rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
kerraig UK

The Shield

I guess everyone's seen Season 5 now? So, Shane, eh? What a cunt.

Nah, I had total sympathy. He's the only one with a thing to lose really. I mean Vic already lost his kids and the other two have no life outside of Strike Team. Shane had it all. And she's hot.

Lem wouldn't have broken though. He'd have gone down without saying a word about the other three. Shane was just being a selfish cunt. I only had sympathy for Lem, since he was caught helping out Shane, and Ronnie, since he had obviously done everything right, like Kavannagh said.

Speaking of which, is Forest Whittaker coming back for the next season?

So... is this the best cop show ever, or is the wire the best cop show ever?

I just spilt £25 on the wire thread and now I see this thread.

I get the impression the wire is more "special" as it were and that this is just good in a conventional kinda way. Right? Wrong?

I don't really get Region2 releases of US TV shows that often. I'm not usually one for snobbery but the pitch change you get from US releases converted to PAL is definitely noticeable to me. When you've got something all big and gruff like The Shield my ears don't really like them talking like fairies. Ears notice it different amounts though.

Sod the "pitch change" - the R1 transfers are 4:3 while the R2's are 1.78:1 anamorphic.

For this reason alone, the R2 boxsets win hands down for me.

No, becayse they weren't filmed widescreen.

Not quite.

Like most hour-long primetime US dramas, the show aired in 4:3 on the network's standard broadcast channel and 16:9 (it’s acquired aspect ratio) on the digital channel.

Granted, it’s intended aspect ratio is indeed 1.33:1, and some of the producers said they preferred the 4:3 broadcast version and asked the DVD to be presented that way, but fuck that - gimme the orignal 16:9 anamorphic transfer any day of the week. 4:3 plain sucks.

Someone should tell this shit to Joss Whedon... :blink:

So... is this the best cop show ever, or is the wire the best cop show ever?

I just spilt £25 on the wire thread and now I see this thread.

I get the impression the wire is more "special" as it were and that this is just good in a conventional kinda way. Right? Wrong?

They're totally different beasts, and equally great at what they do.

The Wire is a detail-laden uberwork with storylines spanning several seasons: it's peerless as far as procedural detective shows go. But while some won't dig the considered pacing or the fact that it demands your attention, it's definitely worth the effort.

On the other hand, if you like your TV edgy and involved, The Shield is un-muvvafuckin-paralled. It basically has everything from storylines with shocking twists, and visceral action, to Vic Mackey; one of my favourite TV characters ever. It's just badass TV all the way.

Honestly, I couldn't pick between the two. They're both that special.

EDIT: Think of it like Alien Vs. Aliens, i.e. two radically differant (and brilliant) takes on the same subject matter.

Guest retrend

Make sure and catch up with the rest, it gets better and better (series 2 & 3) and then not quite as good but damn good nonetheless (series 4 & 5) and then FUCKING GREAT (end of series 5/potential for series 6). All imo of course.

Yeh, I hated that bitch Chase n all :blink:

Yeah, even though I accidentally read some of this thread before watching, when people were talking about Shane I thought he'd made some sort of deal...

It's funny, because the strike team have had seemingly infinite near misses, and you kind of get used to it going back to the status quo after four seasons, and then BAM. Main character killed.

I was meaning near misses as in how close they've almost been caught being corrupt.

I mean, Vic's personal life changed a lot after season one, but the strike team still did what they do.

I like Ronnie, I think he's underused.

Apparently he was meant to be the eyes through which the viewer saw the other characters. In that he was a little nerdy, not so bad-ass as the other three and generally a background character.

It might do though, the only thing I think a 7th series guarantuees is that Vic wont die in S6. The team pretty much fell apart at the end of S3, and was never the same afterwards, hanging together through necessity, but now that's falling apart too.

Watched all 5 series over the past two months.

Its possibly the best TV show I've ever seen, probably just pipped by The Sopranos.

Re S5: Kavanaugh, what an absolute cunt. But I only hate him so because of how good Whitaker was. Some of the best acting I've ever seen, EVER.

Roll on S6. I can't wait.

Re S5: Kavanaugh, what an absolute cunt. But I only hate him so because of how good Whitaker was. Some of the best acting I've ever seen, EVER.

You're not lying. Absolutely incredible performance.

Update:

Fox Home Entertainment has also announced the fifth season of show - The Shield which stars Michael Chiklis. The four-disc set will be available to own from 27th March, and should retail at around $59.98. Each of the episodes will be presented in 1.33:1 full frame along with English Dolby 2.0 Stereo tracks. Extras will include audio commentaries on selected episodes, 50 Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary by Shawn Ryan, a Delivering the Baby: Making of Episode 511 featurette, The Shield Television Academy Panel, a Fox Movie Channel Presents: Making A Scene feature, a Scott Brazil Tribute, a music video, and more.

shieldvj1.jpg

Sold, baby.

I've been playing catch up on The Shield for the last month, watching seasons three, four and finally the last episode of five last night. Jesus-fucking-christ, what a great show!

Can't wait for Six.