rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
matt0

Forum Works In Progress

Just started work on a new game today. This time, I'm going for a proper scrolling shmup. If all goes to plan, there should be lots of pink bullets by the time it's done :lol:

It's going to be 2D in terms of the gameplay, but I'm planning on using 3D models for ships, enemies, etc. Not much done yet, just a cube flying round an empty screen, tilting to the side when you move sideways and firing the bullets from my Space Invaders game but much faster!

Might also use this project for a bit of practice with things like classes, inheritance, that sort of stuff, because I need it and it's the first thing I've programmed where I can see how they would actually be useful.

my game's at about 60% complete.. still finishing up player character anims at the moment....

hard drive died last night but manage to retrieve all my code and gfx.. thank god..

Marble Blast Ultra ripoff ahoy!

Cool, your own engine or?

Looks wicked, how have you done the physics etc?

This is my current project..

A little game prototype for a school project.

http://blink.dagbladet.no/user/click_user_...r/exFusion.flac

You have to rename to .rar (my web-space was down when posting, so I had to use some rubbish web-space)

Use keys wasd .. in the end I hope to create some sort of futuristic racer thing.

edit: Found a proper place to store the stuff..

It works now.

http://www.spacerobe.com/vamecum/exFusion.rar

Aye, my own engine. Used PhysX for the physics, so we got the entire game up and running in about 3/4 days. You can choose your marble, and level from the frontend.

Requires a shader model 2_a card at the moment, but I'll write a low detail version soon. At the moment it just crashes if you don't have a good enough graphics card...go go error checking!

I'm dying to see this one Brian. Your avatar is ace.

cheers JP... it's an idea i've had for a while.. here's a few more pieces of character/concept art..

no ingame shots yet, i'm afraid!!

113184101.jpg

mockpic2.jpg

it's a design that i submitted during a brainstorming session at my last company.. i got some gormless look from the management, followed by an 'ookaayy.. anyone else have any ideas?' leaving me thinking

'right, you fuckers...!'

I quit about a month after that...

hopefully this may let me go ahead and pursue my other ideas i've been sat on for the last god knows how long (one's 3D and I need a programmer for that) if people pay it any attention...

Those both look fantastic.

I have an idea for a 2D game which I want to push on with, but I cannot draw at all, I'd love to be able to produce sprites like those in gique's post up there.

Programmer art FTW I guess...

Those both look fantastic.

I have an idea for a 2D game which I want to push on with, but I cannot draw at all, I'd love to be able to produce sprites like those in gique's post up there.

Programmer art FTW I guess...

haha, you should see artist code!!!

it's a design that i submitted during a brainstorming session at my last company.. i got some gormless look from the management, followed by an 'ookaayy.. anyone else have any ideas?' leaving me thinking

'right, you fuckers...!'

Good on you. I love the style too. Has it become your full time job?

Good on you. I love the style too. Has it become your full time job?

sadly no, I started at a new place a few days after I bailed - i still get dictated to by an art director and marketing department during my 9-5 game dev job, got to pay for my electricity and coffee somehow :unsure:

I gave up handing in design ideas ages ago, there's no point, as youre essentially giving it to them for free, and then watching a workable idea get mutilated by marketing and the dreaded "design by commitee"

most of my energies for this game are out of hatred for the people that ignored me or held me back in the 17 years i've been making games BTW...

thx for the art feedback!

here's a ghost kitten from the haunted forest of myooo, in return

147421728.jpg

That's fantastic, how on earth do you go about creating a picture like that? I really have no idea. What software do you use?

adobe illustrator and photoshop, occasionally a little bit of 3dsmax.

most of my energies for this game are out of hatred for the people that ignored me or held me back in the 17 years i've been making games

:unsure:

You're a generous soul. I couldn't take 3 years of the games industry before the design commitees killed me. I wonder how many great games start out of pure hatred . . .

:D

You're a generous soul. I couldn't take 3 years of the games industry before the design commitees killed me. I wonder how many great games start out of pure hatred . . .

so you bailed the industry?

That ghost kitten is brilliant. :(

It all is!

thanks!!! wait til the lil fella animates...

For the moment yes. I found working with/in games utterly destroyed what interest I had in them, not to mention turned me into the most cynical person I know. (It really was the bastardisation of good ideas which finally gets to you.) Now I work in financial software! (Woo! . . err)

These days my extra curricular energies are focussed on never quite done webcomics, with an early version here:

http://www.sometimesamazingthingshappen.com/corpodog_beta/

I've single handedly written commercially successful games, but it's quite sad to look back on them and not be proud of them, so one day I want to put that right, even if it is a micro game, as long as it's good.

'right, you fuckers...!'

I'm sure brainstorming has its place (I'm not sure what its place is, but I'm prepared to believe it has a use in *some* situations), but brainstorming is absolutely, completely and utterly the wrong way to come up with new designs or concepts. The thought of presenting a half formed idea to a commitee of people, to poke, prod, rip it apart, and change it into something which matches the lowest common denominator of the imaginations of all the people in the room, absolutely fills me with horror.

Even so, to present something as nice looking as that, and something which looks pretty damn commercial, and get that kind of dismissive reaction must be dreadful.

I hope you get it finished.

ok.. it's out for you to test!

http://www.spacerobe.com/vamecum/exFusion.rar

Its a little racer game.. Source follows because this is the rar I delivered for my graphics programming course.. Use the source if you want license, just let me know (I doub't its of any use). And if you feel the need to be very nice, inspect the source and give me hints and tips or pats on back :(

the bundled exe need .net 2.0 framework because I havn't quite poked around enough in visual studio 8 to know where the magical switch which removes that dependancy is.