Headache

Manga

I just bought myself a year digital sub to Shonen Jump. When they change to a Netflix model next week and open up the entire back catalogue I'll get an extra three months free. 24.99 for over a year's access to all that? Bargain.

I’ve just signed up for the Shonen Jump subscription as well. Not read anything from them before I think but £2 a month is kind of insane and worth a punt.

So as a manga virgin (I read Akira years ago but that’s about it) what should I start with for Shonen stuff?

9 minutes ago, Untogether said:

I’ve just signed up for the Shonen Jump subscription as well. Not read anything from them before I think but £2 a month is kind of insane and worth a punt.

So as a manga virgin (I read Akira years ago but that’s about it) what should I start with for Shonen stuff?

One Piece.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Charliemouse said:

One Piece.

Funnily enough I'm living in Bangkok for work for a bit and I've just been doing some Christmas shopping at Terminal 21, a mainstream shopping centre, and there's a store in there almost totally commited to One Piece merchandise which even for this town is an oddity. 

I've seen on the app they have Death Note as well so I'll be hitting that but aside from One Piece and Death Note are some of the other really long running series like Bleach and Dragon Ball worth a look?  Any slice of life or sports series that stand out?  I want to try a varied range of stuff.

32 minutes ago, Untogether said:

Funnily enough I'm living in Bangkok for work for a bit and I've just been doing some Christmas shopping at Terminal 21, a mainstream shopping centre, and there's a store in there almost totally commited to One Piece merchandise which even for this town is an oddity. 

I've seen on the app they have Death Note as well so I'll be hitting that but aside from One Piece and Death Note are some of the other really long running series like Bleach and Dragon Ball worth a look?  Any slice of life or sports series that stand out?  I want to try a varied range of stuff.

Death Note is great until the halfway point and then it just becomes tediously repetitive. Bleach I have heard starts off great but loses it way near the end, I have never read Dragon Ball but I have only ever head good things about it.

Slam Dunk and Eyeshield 21 are two great sport titles.

My other current favourite Shounen title is The Promised Neverland, the art is beautiful and the premise is quite unique for a Shounen manga as quite honestly, an awful lot of them are very similar in plot structure and theme.

• Upvote 2

I was going to recommend Eyeshield 21, and Slam Dunk is another excellent choice.

Don't go for Bleach, it's great to start with, but loses itself in an increasingly ridiculously repetitive cycle of bigger and bader boss fights that gets really boring after a while.

You can't do better than One Piece for solid Shonen fair, and for something a little different with a great self-contained story, Bakuman is something I highly recommend.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Flub said:

Do any of the Japanese Shojou magazines get English releases?

I don't think so, though I have to admit I have never read any Shojou manga yet.  My list of to-read books is large enough as it is.