New Kodansha Manga Humble Bundle is up for the next 12 days  -

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/manga-to-anime-kodansha-books?hmb_source=humble_home&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=mosaic_section_1_layout_index_2_layout_type_threes_tile_index_1

This bundle is a Major find. Meet Major Motoko Kusanagi, Alita, Ichiro Inuyashiki, and a lineup of other memorable characters in a new manga bundle from Kodansha Comics. Explore The Ghost In The Shell Vol. 1-2, Battle Angel Alita Vol. 1 - 9, The Seven Deadly Sins Vol. 1-10, and more great stories that made the leap from manga to anime. Plus, score Humble exclusives The Ghost In The Shell: Global Neural Network preview and Battle Angel Alita wallpaper!

Ajin volumes 1 to 11 are also in the bundle.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not quite feeling Berserk anymore :(

It was a mesmerizing rollercoaster of gory and somewhat disturbing awesomeness right up until (spoiled in case anyone in here hasn't read it yet but intends to)

Spoiler

Griffith returns - even more boring and uninteresting than before!

From that point onwards (well, it already started to dip with the whole elf adventure a bit) Berserk transforms from an atmospheric monster hunt across an horrific European-like medieval fantasy setting, each opponent and location hiding a disturbing background story waiting to be uncovered and subsequently smashed to pulp by Guts' huge and unreasonable sword, into 'yet another straightforward manga'(tm).

The dude in my spoiler is now basically Freeza, or rather a boring version of him, and he even brings along his own stereotypical Ginyu force who are introduced in that stereotypical way. Guts himself now has travel companions who are each nowhere near as interesting as any of the characters introduced during the Golden Age stories. It's all gone a bit Journey to the West, one of the two tropes I think of when I think of 'manga by the numbers' (the other being a martial arts tournament, preferably one that spans at least five honking volumes), and the new characters fit that tired, predictable concept by being just as tired and predictable.

I'm now at the point that Guts received his own version of a -sigh- Super Saiyan upgrade. On top of that, Miura also just spent an entire volume explaining what is magic, how is magic, and why is magic. Fascinating that you really put some thought into it dude, but it does not make for an interesting read.

There are still moments of brilliance which keep me interested in seeing whether the series will turn it back around at some point, and to be honest overall it's still decent. It's just disappointing that it went from brilliant and unique to 'merely good standard manga fare'. Most telling is that there has been nothing Souls-like to be found since the spoilered thing happened, all the excellent inspiration that the Souls games drew from Miura were (so far) all from the earlier stuff.

Hoping it picks up again, but I worry that Guts will stumble across a martial arts tournament in the next volume! :lol:

After the trolls and magic and other fairy tales side quests, it looks like Berserk has picked up steam again! The demon city is great, the new main side villain is great, and Gutsuuuu is back to slicing up disturbing beasts in disgusting ways.

I still don't like Isidro (do we really need TWO comedy sidekicks?! Puck fulfills the exact same role!) or Schierke* (like Griffith, aka Mr. Boring McBore, she feels like she came wandering in out of a completely different manga genre) though.

Overall it's back in form and I couldn't resist buying the recent Berserk musou game. I'm playing Berserk and afterwards reading Berserk! And loving it even though the game is mediocre to be brutally honest. It also uses the aforementioned newer CGI anime as its cutscenes (or should I say 'Guts-scenes'! Haha get it? ... I'll get me coat) and either it has been edited in such a way for the game, or the anime is really tame compared to the manga.

*Edit: instead of the stereotypical chibby anime girl infatuated with rough and though male main character, I would much rather have had her teacher - the older witch - as their traveling companion. 

Damn, just volume 38 left in Berserk. It's been quite a ride! Bit sad that I have to stop reading and start waiting like everyone else. So I checked Wikipedia and whadyaknow - it lists Berserk vol 39 for July 11th 2018! :D

More Berserk :omg:

Are there any other manga similar to either this or the original Alita run that are of a similar quality? Someone once recommended Blame! but I couldn't even get past the start of the first volume - it was less a comic and more a bunch of movie storyboard images stitched together.... Not for me, sadly - unless it drastically changes up later on of course. Berserk also didn't get going until three or so volumes in 

On 25/06/2018 at 16:52, The Eagle Lord said:

Anyone else read Vinland Saga?

I am about 15 chapters in and even though i'm a big Vikings fan there is just something about this series that appeals, and nice art too boot.

Yeah it's genuinely excellent, there's a point where the story kind of changes direction and it's incredibly brave and interesting.

On 08/07/2018 at 10:54, Mr. Gerbik said:

Damn, just volume 38 left in Berserk. It's been quite a ride! Bit sad that I have to stop reading and start waiting like everyone else. So I checked Wikipedia and whadyaknow - it lists Berserk vol 39 for July 11th 2018! :D

More Berserk :omg:

Are there any other manga similar to either this or the original Alita run that are of a similar quality? Someone once recommended Blame! but I couldn't even get past the start of the first volume - it was less a comic and more a bunch of movie storyboard images stitched together.... Not for me, sadly - unless it drastic change up later on of course. Berserk also didn't get going until three or so volumes in 

As mentioned above, Vinland Saga is absolutely amazing.

4 minutes ago, Broker said:

As mentioned above, Vinland Saga is absolutely amazing.

Yeah, I've seen it described as "genuinely excellent"somewhere :D Thanks for the recommendation. I've googled it and the artwork looks absolutely stunning, its style (at  first glance) sitting in sort of like a halfway point between Blade of the Immortal* and Berserk. And the setting is great, something really different from what I think of as typical manga! Looking forward to it :)

Imho genuinely the most beautifully drawn manga I've ever seen. It's more akin to genuine art than 'mere' comic book panels.

Edit edit: it sucks having to wait for a new Berserk and Griffith did EVERYTHING wrong

Waiting for Berserk is the worst, I read through it for the first time last year not thinking to check if a series that started in the fucking eighties or something would still be running. Caught up and it totally got me off guard, and only then did I read all about the misery of reading it. Between that and Battle Angel Mars Chronicle I've got two series on the go that are published on a schedule of sometimes. The last chapter with no dialogue was a bit much.

I'll have to check out Blade of the Immortal, it looks gorgeous. I assume you've checked out Attack on Titan already? It's got a bit of a weird pace but overall it's an interesting read.

On 12/07/2018 at 21:19, Broker said:

I assume you've checked out Attack on Titan already? It's got a bit of a weird pace but overall it's an interesting read

I bought the first volume a while ago - way before I dove head first into Berserk - just because it seemed to be everywhere and very popular, but it didn't click with me. It felt like a series that probably works way better as an anime, but maybe that's just me. Since then I have been meaning to give the anime a go, but I notice that for some reason I just don't have much patience to sit and watch television these days! No such problems with comics, books, or games but for some reason outside of a movie theater I find it very hard not to get distracted watching whatever on the telly.

I'm also still a loyal Alita fan who keeps buying that goddamn manga even though I thought Last Order was well shit. To me Alita is the original 9 volumes with the original ending. I'm subscribed to Mars Chronicle but since I'm not really invested in the story, everything after the original 9 volumes is more like a non-canon alternative story to me, and as such I don't mind the schedule of sometimes at all. No such luck with Berserk though! It's damn frustrating, especially because it doesn't feel like the story is anywhere near finishing. I bet we'll continue to put up with Miura's schedule for at least 4 or 5 decades more before Guts gets his revenge - if he ever does.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Pixelbark said:

I hope you've all been reading "The Promised neverland". Because you should all be reading it. It's been brilliant so far, and not akin to any other series in WSJ at all. That's all I'm going to say, because anything else would be a spoiler, 

It's on my to-read list once I finish a few of the series I am reading right now.

Planetes was the last manga I read and that was fucking incredible, right now I am reading, Monster, Vagabond, VInland Saga and Battle Angel Alita.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

Any truly scary horror manga anyone can recommend? I’ve already read Uzumaki, which was creepy and amusing in equal measure.

Have you read any other Junji Ito? He's done quite a bit. The Enigma of Amigara Fault is a short one-shot of his that I really enjoyed. Long Dream is another that's alright. Glyceride has to be mentioned just for that panel.