Sega Nomad, Value?.

jon bda

Can I be the kill-joy bastard that suggests you spend the £100+ on a nice Mega Drive setup? I can? Excellent!

Seriously, though, it's worth thinking about if you haven't already. Nomads eat batteries, and the screen isn't too hot by today's standards... At best you'll be carrying the thing between plug-sockets. At worst you'll resort to plugging in a SCART, pad, and power supply, then using it as a bloody expensive MD. :)

On the other hand, if you've already got a sexy MD collection something like this certainly finishes it off nicely. Can't deny it's a bloody desirable piece of hardware, too, and one that seems to be getting harder to find in mint condition... It's just not the most practical bit of kit.

Can I be the kill-joy bastard that suggests you spend the £100+ on a nice Mega Drive setup? I can? Excellent!

Seriously, though, it's worth thinking about if you haven't already. Nomads eat batteries, and the screen isn't too hot by today's standards... At best you'll be carrying the thing between plug-sockets. At worst you'll resort to plugging in a SCART, pad, and power supply, then using it as a bloody expensive MD. ;)

On the other hand, if you've already got a sexy MD collection something like this certainly finishes it off nicely. Can't deny it's a bloody desirable piece of hardware, too, and one that seems to be getting harder to find in mint condition... It's just not the most practical bit of kit.

I own a MD + MegaCD, plus a MD II and MegaCD II, 32x and Master System adaptor already...i just fancied the Nomad because i don't have one :P. I wasn't sure on the price but was certain i had seen them lower somewhere...i just can't find the place!.

:)

I own a MD + MegaCD, plus a MD II and MegaCD II, 32x and Master System adaptor already...i just fancied the Nomad because i don't have one ;). I wasn't sure on the price but was certain i had seen them lower somewhere...i just can't find the place!.

Ah... It sounds like your collection desperately needs a Nomad. :P

The Master System converter... Now there's something I've not seen in ages! In fact, I don't think I've seen one in the flesh since 'back in the day.' I remember a mate's clueless/stingy parents buying him the 8-bit port of Castle Of Illusion instead of the MD version, their reasoning being that if they both worked on his shiny new MD then there couldn't be any real difference. Needless to say he was gutted.

Ah... It sounds like your collection desperately needs a Nomad. :)

The Master System converter... Now there's something I've not seen in ages! In fact, I don't think I've seen one in the flesh since 'back in the day.' I remember a mate's clueless/stingy parents buying him the 8-bit port of Castle Of Illusion instead of the MD version, their reasoning being that if they both worked on his shiny new MD then there couldn't be any real difference. Needless to say he was gutted.

I'm gonna play Op.Wolf, with the phaser, on my powerbase convertor, after MOTD...

The Master System converter... Now there's something I've not seen in ages! In fact, I don't think I've seen one in the flesh since 'back in the day.'

msconverter.jpg

Picked that up for £3 at my local car boot...off a trader no less!. Also had another here that i flogged on with a spare Megadrive...it was unboxed though...

You know what I'd like more than anything in the whole world?

A picture of Sonic 3 plugged into Sonic and Knuckles, plugged into a 32X, plugged into a Mega Drive, plugged into a Mega CD. Preferably with someone playing the whole mess using an Activator. Bonus points if they're holding a Menacer, too. :)

This thread is making me wish I never parted with my own MD collection. Sometimes emulation just doesn't cut it.

Argh... Bollocks. That's it. I'm going booting tomorrow morning if there's anything on. :)

Chances of me finding a bargain like that: ~1 in a million.

Its the only one i've seen in about 18 months of booting mate, the same goes for the boxed MegaCD II i have!. The MegaCD i bought was unboxed though...

01.jpg

02.jpg

...paid £8 for that lot i think, that was the first MegaCD i've seen as well...

;)

I'm sure there are more copies of Sol Feace than there are MegaCD units in existence.  Same goes for Sega Worldwide Soccer '97 and Sega Saturns.

Hehe, i've bought Megadrives and games bundles before now with copies of Sol Feace even though theres been no Mega CD hardware present...

:D

Mine is in awesome condition, won it on videogameauctions.co.uk for £82. I wouldn't pay more than £100 for it. There's been one in my local Gamestation at £154.99 for so long now that they've replaced the sticker because the price faded.

• 8 years later...

Mega old bump. Was considering selling my Nomad as it hasn't been used in years and checked ebay.Has anyone else seen the Nomad auctions on ebay lately? constantly fetching well above £200 for a boxed unit and even unboxed units are nearly hitting the £150 mark. Is there any reason for the sudden high prices?

Mega old bump. Was considering selling my Nomad as it hasn't been used in years and checked ebay.Has anyone else seen the Nomad auctions on ebay lately? constantly fetching well above £200 for a boxed unit and even unboxed units are nearly hitting the £150 mark. Is there any reason for the sudden high prices?

That's pretty good news, I have one with the battery pack thingy, all boxed up that I am not using, off to eBay it goes, need to help fund the new car purchase :)

Cool, I'll be back over the old house where it is stored tomorrow, will get it out and check it over / get some pics up, picking up the new car this evening and will want to take it for a drive, so seems like an ideal idea :)