thrill me, either.

I'd love to see a genuinely faithful adaptation of the book; sparse, dusty and bleak, with periods of staggering intensity.

o/\o

I recall a friend, and big Asimov fan, bitching hysterically when I Robot was released. It wasn't a particularly good film, especially given the blatant product placement and what not, but I maintained that it wasn't meant to be treated as anything other than just daft popcorn fodder.

Now in my head I'm seeing I Am Legend done in the same sort of way, and I want to bludgeon out my eyes.

The Omega Man was indeed a load of shite.

Anyone remember the Haloween episode of the Simpsons when they did 'The Homega Man'?

Quality that was.

Not seen the Omega Man, but The Last Man on Earth was pretty good apart from the ending. It was missing a lot of stuff that would've been hard to include without having narration through the whole film though (his research into the vampire myth and the reality of the virus, most notably). You can download it legally and free from here.

It's hard to see this new one being anything other than appalling with the people involved ;)

Hey there.

I love the book and I remember reading Protosevich's script and thinking it was pretty fuckin fantastic. A great update of the book. Right up until the last ten pages where they changed the ending..

I think Will Smith is a good actor and could be fine in the role.. Just hope he plays it serious and doesnt try and be "funny" all the time.

Just be glad they aint using John Logans scriopt...

Despin out.

Hmmmm. Not sure about this one, but I'm willing to give Big Willy a chance on this one. Have to say, I'm quite partial to The Omega Man, absolute tosh, but entertaining tosh. I particularly like the bit where Heston is at the cinema watching Woodstock, and you can see the sheer hatred for the hippies in his eyes :blink:

Only very recently saw The Last Man On Earth, and I have to say, while being (obviously) old skool as fuck, its a much better film. Vincent Price's voice does makes me smile though :D

I love the book and I remember reading Protosevich's script and thinking it was pretty fuckin fantastic. A great update of the book. Right up until the last ten pages where they changed the ending..

The ending, which is one of the best endings I've ever read in a book.

It's one of them where you close the book, sit back and say 'bugger'.