The Perfect Cd For A Hip-hop Virgin

kthxbliz

Words can't express how disappointed I am that no right thinking forumite has suggested this so far.

019epmd.jpg

Pure hip-hop. Right there.

Good choice though Business as usual is my fav Epmd album though Business never personal does contain Headbanger and Crossover which are 2 of my fav Epmd tracks.

Good choice though Business as usual is my fav Epmd album though Business never personal does contain Headbanger and Crossover which are 2 of my fav Epmd tracks.

Also Chill, Boon Dox and Who Killed Jane

Business As Usual their weakest album by some distance IMO (bar the appalling Out of Business obviously).

EPMD - Business as usual.

A Mindblowing LP featuring the fantastic....

I'm Mad (esp. for this).

A fast tempo'd piano loop, beastie boys samples for the chorus, scratching and no shit vocals.

One of the best 'primers' to a Hip hop LP. When it first came out, it must have been the first LP's to have 4 consecutive Hardcore tracks.

Also....

For my people (Streetbeats 8 with have this mixed with the BGee's Staying Alive.).

Jane 3

Give The People

Hit Squad Heist

And Funky Piano

Or UMC's - Critical Beatdown (of course).

The whole LP still blows shit away with its Star Wars and Empire Strikes back samples.

I'd go with Business As Usual being the best EPMD album too. It's flawless.

Let's take it to the stage, sucka!

Yeah the great Cal agrees with me. :(

Its the best album as there is no filler which the 1st 2 Epmd albums have plenty off IMO and it has the best Jane track on it too.

And I almost forgot Redman makes his 1st apperance too and his verse on Hardcore is one of his best.

EPMD - Business as usual.

A Mindblowing LP featuring the fantastic....

I'm Mad (esp. for this).

A fast tempo'd piano loop, beastie boys samples for the chorus, scratching and no shit vocals.

One of the best 'primers' to a Hip hop LP. When it first came out, it must have been the first LP's to have 4 consecutive Hardcore tracks.

Also....

For my people (Streetbeats 8 with have this mixed with the BGee's Staying Alive.).

Jane 3

Give The People

Hit Squad Heist

And Funky Piano

Great highlights all, but you forgot to mention the classic LL collaboration 'Rampage,' and my own personal favourite EPMD track, the Love Unlimited Orchestra-sampling 'Manslaughter.'

Also, excuse the pedantry, but UMC's is a group completely different to Ultramagnetic MC's, who made Critical Beatdown. UMC's were Hass G and Kool Kim and had nothing to do with Ultramagnetic. Have some crap graphics for your troubles :(

SCHOOL1.GIF

But, yeah, Critical Beatdown is an alternative classic that should be in any hip-hop fan's collection. It's on some real other shit.

Yeah the great Cal agrees with me.

Yeah, but aren't you perplexed and troubled that the don esar has a difference in opinion? :P

Nah, I'm not too bothered. Strictly Business is classic too, but I agree with you that it has a wee bit of filler. The DJ cut doesn't do much for me these days. Same goes for the DJ cut 'Chinese Arithmetic' on Eric B & Rakim's Paid In Full, another otherwise classic album. I just don't think those primitive (compared to the latter day turntable ninjas we have now) DJ cuts have aged too well, but that's just a personal opinion.

EDIT: Just remembered 'You're A Customer' off Strictly Business. That's one of my favourite no-thrills, straight down the line hardcore rhymer's type beats, you know? That could well be my favourite EPMD track now that I think about it. Or maybe it's I'm Housin', also from Strictly Business. Hmm, esar could have a point...

Thats got a nice dark sound to it too. They use something else over the sample though don't they?

Some errie string/bell chord sample over the break.

Don't agree about the whole LP though. I don't think stands the test of time like their 3rd LP.

Something from the West coast as well - Straight Outta Compton (obvious) or Cubes' AmeriKKKa's most wanted as that mixed up some real funny shit along with some superb production although they don't have the rawness of EPMD, or the Ultramagnetics.

Yeah, it sounds like a big frosty, atmospheric chime over the loop. I think it could well be from nuff-sampled (because it has so many diverse sections) Loran's Dance by Idris Muhammad. You know that song? The sleazy intro was sampled famously on the Beastie Boys intro for Paul's Boutique, while more light-hearted, uptempo jazzy moments wound up on 'Push It Along' by A Tribe Called Quest.

I'm not 100% sure if that's where the chime for 'Brothers On My Jock' came from, but it sounds like it could well be. It might even be likely that it was simply lifted from another part of 'Nautilus.' It sorta sounds David Axelrod-y too.

Arguing over EPMD albums is pointless, the first 3 are all straight up classics!

Good call on Amerikkka's Most Wanted AB.

Also the 2nd NWA album has aged surprisingly well.

w0rrrrrd. The first 3 EPMD joints have interchangeable "Best EPMD Album" status. I think Strictly Business has some of the stronger individual songs, while As Usual has the higher level of consistency. It's all that kind of thing going on.

And do you mean Efil4zaggin when you say N.W.A.'s second album? I ask because I know they had some sort of compilation before Straight Outta Compton. If you do mean Efil4zaggin, let me agree completely. It's one of the old albums that I return to regularly for heavy rotation purposes. I think it features Dr Dre's absolutely best production from his career. Just so tough and funky, with a couple more experimental straight-from-the-underground type moments.

I'd probably give them a copy of Hello Nasty, loads of different styles and 'I'm intercontinental 'cos I eat french toast' amuses everyone the first time they hear it. Also it has a couple of tracks like 'Intergalactic' and '3 MC's' which they'll likely have heard somewhere before. And the lyrics are easier to make out on a first listen than with many other hip-hip artists.

41J4DSH8NZL._AA240_.jpg

Also, the interplay between the 3 of them will smash them in their faces after a while once they realise how utterly mad and skilful it is. I mean, just check out 'The Move'.

I would say some Dre, maybe 2001, but it's likely to offend as many people as it would attract.

200px-DrDre-2001.jpg

Done by the Forces of Nature is one of those often overlooked albums (from what I can see), which is odd because it really is a classic. The instrumental stuff on there was years ahead of its time.

Not sure its the best album to give a noob though (someone must have mentioned 3Feet High?), but it would be amongst the second batch to give them once they came back for more.

Wow nice coincidence EPMD has come up, I upped something as a treat for any newcomers to older hiphop.

I've been in an EPMD mood all day, here's something for anyone who hasn't come across EPMD.

You're A Customer/It's My Thing - 1987 12"

http://www.sendspace.com/file/i28uhr

"MCs out there, you better stand clear........."

So good and they made it at such a young age, although considering age Rakim must've been genius level to be writing those rhymes at high school age.

At the Ambassador's reception, :

Monsieur yuen_woo_king, with this Ferrero Rocher you're really spoiling us!

Nah I just like sharing. When I was lurking these boards I never once came to the Music folder so I like being amongst fellow music fans.

:lol:

ps- I'd love an Oink invite if anyone can help. I didn't register when they started up and then they closed doors. :lol:

• 5 months later...
  • 13 years later...
On 09/02/2006 at 15:21, Hoodedclaw said:

http://www.discogs.com/image/R-187654-001.jpg

im gunning for this - out and out the best comp u could ever buy - mixed to perfection by Prime Cuts

Covers most era's and that - never tire of hearing it - altho finding a copy on CD now is gonna be hard

1-01 Showbiz & A.G. Party Groove

1-02 Mantronix King Of The Beats

1-03 Jurassic 5 Jayou

1-04 Jungle Brothers Straight Out Of The Jungle

1-05 Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five The Message

1-06 Eric B & Rakim I Know You Got Soul

1-07 Digital Underground The Humpty Dance

1-08 Run DMC Peter Piper

1-09 EPMD I'm Housing

1-10 Cash Money & Marvelous The Mighty Hard Rocker

1-11 Big Daddy Kane Raw

1-12 Man Parrish Hip Hop Bebop

1-13 Herbie Hancock Rockit

1-14 Sugar Bear Don't Scandalize Mine

1-15 De La Soul Eye Know

1-16 Stetsasonic Talkin' All That Jazz

1-17 Gang Starr Jazz Thing

1-18 A Tribe Called Quest Award Tour

1-19 Ultramagnetic MC's Ego Trippin'

1-20 Biz Markie Make The Music With Your Mouth

1-21 Public Enemy Rebel Without A Pause

1-22 MC Shan The Bridge

2-01 Afrika Bambaataa & Soulsonic Force Planet Rock

2-02 De La Soul The Magic Number

2-03 Sugarhill Gang Rapper's Delight

2-04 Kurtis Blow The Breaks

2-05 Chubb Rock Treat 'Em Right

2-06 Boogie Down Productions Jack Of Spades

2-07 Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.)

2-08 Gang Starr Just To Get A Rep

2-09 Big Daddy Kane Ain't No Half-Steppin'

2-10 Common Resurrection

2-11 Beastie Boys Hold It Now, Hit It

2-12 Brand Nubian Slow Down

2-13 KRS-One Sound Of Da Police

2-14 Big Kwam Verbalise (Spinna Mix)

2-15 Beatnuts, The No Equal

2-16 Biz Markie Vapors

2-17 Main Source Live At The BBQ

2-18 Souls Of Mischief '93 Till Infinity

2-19 45 King, The The 900 Number