Manga

Headache

I've just finished the first omnibus edition of Lone Wolf and Cub, knowing nothing about it before hand. I caught a glimpse of it in Waterstones a few months ago, and thought it looked quite mature and restrained compared to other manga of its type (although I don't have much experience with manga). I do like anything set in Tokugawa period Japan though, so was suitably piqued by the premise of Lone Wolf.

It's absolutely bloody amazing. Although the first volume is just a series of vignettes, you really feel for both Ogami's situation and the way he conducts himself day to day. That bit where a couple of girls playing in the street prompts him to remember the time he asked his son Daigoro to choose between the sword and the kids' ball was more moving than a comic has any right to be. And loved the episode where he is forced to kill his contemporary and fellow ronin who wants him to reconsider his choice of livelihood.

Really powerful, addictive stuff. I started the first chapter of the second omnibus this morning and see that it's a flashback to when Ogami was employed by the shogunate! *shivers* Gonna save it for later!

Netflix are doing a 'Knights of Sidonia' anime!!

Marathoned the first eight episodes of this. It's good! Pretty faithful and the battles are much easier to understand.

Photosynthesis seems to be a convenient excuse to draw naked girls though :|

[edit] I accidentally the whole series

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ooh, after what feels like 40 years, the Ippo vs Gonzales fight is finally over.

Massive spoiler:

Ippo lost; which means 5 years of excruciating soul searching, back-to-basics, back-to-basics before anything actually happens. At this rate my one-year-old will be married before Ippo becomes World Champion.

The original eh? Well about that....

I discovered that website not long after my post. I think Onepunch-Man is a pretty inspirational manga (and I'm not just talking about the stories message about hard work), the art work isn't great but someone put a lot of work into it and has been given something of a break for his efforts. it's the kind of thing that gives me some confidence about my own art ability (I have an A-Level in fine art but my ability is pretty limited).

Anyway I love how in the remake the artist still makes Saitama look as basic as possible so it doesn't stray too far from the style of the original work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...