Jump to content

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, Flub said:

Happy and uplifting you say?

 

Komi Can't Communicate ticks both of those boxes.

I would recommend this as well.

 

Blue Flag is another title that should suit your wishes for something happier, the two volumes that have been published so far have been really fun to read.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/07/2020 at 16:13, Broker said:


What are your masterpieces? 

 

I'd be surprised if you hadn't already heard of / read some of these but:

 

Nausicaa:

 

Nausicaa-Manga-p1-1.jpg

 

It's Hayao Miyazaki channelling Moebius. Basically.

 

Tekkonkinkreet:

eaa9baa6bc3e81d4520abc478c49bd192fd8f4b4

Urban fantasy about two orphans who can fly for... reasons? Heavy doses of magical realism, beautiful artwork, full of heart.

 

Biomega:

 

maxresdefault.jpg

 

High concept SF action series. Sometimes it aims to break your mind with incredibly abstract action sequences. Sometimes it aims to break your mind with out of nowhere stabs of surrealist humour. Reads like a condensed re-examining of the themes and ideas from the artists earlier Blame! series which is also a masterpiece but if I had to recommend one of the two I'd side with this.

 

Blade Of The Immortal:

 

boiov1-550.jpg

 

Long running (but finished) samurai saga. Sometimes it's a tense period drama. Sometimes it's a psychological thriller. Sometimes it's an incredibly bloody martial arts comic. Sometimes it's inventive supernatural body horror. It can be a gruelling read and it occasionally tips over in to being out right nasty, but the art and the writing for almost the entire run are peerless (first few volumes are a little rough around the edges but still good).

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Blade of the immortal is due out in deluxe hardcover (October 7th). I may jump on those when they start arriving.

 

Currently slowly picking up the Berserk deluxe editions at the moment myself and they are very good indeed. 

 

Also buying up most of Junji Ito's collections at the moment.  And really enjoying revisiting those as well. As it's been years since I read them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cassidy said:

Blade of the immortal is due out in deluxe hardcover very soon I believe. I may jump on those when they start arriving. Currently slowly picking up the Berserk deluxe editions at the moment myself and their are very good indeed. 

 

Also buying up most of Junji Ito's collections at the moment.  And really enjoying revisiting those as well. As it's been years since I read them. 

I will be definitely picking up the deluxe editions of Blade of the Immortal as both the Berserk and Hellsing books are beautiful, I also just ordered the first volume of Biomega due to Matt’s recommendation.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would recommend anyone interested in Blade of the Immortal to hold out for the deluxe editions too, even if you don't normally go for hardbacks. Unfortunately over the past few years I bought the full set of the recent omnibus paperbacks as they were being released and they're... not good? Basically they're three of the original paperbacks in each omnibus, but with no editing or page order changes. So all the appendixes of the original paperbacks like the glossary, bonus art and gag comics about the artist are just slapped in the middle of the story instead of printed at the back.

 

Proper shitty.

 

I can't justify buying the whole series again (for some volumes it would be the fourth time! - the original run of floppies, the original paperback, then the omnibuses...).

 

I might console myself by buying all of Vinland Saga in hardback.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, wev said:

Are there other android apps other than the Shonun Jump one that publish weekly chapters?

Not legally no.

 

Shonen Jump is pretty awful these days too, while One Piece is still going, most of the other big series have ended recently and frankly all the new ones have either been shallow gag manga or have been cancelled after a few months.

 

Chainsaw Man is probably the only really good series that’s started in the last year or so, Jujutsu Kaisan is fairly popular but even that is so fucking generic and has been done so much better  many times already.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/07/2020 at 15:49, Charliemouse said:

It’s great for a Shonen Jump manga but compared to the real masterpieces in the genre, it’s merely just a really fun read.

 

As a huge fan of both Monster and 20th/21st Century Boys, and other works of Urasawa, I would still rank One Piece above both. 

 

If you ask me specifically why, I would really struggle to give you an objective answer, all three are great works.. I think what differentiates OP is that whilst Urasawa's aforementioned works are both excellent, One Piece is just in a league of its own with regards to how long it has maintained similar levels of excellent storytelling. I am still exited to read new OP chapters whereas, as much as I loved Monster for example, I can not imagine that story being stretched over decades of plots, arcs and build up.

 

I realise your post is from July, but its a questions I've asked myself plenty of times in the past.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Nomad said:

 

As a huge fan of both Monster and 20th/21st Century Boys, and other works of Urasawa, I would still rank One Piece above both. 

 

If you ask me specifically why, I would really struggle to give you an objective answer, all three are great works.. I think what differentiates OP is that whilst Urasawa's aforementioned works are both excellent, One Piece is just in a league of its own with regards to how long it has maintained similar levels of excellent storytelling. I am still exited to read new OP chapters whereas, as much as I loved Monster for example, I can not imagine that story being stretched over decades of plots, arcs and build up.

 

I realise your post is from July, but its a questions I've asked myself plenty of times in the past.

 

I have to be honest battle manga bores me to tears, Dragonball was just about tolerable as that ended after 16 volumes - I haven’t bothered with Z, as I don’t think I could read much more, but while I can appreciate the longevity of One Piece, I gave up after 10 volumes as it was already getting repetitive even then.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

I have to be honest battle manga bores me to tears, Dragonball was just about tolerable as that ended after 16 volumes - I haven’t bothered with Z, as I don’t think I could read much more, but while I can appreciate the longevity of One Piece, I gave up after 10 volumes as it was already getting repetitive even then.  

 

Fair enough. Its great that we have so much material to choose from, there is no point continuing if you did not enjoy it enough. 

 

I am a massive sucker for battle manga :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nomad said:

 

Fair enough. Its great that we have so much material to choose from, there is no point continuing if you did not enjoy it enough. 

 

I am a massive sucker for battle manga :D

Oh yeah, Manga’s best quality is the vast range of stories that being consistently published every week/month, though this is also a pain as I simply don’t have enough money to buy all the books I want to read.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shonen Manga is still a goto for me, as i do like the simplicity of it all.

 

That said i do like something abit more challenging from time to time, but seldom find anything to hold my interest.

 

I think the last thing i enjoyed that wasn't Shonen was the aforementioned 21st Century Boys and that was only because i had seen the first movie. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just started Komi-san-Wa-Komyushou-Desu and i'm hooked, i really like the way in which the artist is conveying Komi's emotions in such an old school way via the eyes and facial expressions and it's quite funny to boot. 

 

Wish i'd tried this sooner, it's a nice break from all the Shonen stuff i read. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Just started Komi-san-Wa-Komyushou-Desu and i'm hooked, i really like the way in which the artist is conveying Komi's emotions in such an old school way via the eyes and facial expressions and it's quite funny to boot. 

 

Wish i'd tried this sooner, it's a nice break from all the Shonen stuff i read. 

 

Is that the Japanese name for Komi Can't Communicate? It's my favourite manga of all time.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.