IGNORED

Radiant Silvergun...

mac2

Not perfect by any means, but the progress the STV driver has made over the last 6mths is remarkable....

On my P4 3.0ghz i get between 30-55 FPS.....

Waited along time to see this running, as i have never seen the Saturn original running.

I was just about to start a thread on this. The music is slightly off and there are no sound effects, but it's good to see some progress on this classic at last! Those with monster computers only need apply though, it's alright on my Althlon 2800+ but it's unplayable when bosses are doing big attacks. Just going through the levels normally it seems to be alright unless there are stupid numbers of bullets on screen.

Ah, that runs pretty nicely (1.6Ghz AMD Sempron 2800). A little slow, and the music was a bit jerky, but that's similar to Cassini's emulation anyway. It's nice to have it available on good old user-friendly MAME at last; saves people having to faff around with massive Saturn ISOs and dodgy BIOS setups and whatnot.

excellent, that's a happy new year for me then :)

btw if it's running a bit slow, turn direct3d on (well, in mame32, dunno if you can in mame). made the difference between being a little slow and unplayably slow on mine.

surely its better to buy a saturn and get the game? 

(says someone who owns it, to be fair)

Surely one of the least beard attempts of the year?

Personally I've got no problems with paying £130 odd quid just for a single game (albeit one that I really really want), but that's asking too much of most people. Not that I think that highly of Radient Silvergun anyway. But as a rule, I'd rather play the arcade originals in most cases anyway, one way or another.

Surely one of the least beard attempts of the year?

Well, to be fair, this is a thread of people yarring the ROM. I doubt many people here will have any qualms about yarring the Saturn ISO instead, and just using a swaptrick to play it on the real thing. :)

Been waiting on this for ages, looking forward to giving it a try. One less console to haul out for a gaming session is always a bonus.

Same here, though I get this news just weeks after setting up my Saturn into a semi-permanent position beside the TV :). It won't be wasted of course, there are loads of Saturn classics.

I'm more excited about how save states will improve my game. No, I'm not talking about save stating my way through a perfect run, but being able to pinpoint the bits I have trouble with and practise them in isolation from the rest of the game, like Ikaruga on the GC - only with keeping the bombs and everything just as it would be in a real 1-credit run.

a yarring of RS would be an honourable thing, theyv made their money. altho my comment was made thinking it was reasonably cheap now the furore has died down a bit.

and its SO worth playing on a tv. talk about amazing bosses. and level 5 when you're inside the red ship spinning round and firing screen sized missiles at you.

its a stunner.

Here it is...running on my rig...waited nearly 2 years to play this.... :)

Of course what you cant tell from this are the lush 3d parallax backgrounds and lovely rotation effects....

RS2.jpg

Rs3.jpg

Rs4.jpg

untitled.jpg

I noticed your MAME is frameskipping a bit there. FSing seems to use up quite a bit of CPU power. Turn it off and see it it gets to 60fps :)

Frame skip at 0 uses the most processing power.

It skips frames to speed a game up, not slow it down but you'll get skips (or anmation jumps).

At 0 ALL frames are shown, and thus a game such as this wil run slower but all frames will be displayed.

If you want to play a game properly, then it should be set to 0 - but it'll obviously hit the processor (and the same will apply on all games using this chipset).

Anyway, i'm going. I have all the games on this board and i want to see what they run like - some of Mames best shooters use this board.

The only other shooter worth playing for the ST-V that I can think of is Soukyugurentai (AKA Terra Diver). Shienryu is also for the ST-V, but it's pretty bland as far as bad looking Raiden clones go, and it's been emulated properly for a while now in MAME.

There might have been a Cotton game as well, but other than that, I can't remember the ST-V being the home of any truly good shmups besides Radient Silvergun.

Ace.....Cotton works a treat.

I'm not sure what i did but all my games work alright now.

Having never played Soukyugurentai (or owned a Saturn) i creamed my pants and being able to play it....

only....erm.....its Raystorm....effectively.