Manga

Headache

Woohoo, my comic stores Peterborough branch managed to get a copy of 20th Century Boys Perfect Edition volume 2! They remembered I wanted one and got a member of staff to bring it to the Bedford store for me to collect.

In other news, started reading Chainsaw Man on the Shonen app, double-yah-tee-eff?

• 1 month later...

So, got round to starting that second volume of 20th Century Boys and could not put it down. I've got the third one on my book shelf already but got a couple of novels and a non-fiction book on the go, plus I like picking out manga/graphic novel to pick out to read over a weekend, so maybe next weekend (though I've also got vol 4 of Berzerk, vol 5, 6 and 7 of Persona 5, Uzamaki, Vol 3 of Prometha and vol 4 of Alan Moores Swamp Thing Run all to read too...)

4 hours ago, wev said:

So, got round to starting that second volume of 20th Century Boys and could not put it down. I've got the third one on my book shelf already but got a couple of novels and a non-fiction book on the go, plus I like picking out manga/graphic novel to pick out to read over a weekend, so maybe next weekend (though I've also got vol 4 of Berzerk, vol 5, 6 and 7 of Persona 5, Uzamaki, Vol 3 of Prometha and vol 4 of Alan Moores Swamp Thing Run all to read too...)

Uzumaki and Berserk, those two are like GOATS for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone recommend a good manga series for my son (planning ahead for Xmas)?

He’ll be 14 by then, got into Death Note, but that was quickly superseded by his favourites – Tokyo Ghoul and JoJo’s. 

I’m not wild about manga, despite Akira being my favourite ever comic, so it’s hard for me to judge. 

He’s managed to nab a couple of Chainsaw Man books, which alongside Tokyo Ghoul, seem to hit the sweet spot of mature-ish content and some humour as light relief. 

I lent him Akira, but he wasn’t crazy about it, but I think he’s getting to the age where he is more interested in discovering things himself. 

He read a few One Piece books which we borrowed, which were fine, but didn’t hook him. 

Any ideas greatly appreciated. 

Tell him to keep reading One Piece :lol: If he didn't get through the first ten books he's not seen what it's really got yet.

Otherwise, based on those things, I'd reccomend Battle Angel, but I always do. Vinland Saga also might be a good shout.

Thanks both – he already has some Titan, and tonnes of the DVDs. We know someone who has shelves of One Piece too 🙂

Is that Battle Angel Alita, @Broker? I seem to remember that been advertised in Manga Mania (a short-lived UK publication that serialised Akira, Godzilla, etc, in the early 90s that I useed to enjoy).

If so, do you just start at volume 1?

I realise this is probably my last chance at introducing him to something he won't already know about. I'm conscious that trying to get him into Akira was a bit like if someone handing me a Led Zeppelin album when I was into grunge in the early 90s. Kids have got to find their own thing.

5 hours ago, Broker said:

Tell him to go in with low expectations for the ending though.

All part of growing up and learning the harsh realities of life (and committing to 33 volumes of a Manga)

On 22/09/2021 at 18:34, Twinbee said:

Is that Battle Angel Alita, @Broker? I seem to remember that been advertised in Manga Mania (a short-lived UK publication that serialised Akira, Godzilla, etc, in the early 90s that I useed to enjoy).

If so, do you just start at volume 1?

Yeah Battle Angel Alita. The first series is just called that, you start at the first volume. I think there’s collected editions available too. The second series is called Last Order, and the new one is Mars Chronicle, which is still ongoing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oooof. Chi no Wadachi / Blood On The Tracks is getting a bit intense. It's none of my business obviously but I'd love to know more about Oshimi Shuzo's relationship with his Mum :mellow:

4chan recommended Boys Abyss as a similar book but TBH it's half overblown melodrama and half harem bullshit. Dissapointing.

I've fallen down an etsy knockoff merch rabbithole today, look at this awesome badge of that little bastard Souichi.

il_794xN.3204882216_es3u.jpg