rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
kerraig UK

The Shield

Yes i know its old. i'm always behind when it comes to tv. but I just finished watching season 1 of this and all i can say is FUCKING HELL!!!!

With the exception of a couple of side stories (gay christian cops crisis of faith, hard boiled cop has spastic son) its all hard hitting drug busts and overdosing hookers and fights with the chief and all that stuff. And corruption by the bucketload.

Ive just watched the first episode of season 2 and its highlighted my fears and potential problems with all TV shows. too much of a good thing is a bad thing. the corrupt cop thing may soon wear thin and become wholly unbelievable (travelling to mexico to threaten drug overlords) but as a standalone series, the shield series 1 was fucking awesome.

Dutch, Vic and the Chief are all awesome characters.

Hey there.

This one of my fave shows. Michael Chiklis is such a bad ass. I've loved every series. It winds shit up tighter and tighter for Vic and the gang it's hard to take. I LOVE IT.

The new series starts soon and Forest Whitaker is joinging the cast. I can't wait.

Despin out.

With each Season at like £15 on Play I couldn't say no - only watched the first two episodes so far, but it's some good shit.

So its worth sticking with series 2?

My problem with american tv is how its so audience driven rather than story driven. I'm just frightened it'll go down the pander to the audience route.

you could already see it slightly. In the first episodes Chiklis is just a corrupt badass cop, but he was obviously so popular with the viewing audience they turned his profiteering into a 'neccessary evil' to get the job done. His kid and the stolen coke and stuff seemed like devices to show that rather than being corrupt he was merely 'doing things his way'.

I did love the whole series, but his character definately changed from Villain to Anti hero over the course.

Four,

"Dragonchaser" was my fave episode of the first series (the one where Dutch becomes a bit of a hero)

Series 2 is still good and has a half decent story arc.

Series 3 I think is just plain nasty just for the sake of it and I really didn't get on with it too well.

I missed a fair few eps of Season 4 due to ineptitude with the VCR/Channel 5 messing with the schedule but I think we're getting a bit of the structure back.

Kerraig, I think you're right insofar as the characters developed as much as they were going to in Season 1. They don't seem to have changed THAT much in subseqent seasons. Julian went through a few things and Dutch had 2 very interesting moments in season 3 which were never explored.

However, something amazing might happen next season - who knows?

I thought that villain/anti-hero ambiguity was probably present in the minds of the writers from the start. It's integral to the show towards the end.

You probably already know that it was based on the amazing level of corruption in the Rampart (The Shield was originally going to be called Rampart) department of the LA police.

You could certainly argue that, with the whole different breed of crime out there, in a country where often money is all it takes to be proven innocent, were those officers really all that bad? And was the environment intentionally harsh on those officers who chose a righteous path (see: the gay black dude in series 1).

Hey there.

"you could already see it slightly. In the first episodes Chiklis is just a corrupt badass cop, but he was obviously so popular with the viewing audience they turned his profiteering into a 'neccessary evil' to get the job done. His kid and the stolen coke and stuff seemed like devices to show that rather than being corrupt he was merely 'doing things his way'.

I don't know if I buy that. I reckon from the start they new where his character was going. They new he was a good guy who did bad things. And he does some pretty bad things.

Murdering a fellow cop in cold blood just to save his own ass. That's pretty evil shit for a lead character in a cop show to do.

It's been that long since Ive seen the first series I dont want to say too much because I might give away shit that hasnt happened yet.. But have you seen the episode where i flashes back to how the strike team was formed? And how they became corrupt?

It's all pretty good stuff.

I think you should defo stick with it. There is some insane shit that happens later on.

Despin out.

oh, I don't know, kerraig - although I'd missed series 3 for some reason, watched series 4 over the hols and it's still as brilliant as I remember the first series being, at least for the first 7 episodes, anyway. Kind of loses momentum during the final couple, but Glenn Close does a fantastic job as the new captain.

I see what you're saying about Chilis' character though - by 4, he seems to be all about 'playing the game', but it does rather seem to be through neccesity rather than choice inasmuch as if he'd kept going on the way he was, he'd have been out of the job pretty sharpish, and they move the emphasis from 'bad cop' pretty nicely onto one of the other members of the strike team with 'hilarious consequences'

*almost* up there with Homicide: Life on the street for best cop show, IMO.

It is an excellent programme and I am waiting patiently for the fifth series.

I did feel the last series was the weakest but, it was strong by comparison with most stuff.

Maybe the last series suffered in my eyes from being watched alongside the first season of The Wire which I reckon is much better. (Which makes it pretty fucking awsome considering how good The Shield is.)

That show is not so "bad ass" but is far more plausible, and much scarier for it. It does a fantastic job of showing the difference in attitudes of all the people at each level of the hierarchies in both the police and the gangs.

David Marciano was under-used in the fourth season which was a bit of a shame.

I realise I've been a bit harsh on it. Overall, each season is, on balance, better than quite a lot of TV (see CSI/Cold Case/etc) and there are decent episodes in all of them. I personally found the seemingly relentless sadism of the third season a bit wearing after a while.

Definitely stick with The Shield, kerraig. Each season has a lot to offer and there's some really interesting character development. Dutch is one of my favourite US drama characters of all time.

The Wire is definitely worth looking at, too. I found it a little slow to begin with and also confusing as they introduce so many important characters on both sides of the law. However, I'm glad I stuck with it. It really is superb. We've just started watching the first few episodes of Season 2 and it already looks brilliant.

It's my 2nd favourite drama behind the sopranos.

I've enjoyed almost all of it.

With regards to too much of a good thing, I've enjoyed it when seeing 36 episodes over 4 years, if you are going to watch them all in the space of a month or two, I could understand that being an issue.

I managed to watch Series 1 and 2 back to back without a break. The series 2 finale is fucking brilliant though and will make you want to dive straight into 3. You can wait though, they do a very good job of recaping. I'd say the series go 1,2,3,4 in order of decreasing quality. That isn't to say that series 4 is at all bad television.

That flashback episode is the only one I hate. It completely annihilated the astonishing buildup of tension during series 2 and came far too late to have any real relevance.

The Shield is excellent. Wasn't much of a Chiklis fan but he's brilliant playing Vic. What I really like is how they do the storylines. It's like they did with Third Watch: they have a few larger storylines for the season and then each episode has it's own little story. So you get a couple of climaxes each season instead of the writers spreading the main story too thin and adding mid-season episodes that are completely seperate from the main story (Star Trek was particularly good at those).

That flashback episode is the only one I hate. It completely annihilated the astonishing buildup of tension during series 2 and came far too late to have any real relevance.

I feel that the flashback episode has more significance on what happens in the later episodes of Season 3/almost all of Season 4 than it does over any of Season 2

First 5 eps of series one on channel5 RIGHT NOW!  you missed the first one though.

Yeah, it's a fucking treat, all the way to 5am baby.

The show does arguably dip a little for series 3, but the 4th is fantastic, especially assisted by a great turn by Glenn Close as the new chief.

Series 5 starts next Tuesday. :P

Yeah, it's a fucking treat, all the way to 5am baby.

The show does arguably dip a little for series 3, but the 4th is fantastic, especially assisted by a great turn by Glenn Close as the new chief.

Series 5 starts next Tuesday. :lol:

Is this for Channel 5 ? and what time :P

Glenn Close is great. I would love to see Frank Burnside join them :)

Is this for Channel 5 ? and what time :(

Glenn Close is great. I would love to see Frank Burnside join them  :wacko:

I wish amigo. :D

It's starting in America this Tuesday, so I meant it'll be up on the torrents etc.

Anyone know what the score is with seaoson 3 of this? Is it still airing on some UK TV channel or something? As there's no sign at all of the DVDs. I just know that as soon as I watch the first two seasons (cheers for the pointer towards play.com's sale btw), I'll be clamouring for the third.

Hooooooooooooooooooooo shit.

Just watched the Series 5 opener.

Quality as always. Great new characters with Forest Whitaker as an I.A.D. hotshot who could well be the guy to bring Vic down, as well as David Marciano from Due South as the new replacement chief who severely lacks the confidence to direct the P.D.

Things are in motion, all signs point to this being the last of The Shield. It's off to a great start, so I've got high hopes for a banging build-up and a worthy climax.

Strike Force Represent.

Anyone know what the score is with seaoson 3 of this? Is it still airing on some UK TV channel or something? As there's no sign at all of the DVDs. I just know that as soon as I watch the first two seasons (cheers for the pointer towards play.com's sale btw), I'll be clamouring for the third.

There are no plans to release a Region 2 Series 3 DVD. Season 2 came out ages ago.