IGNORED

Fight Night Round 3 Demo

Links

I'm suprised EA released this under the Fight Night name as it's essentially a bugged to buggery tech demo.

Yes it looks unbelievable, but it's got some horrid clipping issues, major physics problems and the whilst i get what they're trying to do by removing all health bars, it doesn't work at this stage whilst the game is so unfinished.

The impact of puches is frankly pathetic compared to FNR2, with some punches vague enough to have me wondering if i'd actually made contact.

It's got promise and there needs to be an awful lot of work done to it, but having played a shit demo of FNR2 and then played the stupedous final game, i'm sure EA won't dissapoint.

It really is pretty bloody impressive isnt it.. definite showcase for the 360 when people are over.

Those slow-mo replay thingys will never get old

EDIT: hehe just read Blinkys post above.. seems we have slightly differing views. Yeah so the demos a bit buggy (especially the end of round replays) but my god the characters look spot on!

looks lovely indeed,

but

does anyone else notice a little vertical dark line during the fight, like one of the film grain type effects form the menu screens is still there. it's maybe a third of the way across from the right of the screen.

isn't there on any other games, hope it isn't an issue with my telly

looks lovely indeed,

but

does anyone else notice a little vertical dark line during the fight, like one of the film grain type effects form the menu screens is still there. it's maybe a third of the way across from the right of the screen.

isn't there on any other games, hope it isn't an issue with my telly

I've got something similar but mines in the middle. Don't worry about it.

You. lucky. fucks.

I raved about the kok games b4.

Seriously though, for 3D fighting games, the series is fantastic.

It pissed all over Rocky - and none of this namby pamby kiddie animations seen in VF, Tekken and the like.

Its really nasty stuff, and exactly where Namco and Sega should be heading IMO.

Proper physics, with a proper feeling of satisfaction when you smack someone in the face with a 6 combo haymaker, and finish with with a KO move.

Like SSX, its one series EA have got bang on.

I'm not slating VF and TK but anyone who's become bored or progressed away from these games, but still have that fighting urge that these games produced when first played will know exactly what i mean.

cool, looks like it's just a wee glitch, people on gamefaqs have mentioned it aswell.

I'm strangly glad I never got around to playing this series before, loving it now, so brutal. Anyone know if there's gonna be online play?

See...VF and Tekken used to do that to me (esp. when Tekken slo mo'd the replays) - it was shit hot back then.

But its become stale and IMO the fall/knockdown animations don't feel real enough, so both series haven't really progessed far enough and has left a few people wanting something more gritty.

I'm beating on - but Sega/Namco really fucked up.

They had an equivelent arcade engine ages ago - fuck me, the ST-V could have powered a similar fighter.

KOK's graphics are not that great. The background are simple rooms effectively so they're not using much processor power. Its just, like PES, they've slowed the game down and made the animations more lifelike.

Its one of few examples where the drive towards hyper realism actually works really well.

And why not..... we're all instinctive fighters deep down.

Its like watching Rocky - the fighting brings out that subduded rage in us.

By the way, if you like the styling of this game you could do far worse than checking out Def Jam Fight For New York on the old Xbox. It has the same lush lighting effects and looks about as good as an Xbox game can look.

The fighting is even more meaty and brutal, but obviously far more over the top and not as realistic as in the Fight Night series.

The impact of puches is frankly pathetic compared to FNR2, with some punches vague enough to have me wondering if i'd actually made contact.

Agree with you there. I've only watched the movie and at first i was like WOW, but then by the second round i was thinking, what the fuck is this guy on the left doing? He was landing punches on the other guy's wide open chin with all the strength of a fucking flower.

Still, it's the first thing that's made me really consider buying a 360. :(

Isn't that just your character getting tired? It's far more pronounced visually this time around seeing as there's no health bars.

The lack of any in-ring information is a good update in my opinion, not knowing when a round will end is pretty tense when you're getting pasted.

By the way, if you like the styling of this game you could do far worse than checking out Def Jam Fight For New York on the old Xbox. It has the same lush lighting effects and looks about as good as an Xbox game can look.

Thats fair comment. oh and Sorry, when i say realistic, i mean the fall animations rather then the moves themselves.

Whe you punch someone in the face, they don't spin endlessly on their axis.

It was okay a first and good for air combo's, but it looks a bit lame these days. (Maybe thats just me).

If you throw too many consecutive punches, especially missed ones, then your guys energy is drained and you will be throwing punches like water. This was conveyed before with a meter, now you just have to do it visually. Take a breather, sway about, keep the other guy at bay with a jab or two.

As I mentioned before, I do like FN games, but this in the Ring visuals aside is EXACTLY the same game. Nothing new at all.

As for comparing this to Tekken and all I think thats a tad unfair. This game is very simple, with little in the way of difficult moves or advanced tactics. I think while it gains in pick up and play with this, it suffers in the long term.

In the past I have played this for the week of release, then only dragged it out for 2 player whenever someone comes round. Its a hell of a two player game at that.

I just wish they had added another layer in there for those who have played the previuous games to move onto and master.

There are a few graphical glithces as has been said, but Im sure these will all be ironed out for the release. Im confident this will be the most next gen looking game out there when it hits the shelves.

In the past I have played this for the week of release, then only dragged it out for 2 player whenever someone comes round. Its a hell of a two player game at that.

;) when i play KOK i do wonder how the fuck they'd add any more moves, given that you use the whole ano stick in every direction possible.

Played this last night and have to say I was very impressed. Have they changed the control system since Round 1 as I really struggled with it then but have no problems with this version? Some of the detail on the boxers is amazing. I did notice a few small problems like feet disappearing through the floor when the boxer was on the ground but nothing major. The commentary is excellent too.

This whole 'no health bar' thing is the way to go. As I said before it heightens immersion immensely as Call of Duty 2, King Kong and now Fight Night Round 3 have shown.

Having not played a FN game before, I miss having some kind of visual clue to tell me when I should stop punching, when someone is close to knockout, etc etc. I'm all for immersion and lack of HUDs, but not at the expense of necessary information. Of course, there could be a tutorial in the final release that goes into all this.

Very impressive ! There are some minor graphical glitches left, but I bet they won't be in the final version.

The gameplay didn't change much since FNR2. Looks like the haymaker is still too much of a powerhouse. But we'll see.

Graphically these must be the best-looking character models ever. The cheek-ripple is amazing, as are the spittle & blood.

There doesn't seem to be too much character animation enhancements over its predecessor though (except for the facial animations), which is a bit disappointing.

All in all this is one to look forward to. Roll on release day !

Had a go at lunch. Fuck me! I literally thought people were watching boxing, from across the room. Much nicer looking character models than the NBA game. Like has been said, its a shame some of the clipping issues are present, same goes for the ropey (hur hur) ragdolls when they fall down.

The matching up images to get up after a knockdown best come back though!

Like that you can switch between being a lefty or righty by pressing the LB, could be interesting, especially if it works to conserve strength on your jabbing arm, etc.

I had less than zero interest in this before yesterday but downloaded the demo out of idle curiosity after reading the comments on this thread.

It's bloody brilliant. Having not played a boxing game since Frank Bruno's Boxing on the Spectrum, I thought this was great. And it looks fantastic, too. This has shot right up my "most wanted" list.

Demo: job done.