rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
kerraig UK

The Shield

I got as far as season 4 (bought the box set) and took a break from it as I was doing two episodes a night.

Then Netflix turned up! So yeah I really need to go back to it. One of the best things I've seen on tv.

Keep going, because season 5 is when things become absolutely fucking AMAZING

forestwhitakerputsdownh.jpg

Never got round to watching this.. But God Bless Brazillian Netflix because all six seasons are on there.

Yesterday, I mainlined Season 1. It's really good, and even though season 1 is 11 years old, it still feels pretty fresh (bar the hair cuts and the height of the suit trousers) in that it never seems to sink into cliche or where you expect it to go.

Really looking forward to watching the rest now.

• Upvote 1

I've never seen a show that ramps up the tension as much as The Shield, and that's including Breaking Bad. It just hits the ground running and never stops building. By the end of season three you'll be digging your nails into your palms; by the end of season five you'll be screaming at the TV in disbelief; by the end of the show you'll be needing a stiff drink.

There's only a single duff episode in all 7 seasons, it's astonishingly consistent.

There's only a single duff episode in all 7 seasons, it's astonishingly consistent.

Yes, agreed. My wife and I mainlined the whole show a few months back. For me, it doesn't quite reach the lofty heights of The Wire, Breaking Bad, or The Sopranos -- it simply isn't as thematically rich. But as a straight-out thriller that never relents for a second in ratcheting tension for nearly seventy hours of screentime it stands unchallenged, I think.

And dat ending... :o

• Upvote 1

Nailed it.

It's garbage and best forgotten about entirely, quite tellingly they never referenced again so the writers obviously agreed. Right from the very start and throughout the entire show there's the sense that these characters are 'lived in' and have shared this camaraderie for a long time, that together their morals gradually and almost unknowingly slipped to the point where we meet them in the first episode.

Alternatively there's the flashback, where it turns out that they'd pretty much just met each other about 6 weeks before, flipped a binary 'evil switch', and attracted the attention of internal affairs instantly. Nonsense.

• Upvote 2

I loved The Shield, but when I go to the episode where Dutch

strangles the cat

that scene really affected me (badly) in a way TV has never affected me, and I struggled with the show after that - in fact I never got around to watching the last series. But skimming this thread has given me the thirst again, so as it's been about 5 years since I last watched any of The Shield - if I dive right in with the final series is it likely to come back to me, or am I going to have to back-track to get back into the swing of things before watching the last series?

If you were to pick up from anywhere I'd say season six, as that leads directly into seven to such an extent that they're almost one big season.

RE: your spoiler,

You're not the only person I've heard raise a similar issue, although I must admit I do find it weird when people seemingly have more empathy for a stray cat than they do for all the innocent people who are raped, tortured and killed throughout the show. Happens all the time with films, as well.

• Upvote 1

Cheers, I'll see if I can get the last two series from anywhere and finish what I started :)

Re: my spoiler. I think it's a combination of factors (and I do have a soft spot for animals), but it's mostly to do with the coldness and callousness of it. As an example, I found the stabbing in The Village to be far more shocking than most other attacks in almost any other film I've seen, for the same reason.

If you haven't subscribed to Netflix and you can access it, you can get a month's Netflix free and you can get Unblock US free for a week as well. As I said, all seasons are on the Brazilian Netflix, so you could enjoy them all for free if you watch them all in that week.

• Upvote 1

Finished my re-run through this today. That third to last episode...

where Vic signs his deal and confesses to everything

is some of the best TV I've seen.

• Upvote 2

Yeah I just finished watching this for the first time last week. Electric television.

Only criticism was the number of times Vic and the team would be balls deep in covering up the shit they've done, or put in an impossible situation, but still find the time to forget about all that and go catch a rapist/killer/paedophile. If I had IAD, the Feds, Aceveda and whoever else crawling up my ass I think my job performance might suffer slightly!

Finished my re-run through this today. That third to last episode...

where Vic signs his deal and confesses to everything

is some of the best TV I've seen.

I’ve done worse.

One of my favourite bits of TV ever, that.

I'm watching The Shield for the first time now also. After Sons Of Anarchy I'm well used to Kurt Sutter's writing tics - you know he'll paint the protagonists into the corner, get you rooting for them, have something come out of left-field to let them off the hook temporarily, and then they do something really awful to remind you what assholes they are.

One of my favourite bits of TV ever, that.

Stupid as it sounds, the drawn out pause before he starts speaking is one of the most exciting moments of TV I've ever seen

• Upvote 2

Don't watch it immediately after The Wire. You'll be wondering how the entire lot of them don't get demoted to the quartermaster's office or harbour patrol by the end of the first episode. It's like going straight from Citizen Kane to Transformers: The Movie.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Don't watch it immediately after The Wire. You'll be wondering how the entire lot of them don't get demoted to the quartermaster's office or harbour patrol by the end of the first episode. It's like going straight from Citizen Kane to Transformers: The Movie.

I had a good 6 months between them and had seen each twice before :)

Fucking hell! Just finished season 5.

Shane, you utter cunt. Utter fucking cunt! I'm in shock. What a cunt! I feel like I've been gut punched.

• Upvote 3