Worst Accent In A Motion Picture Ever!

Guest henofdoom

Guest henofdoom

I'd personally have to go for Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins

ELLO BAREY MOPINS...

I'm sure there are many appalling examples out there, so fire away!

Don Cheadle in Ocean's Eleven- a man who seems to have attended the Guy Ritchie School of Fake Accents, but got thrown out for being too rubbish. His accent's fucking appalling- it wavers from RP to cockney to Australian to South African, often within the same word. "Are you accusing me of boobytrapping?" comes out as "Aw ye' acceeewzin' me of bewbytrebben'?"

The fake cockney rhyming slang's the fault of the scriptwriter, I presume (crikey, is he going to be in 'Barney' when I get my hands on him!) but the accent's all his own work.

You know, DVD in Mary Poppins has never bothered me. It's a kids film, and he did a good job on the character. Deal with it. I've heard worse and the films a classic...

Hunt for Red October, however, is rendered almost completely null and void by the inclusion of a Scots/Russian character for no reason whatsoever. was his mum a Scottish emigree? His father a business traveller who dallied whilst trying to secure the rights to Tetris? An entire plot thread lies on the cutting room floor trying to explain why there's not a hint of Slav to the Connery's performance. Looked good on the poster I guess. Sounded tosh.

And, while I'm ranting, Liam Neeson as Aslan. I mean, really. Any muppet and a gibbon knows that Jame Earl Jones is the voice of Aslan. OK it's not really an accent, but Narnia was all but ruined* by the voice casting being more wrong than it ever has been in the history of cinema**.

* OK not ruined at all, bar from the fact that it's a Lord of the Rings 0.7. copying the battle template that LOTR set out without trying to add anything to it. But regardless, heard LN's voice and thought 'that's a waste'. Top voice, just not suited to the character. Lion's should rumble with fearsome bass not calm with a soft lilt.

** maybe the tiniest of exagerations.

The lead hooligan in Green Street  - Charlie Hunnam, does the second worst cockney accent (after Mr van Dyke) ever.

Having only seen the advert, by any chance is he the one that says "staahnd your grahnd and foight" when they are being chased by about 50 guys?

Another vote for Don Cheadle in Oceans Eleven. At first you think it's an accent that the character is putting on for comedy, but then there's that moment when you realise he's actually supposed to be speaking like that normally, and you just shake your head in disgust.

Walter Matthau as the lead in the Roman Polanski Pirate film (forget the name, probably the effect of a subconscious protect host-brain procedure).

Mary Poppins is embraced as a part of our culture. Van Dyke is bad, but his not the worst.

Matthau actually makes the film unwatchable. And the fact that he is a genuine acting legend makes it all the more unbearable. It is so unplaceably and unnaturally bad that it is almost sub-human. I defy anyone to ever find anyone speaking like that beyond a tramp after his seventh bottle of sherry, mid-stroke.

Guest henofdoom
Another vote for Don Cheadle in Oceans Eleven. At first you think it's an accent that the character is putting on for comedy, but then there's that moment when you realise he's actually supposed to be speaking like that normally, and you just shake your head in disgust.

Oh yeah, forget about him.

'Unless we're doing this job in Reno we're in deep Barney'

Truly awful....