rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
matt0

Forum Works In Progress

I've just released a new video of my stealth game, it's about 25meg, the quality's not great as I was using HyperCam 2 and I'm not too impressed with it, can anyone recomend any better video capture programs? Anyway, take a look and let me know what you think. You can access the video from the link in my sig.

Cheers

Edit: spelling

My 3D engine so far. Supports HDR w/ bloom, shadows, water, grass, heat haze and lava, as well as standard normal mapping, parallax mapping, stuff like that. Supports hardware from PS1.4 to PS3.0, with detail scaling accordingly. Uses a BSP for culling. Currently writing an MGS "clone" using my engine. ;)

normalmappingps302hh.th.jpg

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/4244/waterps304vj.jpg

Motion-wise, I'm using tension equations. You can make ripples anywhere and they bounce off the sides of the pool.

Graphics-wise, I'm using projected textures to create the reflections and refractions and warping them via the surface normal of each pixel. Doing chromatic dispersion so it gives rainbow effects too :unsure:

I've just released a new video of my stealth game, it's about 25meg, the quality's not great as I was using HyperCam 2 and I'm not too impressed with it, can anyone recomend any better video capture programs?  Anyway, take a look and let me know what you think.  You can access the video from the link in my sig.

Cheers

Edit: spelling

John uses Fraps, for stuff like this, which I think he's pretty happy with.

I can see that a lot of work went into that video. Impressive. Its great to see such a large number of games being developed by forumites.

At the moment I'm working on a 2D game in C++ with a 'pipe' theme. This just an experiment really to see if i can a) code in C++ b) write a casual game that makes it onto the game portals like Real Arcade.

still busy working on my puzzle action game (not willing to give out its name, or any images just yet) .. lots of hiccups as i'm in uncharted territory with the play mechanic.. graphics are working out nicely, but its taking forever to get all the animations done..

a horrendously optimized animation of one of the enemies is now my avatar..

maybe some screenshots soon...

My 3D engine so far.  Supports HDR w/ bloom, shadows, water, grass, heat haze and lava, as well as standard normal mapping, parallax mapping, stuff like that.  Supports hardware from PS1.4 to PS3.0, with detail scaling accordingly.  Uses a BSP for culling.  Currently writing an MGS "clone" using my engine. :unsure:

normalmappingps302hh.th.jpg

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/4244/waterps304vj.jpg

That's fantastic, wish I could do that :rolleyes:

So I've added a bit of a game to my engine now. It's currently based in a 3D version of the first level of Pacman, where all the enemies follow the MGS set of artificial intelligence rules. i.e. patrol -> engage -> caution -> patrol.

However, I'm a shit artist, so I've currently got really badly modelled Pacman ghosts as my 'enemies'. Screenies when it's done, I'm just adding the exclamation marks for the heads now :ph34r:

I've been slacking off lately, not done much at all this past month other than fiddle about with the file format for my map files and add a few simple functions to the level editor. I did some new background tiles over the weekend though which I think came out pretty well...

bridge2tk.gif

...but that's about it.

I've recently been playing about in my spare time with writing a fancy wireframe 3D engine targetted at phones (writing mobile games is my job, and it's a pain having to cater always to the lowest common denominator, so really seeing what they can do is quite rare). The idea is you can turn features on and off, and the thing scales to the display of the device. Then in theory writing stuff like a scalable Pacman clone (namco lawsuit permitting) would be a relatively trivial exercise to the porting mess that exists in this sector.

Suffice to say the whole thing has to be fixed point in Java (fixed point maths being a real headache here), but I've made it so currently two effects it supports beyond the obvious are anti-aliased line rendering (uber slow, but some devices are up to it) and trails (piss easy, but some devices don't have alpha support, so goodbye to that for some).

Currently it simply isn't fast enough, exhibits a good few maths errors, and has an enormous preprocessing stage for it's intelligent edge rendering, which can take my laptop Mac about 30 seconds in some cases. This would obviously get packed out into a binary structure for the final jar (if you know what that means . . . )

I've had some invaluable help from some friends of mine, specifically regarding maths bugs and line rendering. My work seem interested in it simply as a flashier way to display the corporate logo :)

For the curious I'm using Blender to create the files it loads. Need to write a custom Python exporter to support animation at some point soon. As with all these things, looks miles better in motion.

Hope someone's remotely interested!

kt

neon_bug.jpg

neon_cop.jpg

neon_cupkids.jpg

neon_cupkids_bug.jpg

neon_flower.jpg

I've been slacking off lately, not done much at all this past month other than fiddle about with the file format for my map files and add a few simple functions to the level editor. I did some new background tiles over the weekend though which I think came out pretty well...

bridge2tk.gif

...but that's about it.

Love the cartoonish look to the game. Nice and bright. Is the water animated at all?

Love the cartoonish look to the game. Nice and bright. Is the water animated at all?

Thanks! There's no animation for the tilesets yet. It's one of those things I'll think about when I've got the game up and running and I've got a few different finished terrain types. And it hinges on whether I could actually do a half decent animation of it. I might just have a sort of ripple effect or something.