Mcdonalds Breakfast ( Sausage & Egg ) Muffin

JPickford (retired mod)

I'd love to be able to recreate a Sausage & Egg McMuffin. I just love them.

The muffin & the plastic cheese are easy enough to source.

I can take or leave the egg. But for the sake of accuracy what would you call it? Fried? Poached? Can you buy little doofers to make egg like that?

Any idea how to create the 'sausage' patty? I've tried making a burger from pork mince but it was rubbish.

I think it was wickedkitten who mentioned that iceland sell sausage thats very similar to maccies saausage.

The eggs are fried and paoched at the same time, they are put onto a grill in round holders, then have a lid placed ontop with a funnel of water.

You can buy round egg holders, just forgo the water part, either that or throw it in a pan of boiling water.

I think it was wickedkitten who mentioned that iceland sell sausage thats very similar to maccies saausage.

The eggs are fried and paoched at the same time, they are put onto a grill in round holders, then have a lid placed ontop with a funnel of water.

You can buy round egg holders, just forgo the water part, either that or throw it in a pan of boiling water.

Yeah, its the iceland cumberland sausage burgers, and you can do the egg easy if you have a metal scone cutter thing, just put it into the pan, crack the egg into it and let it cook.

Cheers.  I'll check out Iceland.  I think they deliver actually.

EDIT: Looks like they only deliver if you actually go into the store and ask for delivery of what you buy.  What is the point of that? 

Ah well there's one quite close by I'll investigate tomorrow.

Not enough people were using the web delivery so they got rid of it.

You can get these silver ring things you put in frying pans to make eggs nice and round and thick. I'm pretty sure they poach theirs though. Maybe look for a suitable poacher.

I have a ring thing, but find it doesn't work that well, egg seeps out the bottom!

SO, I bought a mini frying pan, it's tiny and perfect size for eggs around the muffin size.

Funny you made this thread actually, for the past few days I've been trying to perfect it. I use bacon instead of sausage though, not seen a decent way of doing sausage for it yet.

Jeez, how sad do I sound :P

Will do.  Quite excited by the prospect actually.

I had a maccy D for brekkie this morning - for research purposes you know :)

How about if i use my egg things in the pan but use water instead of oil - would this give me the fried/poached method we are after ??

Im also excited

I'd love to do this (it would save 9am Sunday mercy dashes when my wife has a hangover) but all the Icelands round our way seem to have closed down :(

You need to buy compartmented polystyrene trays too, as they are part of the overall flavour.

They come wrapped in grease-proof paper you nub.

This is where you tell me that you wouldn't step into a MaccyD's if you were on fire and they had an offer on putting out fires, right? Yeah, I know. :(

The gf and I tried to recreate these late last year, and experimented with the egg. We had metal egg things, but like Soong we found that it seeped out of the bottom. We tried both frying with oil and water, and found the oil to be better.

For the patty we used Tesco's sausagemeat, it was okay. We have decided to stick to buying them in McD's now anyway, as it ensures we get up reasonably early on a Sunday, plus I get to have her hash brown (which I haven't ever found a reasonable substitute for anyway).

Buy a double sausage and egg muffin meal. Put the hashbrown in the muffin. Eat it. Savour that unbelievable taste sensation that not only is the nicest thing you have ever eaten, but also tastes absolutely nothing like the component parts. Can you explain how that happens?

Buy a double sausage and egg muffin meal.  Put the hashbrown in the muffin.  Eat it.  Savour that unbelievable taste sensation that not only is the nicest thing you have ever eaten, but also tastes absolutely nothing like the component parts.  Can you explain how that happens?

Lots and lots of MSG.

Cheers.  I'll check out Iceland.  I think they deliver actually.

EDIT: Looks like they only deliver if you actually go into the store and ask for delivery of what you buy.  What is the point of that? 

It helps with the old people market (can't drive or carry loads of bags, and lack the internet). My gran shops there cos of the delivery thing, even though she's closer to a Morrisons.

It helps with the old people market (can't drive or carry loads of bags, and lack the internet). My gran shops there cos of the delivery thing, even though she's closer to a Morrisons.

old people my arse, I'm sure as hell not carrying loads of bags up a giant hill to our flat.

And for all the people on about hash browns, you can get those from a supermarket as well.

I am quite partial to the Sausage & Egg McMuffins.

I want to try this out, now. Luckily we have an Iceland close by, so I'll have to check if they have those sausage things. I'm reckoning on poaching the egg, then chucking it in the frying pan for a mo. That should get the closest effect, I think.

I had an ace idea for the egg.

Get an empty tin can (beans or something) that's been washed. Put in a few drops of water and put it directly on the hotplate. When the water is boiling, crack an egg in there and let it cook.

It nearly worked but it was hard to get the egg out. I think I might try again with a half height can. The egg was the correct shape before it broke.