Is Spielberg Rubbish?

Thread Owner

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Quickly, regarding the ending of the film and the son: The whole thing is through Ray's eyes. Everything, bar the opening and closing narration. We see what he sees. Thus, the way the ending fits in with the rest of the film, whilst staying true to the book. Same with the son. We see him go over the hill. We see a big explosion. We do not see what happens to him because Ray doesn't. We assume he's dead. That doesn't mean he is or he isn't because as film viewers we do not know. You may have inferred that he was dead from what you saw, but the film never came out and said it.

I thought this was a given and I'm surprised by the amount of people who don't realise it, saying Spielberg was a cop out for not showing the whole invasion or it was done as a budgetary constraint.

I love the idea of only seeing the movie through one person's eyes. However, we also see the viewpoint of his duaghter a couple of times e.g. the dead floating down river and how Ray deals with Tim Robbin's character.

I really must get this on DVD. Pissed off that Asda are doing it for a fiver but I don't have a Asda nearby. :ph34r:

I love the idea of only seeing the movie through one person's eyes. However, we also see the viewpoint of his duaghter a couple of times e.g. the dead floating down river and how Ray deals with Tim Robbin's character.

I don't think it is through Ray's eyes as such but from his family's perspective, hence the daughter's view on some occasions.

CJ

I don't think it is through Ray's eyes as such but from his family's perspective, hence the daughter's view on some occasions.

CJ

Yeah, that's what I'm saying CJ :ph34r:

Only I didn't want to say through his family's eyes as that would mean we should see what Robbie sees at times, for example the massive explosion.

I'd have to see it again to be 100% sure but I think it's safe to say the film is viewed through the failed patriarch and the youngest character and the different ways in which they handle it.

I switched off halfway through Jurassic Park 3 when it was on TV. I think it was a combination of the B-list actors, no Spielberg, adverts, and weird new dinosaur designs, that really put me off.

Strange, because I really love the first two. I think The Lost World is really underrated, it's as exciting and funny as summer blockbusters should be. Hundred times better than Hulk and Daredevil and Fantastic Four and Catwoman and all this superhero mumbo-jumbo crap.

I actually preferred JP3 to JP2. It was a ride pretty much from start to finish. JP2 had more slower moments, albeit with some excellent set pieces. JP3 had the awesome fight between the T-Rex and the Spinosaurus though.

Not sure what you mean by B-list actors though. The original film didn't have big name stars either, just good actors. Same with JP3 (Sam Neill returning, William H Macy, Alessandro Nivolo, Tea Leoni).

CJ

I voted "Yes", because the question is "IS Spielberg Rubbish?" which is present tense and I have to say based on his current form he is indeed, rubbish. He has however produced some of the greatest films ever and was a pretty good director. It's just a shame now that he's apparently lost it. Honestly, his recent output has been shockingly poor eg. Minority Report, WOTW...

Munich is supposed to be amazingly good, Schindler's List good without the feelgood ending kinda good.

Spielberg's a brilliant director, and has made some of the best films of his generation. Sure he's made some dross as well, but the good stuff more than cancels it out.