Mcdonalds Breakfast ( Sausage & Egg ) Muffin

JPickford (retired mod)

I had an ace idea for the egg.

Get an empty tin can (beans or something) that's been washed.  Put in a few drops of water and put it directly on the hotplate.  When the water is boiling,  crack an egg in there and let it cook.

It nearly worked but it was hard to get the egg out.  I think I might try again with a half height can.    The egg was the correct shape before it broke.

Haven't had one for ages - are the egg yolks hardish?

If so easy way to do it is use a mug with quarter full of water. Crack egg in and stick in microwave for a couple minutes.

If so easy way to do it is use a mug with quarter full of water. Crack egg in and stick in microwave for a couple minutes.

Yeah, they aren't runny. I'll try the microwave idea.

The Scottish Square Sausage was pretty good BTW. Nothing like McDonalds but nice enough in its own right. I'll probably buy them again.

You fry them from frozen which is pretty convenient. I love proper sausages but they take at least 1 hour to cook properly.

I swear they drug Sausage and Egg McMuffins. When I lived with my mate about ten years ago we tried everything to recreate them but never quite perfected it. Hmmm, think I might get up 15 minutes early in the morning and nip into McD's at The Galleria.

I was going to suggest similar: put a bit of oil in the bottom of a mug (makes the egg easier to get out), crack the egg in and add a touch of water. Cover the top of the mug with a paper towel to stop splatterage and microwave for 1-2 minutes depending how runny you like your yolks.

Search on www.betterware.co.uk for their microwave egg poacher.

£1.99 and it does them exactly like the mcdonalds ones, without the need of cutting up a tin can like some deranged tramp.

Actually I think Asda do them for about a quid too.

We have one, the eggs are the same as McDonald's ones - end of.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok McMuffin update :

I ordered one of the betterware egg poachers and this morning was test day 1.

Shop had no sausage meat (i decided im going to make my own patties as i have a burger press) and i forgot muffins.

So today (TD1) i tried the eggs to have on toast. Result is perfect for McMuffins ;) Will need to experiment with cooking times and maybe try a little more water but they taasted spot on and are perfect Muffin size :P

Will try the shop today for sausage meat + muffins.

I've never heard of a burger press. Do you have a link?

EDIT:  http://www.cookability.biz/Kitchen_Craft_B...Press/b_465.htm

I'm skeptical that normal sausage meat will taste like a McSausage.

Thats the kinda burger press i have, looks different but does the same job.

Im not sure on the sausage meat but didnt Macc D have an advert where they said it was just Sausage meat with seasoning ??

May pop down shops in a mo to try and get some !

JP - made my sausage patties.

I went for

Sausage meat

sage

Salt + pepper.

Mixed around and rolled into balls an flattened.

Fried in pan for a few mins each side.

Now wasnt quite the maccy d taste but they where bloody lovelly with the eggs.

However i didnt have any rubber cheese - maybe buy some of the slices in plastic individual things for that autentic taste.

The whole thing was v nice - like a classier take on the s+e mcmuffin.

Excellent reasearch chaps, I applaud your dedication to the Maccy D's brekkie.

Sausage + Egg + Muffin + Maccy's special taste = heaven imho. I'll be trying this out tomorrow morning but it'll be with sausage patties created by my own fair hand.

I'll let you all know how my attempt goes. I'm sure it'll still taste pretty damn good.

Right did them again today.

Main thing to report is the egg thing is going, too much hassle - 1 cooks more than the other and with the wife and child wanting McShimmy muffins its far to much hassle.

So im going to get one of those pans that poaches eggs - frying pan with 4 ickle egg holder things in them. My wife says her nan had one and they worked well.

Other point is that i think the cheese is a big player in the taste stakes, i have my patties down now but something is missing. Going to pick up some plastic cheese and give that a bash with the new egg method !

Getting close tho :P

Well here we go again !

I didnt get a proper egg poaching pan type thing. Instead i got one of these :

unbranded-egg-poacher.jpg

It goes into a saucepan or microwave - i used the pan method with water. All i suggest is that you dont bother with this either - it worked ok and certinally tasted much better than the microwave jobbie but it was very messey and a complete arse to clean.

Im going to get a proper pan poaching thing like this :

rewards_048.jpg

This thread inspired me to do some research and experimentation.

2 problems though: as I'm from Holland, they don't serve sausage mcmuffins over here, so I have no reference. Only the bacon ones.

And english muffins aren't widely available over here.

So far for poaching the eggs I find that the mug and microwave way (as posted by horribleman) works fine.

Bacon, no problem.

Aldi cheddar for the cheese.

Muffins are substituted by 'beschuitbollen'.

Oh and my research bumped into this :ph34r:

...Love the flash movie.

Gonna try making patties from plain sausages next week. See how that tastes.

Ages ago, I bought 2 utensils from morrisons. They were like metal, non-stick coated tubes, with handles. Imagine a tuna can with no top or bottom, with a handle. Non stick coated. I thought these would be ideal for McDonald's style eggs.

I used them once, the eggs were great. Then after about 3 hours of soaking a scrubbing, I admitted defeat and threw them away. Whatever the coating was, it served no purpose whatsoever, and the egg just would not come off.

Man i want one of those egg & muffin toasters :(

if you want to buy any of the egg boiler things

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...5568559-8094857

That is the 2 egg one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...5568559-8094857

Thats the 4 egg one

They also have a 6 cup one, but your not going to need that unless you're a fast bastard.

Can someone explain to me what's so amazing about this thing? I don't think I've ever tried one.

Step one: Go to the pub to watch the football, say that your only staying for the game.

Step two: After two pints decide that you could stay out a bit longer

Step three: Return home steaming drunk and pass out in bed

Step four: Wake up late, head to work feeling like shit

Step five: Stop at McDs, Order a sausage and egg muffin meal, with orange juice

Step six: Place hash brown inside muffin and eat, then down juice

Step seven: Enjoy the rest of your day.

Step one: Go to the pub to watch the football, say that your only staying for the game.

Step two: After two pints decide that you could stay out a bit longer

Step three: Return home steaming drunk and pass out in bed

Step four: Wake up late, head to work feeling like shit

Step five: Stop at McDs, Order a sausage and egg muffin meal, with orange juice

Step six: Place hash brown inside muffin and eat, then down juice

Step seven: Enjoy the rest of your day.

Thats perfect !

You may remember me from such posts as "Why don't they do sausage AND bacon in the same muffin!?!?!?" and "FAF's the bestest LOLZ!".

After complaining to the forum about not being able to have a sausage, bacon and egg muffin, I followed someone's advice of asking for a double sausage meal, and ask them to replace one of the sausages with bacon. After much deliberation the "I seem to enjoy this job far more than is really possible" waiter-cum-cashier-cum-chef dude saw the light and said to me the magic words "I'll just ask the manager". Who said "Ok".

MUFFIN GET!