rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
kthxbliz

The Perfect Cd For A Hip-hop Virgin

Me and my man were having a discussion there. Imagine some dude is all like "Hip-hop? What's that?" what CD would you instantly advise him to check out? Obviously you'd want something that gives a varied representation of different kinds of hip-hop. Surely a compilation would do that but that's, err, against the rules. So get diggin' in the crates and recommend the definitive starting point for a hip-hop n00b.

No single album sums up the entire genre, but strangely I feel there are certain individual songs that do it well. 'The 6th Sense' by Common sums up exactly everything about hip-hop that's good. The fact that it's produced by DJ Premier, arguably the man behind that generic (for want of a better word) "hip-hop" sound, helps put that across.

You're both wrong. Jurassic 5 EP/LP/whatever-you-want-to-call-it smashes them both. At a push, I'd say Power In Numbers is a bit better than Quality Control, although Quality Control has more "good" songs. Which is pretty weird. I guess what I'm saying is that although Power In Numbers doesn't have as many good songs as QC, the ones that are good are really good.

But, yeah. The first one is the best anyway. Surely Jurassic 5 have a new album coming out this year?

blackmoon~~_entadasta_101b.jpg

:lol: If you don't bobyahed2dis you ain't gonna like hip hop.

Listen to samples here

Edit : No skits! Illmatic is too obvious and possibly sets too high a benchmark. Listening to Enta Da Stage just now and its got too many classic beats on it. Lyrics are rugged too, the way hip hop should be. You can't expect someone to listen to 3 feet high as an example of hip hop overall there's hardly any swearing on it.

"Puff the skunk & get high

Oh Lord get on my skate board

and do a muthafuckin' drive by"

I'd recommend 3 Feet High and Rising first to any hip-hop virgin.

1. It's amazing

2. They'll know several tracks

3. It's amazing

4. There's no hos or pimps to scare people away.

5. It's amazing

6. They'll learn that hip-hop has skits.

Then I might go for something else classic. Maybe some Rakim. I think the trick for a virgin would be to make sure it had a few chart hits in it.

I'd maybe suggest 'Illmatic' by Nas, actually. It covers all of hip-hop's recurring themes. It mixes smirk-inducing tough guy machismo with insightful social commentary, all communicated in intricate, intelligently structured lyrics. It verges on poetry a lot of the time.

In addition to that, the music behind it all features a lot of the trademark hip-hop sounds (thanks, again, in part to DJ Premier's involvement, although Large Professor, Pete Rock and Q-Tip's production elsewhere on the album is of a similar high quality). You've got stomping piano loops on 'NY State of Mind,' smooth horns as 'Life's A Bitch' plays out, spookily twisted percussion and vibes on 'One Love,' plus all of the heavy scratching and bombastic horns on the Pete Rock cut, 'The World Is Yours.'

Illmatic is pretty much the perfect hip-hop album. It's nice the way the intro samples the soundtrack and dialogue from Wildstyle, that infamous cinematic tomb of hip-hop heritage. Sweet little nod to the graf heads and b-boys, that one :lol:

EDIT: I reckon Uncle Mike's suggestion is the other correct answer, by the way. Good thinking.

You're both wrong. Jurassic 5 EP/LP/whatever-you-want-to-call-it smashes them both. At a push, I'd say Power In Numbers is a bit better than Quality Control, although Quality Control has more "good" songs. Which is pretty weird. I guess what I'm saying is that although Power In Numbers doesn't have as many good songs as QC, the ones that are good are really good.

But, yeah. The first one is the best anyway. Surely Jurassic 5 have a new album coming out this year?

Meh, the fact that you say QC has more "good" songs is kinda what made me choose it, as a first album you'd want a good amount of songs whereas J5 is more of a slightly extended EP. I like Power in Numbers too but I've always thought of QC as my favourite of the two.

The 120mph track with Percee P and Big Daddy Kane, over this ridiculous David Axelrod sample more than makes up for that (I liked that Furtado track, anyway. Used a nice little sample from 'Les Fleur' by Minnie Riperton. Love that).

The Beatnuts produced 'If You Only Knew,' with the flutes and the pianos was classic, too. I killed that song.

Beauty And The Beat. It's got heritage, quality, variety and boasting.

Don't be so ridiculous. You give that to a hip-hop virgin they will freak out and start taking acid.

Thing is, I think you'd want to lead them in a decent musical direction. If you gave them something like Illmatic, as amazing as it is, they could travel the wrong path afterwards e.g. some of Nas's recent albums! Therefore, I'd probably give them MF Doom - Operations Doomsday. It's a little quirky, but it has all the elements, some hard beats etc. Yeah, actually I'd definitely give them this album.

Interesting stand point. I hadn't thought about setting too high a benchmark :lol:

I reckon this would make an ideal introduction to hip-hop:

%7Boption%7Dhttp://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0000AVTOG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg' alt='B0000AVTOG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg'>

Again, there's a nice mixture of old school styled bragging and humour, with a bit of social commentary. The music ranges from the inoffensive and cheery to more banging, louder styles. Plus you've got Busta Rhymes blaspheming at the top of his voice for the chorus to 'Oh My God.'

It sounds a lot like some of the good stuff on 3 Feet High, but mixes it up with lyrics about touring, partying and "sucka niggas."

Most bases are covered on that album. Extremely solid. See also Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde:

B000026FIA.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Some really funny lyrics, superb storytelling, some emo chat about trying to impress girls, tracks about getting stoned out your nut and an obligatory "fuck the police" song. Albums like these two actually set these trends, you know? Great stuff! Gorgeous cover, too.

Cypress Hill's first album sounds to me like it could qualify for generic awesome hip-hop album #5, too. For similar reasons to The Pharcyde, but with violent gangsta posturing instead of simply trying to impress the pretty girls at school.

B000026OZS.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Great album. Probably the one that got me really interested in listening to everything the genre had to offer.

EDIT:

FFS, stan :o

I guess 'Midnight Marauders' it is then, no?

Seriously though, that album feels like part of my life. If I didn't have access to that album for the rest of my life I'd feel very strange.

Don't be so ridiculous.  You give that to a hip-hop virgin they will freak out and start taking acid.

Maybe not, though. I think so long as they're a lover of music in general, they'll find something in 'Beauty And The Beat' that they can probably identify with. I gave it to one of my flatmates to listen to at work, cause he was on the look for something new to hear. I figured, since he's a rock music fan, he'd dig it. He loves it and has since decided that he wants to hear loads of hip-hop. He's ripped loads of my music, although mostly from the same sort of style as Edan. Doom and Madlib stuff etc.

'Beauty And The Beat' might be a good one for any music enthusiasts with misconceptions about hip-hop. It's not really an album for people who aren't big into music, though. Definitely one for the folks with knowledge.

Beauty And The Beat. It's got heritage, quality, variety and boasting.

It has a lot of the stuff you'd look for - variety and depth, but it's too hardcore for someone with no experience of hip-hop. It's too off-beat as well' most hip-hop isn't like this.

Thing is, I think you'd want to lead them in a decent musical direction.  If you gave them something like Illmatic, as amazing as it is, they could travel the wrong path afterwards e.g. some of Nas's recent albums!  Therefore, I'd probably give them MF Doom - Operations Doomsday.  It's a little quirky, but it has all the elements, some hard beats etc.  Yeah, actually I'd definitely give them this album.

I think that falls into the same category as Beauty & The Beat. Not quite as hardcore, or offbeat, but same direction.

'Beauty And The Beat' might be a good one for any music enthusiasts with misconceptions about hip-hop. It's not really an album for people who aren't big into music, though. Definitely one for the folks with knowledge.

Good shout Cal, agreed.

d77745hle2h.jpg

I think it woulb be pretty hard for someone not to like Mecca & The Soul Brother.*

*cue all the posts saying "I don't Like Mecca & The Soul Brother".

d77745hle2h.jpg

I think it woulb be pretty hard for someone not to like Mecca & The Soul Brother.*

Being entirely honest, after T.R.O.Y. the rest of the tracks disappointed. Cal, take note: you set the benchmark too high there. Also, being entirely honest, I haven't devoted quite as much of my time to this as it's hefty reputation demands.

I was happy to concede that I was in error skipping over Internal Affairs recently and can happily say it's recieved some heavy rotation of late, so yeah. Time, place and so on.

d77745hle2h.jpg

I prefer The Main Ingredient! :ph34r: