Sign in to follow this  
kerraig UK

The Shield

I’ve been re-watching the Shield over the last couple of months. Just amazing TV. The performances are so good.

I’m now on the last episode. It’s so difficult to watch knowing that

Shane will kill himself and his family. He’s just a fuckup plain and simple. He almost always meant well, but he got himself in too deep one too many times. I’m a Dad now and watching his last scenes with Mara, talking about their son Jackson

:(

I bought the UK box set and had no idea it was cut until you just said, so I don't think it makes much difference. Still loved it to bits.

If you see the episode that was cut, it makes a world of difference. They chop a whole 20 minutes from the season 5 finale. What's funny is that they show bits that were cut in the "previously on The Shield" section that have you scratching your head, because it's the first time you're seeing it.

On the other hand, I think the R1 disc is 4:3 whereas the R2 disc is 16:9 widescreen from what I remember, the format it was originally shot in. So the best advice would probably be buy the region 2, but grab the full 70 minute season 5 finale from the high seas.

Shawn Ryan says

Firstly, although filmed in Widescreen, The Shield is edited in Full Frame, and to maintain the documentary feel and enhance the tension on screen was always envisioned to be seen in the Full Frame aspect ratio the final editing is performed in.

It's now also 16:9 in the US too, since Sony took over distribution from Fox, who had released the first five seasons in 4:3.

Every time this thread gets bumped I'm reminded that we still haven't had TV as good as The Shield. Breaking Bad came close at times, but nothing was as consistently brilliant as The Shield.

That makes me sad. It's a shame the writers never struck gold again either, in fact most of the cast haven't either. 

PS - the UK box set is pretty good but they bodged the last episode of season five but cutting it down. I have no idea for the reasoning of the cut, it certainly isn't censorship and there was no reason to cut it down for time either as far as I know. 

Then they cut the very last episode into two separate episodes and changed the order of events. It doesn't ruin the last episode but it does harm the pacing. The US version is better.

Other than that the box set is good - it's well presented and can be picked up for next to nothing. I haven't seen the Netflix version (UK) but presume it's the same UK cut edition.

Apparently the extended cut was never shown in the UK/Europe in the first place, just the normal-length syndicated version, which meant there were no Italian/Spanish dubs for the extended scenes which in turn led to the Region 2 version having the shorter episode.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/new-release-the-shield-complete-series-blu-ray-coming-nov-6th-2999143

Tuesday November 6th 2018

MILL CREEK ENTERTAINMENT TO RELEASE THE COMPLETE EMMY®-WINNING SERIES “THE SHIELD” AS DELUXE, SPECIAL EDITION BLU-RAY COLLECTOR’S SET

All 88 Episodes of Creator Shawn Ryan’s Visceral and Gritty Drama Starring Michael Chiklis Available in High Definition Plus All-New Cast Reunion and Retrospective Featurettes on November 6

34532001.jpg

Aw fuck YEAH.

• Upvote 2

I've started watching the new blu-ray version. At first I was wary as I've not seen it since the original airing and remembered it being 4:3 and having a gritty aesthetic. Normally all the promises of it being planned from the start to be ready for widescreen are nonsense, but now I've got used to it being cleaner I actually think it looks really good. 

The tweets from Shawn Ryan said that although they are starting with the blu-ray they prepared them at 4K (originally recorded on film), so that it is ready for streaming. So maybe after these are on sale for a while that will happen.

Every time I see this thread is updated! Every time! I'm always half gutted and half relieved that it's not an announcement about new The Shield.